First VZW 4G handset(s) in February

cameroncrazy6683

Reaction score
Lte

I just attended the first LTE training for VZW. It will penetrate buildings better because it will operate on 700Mhz bandwidth. It will avg 2-5 Mbps and have a maximum rate of 12Mbps

cameroncrazy6683

Reaction score
More Good News

I also know that VZW has purchased rights to nation-wide LTE coverage that is "supposed" to be complete by 2013. Even places that do not have 3G coverage now will be LTE by 2013. This is exciting and the fact that AT&T is right at a full year behind.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just attended the first LTE training for VZW. It will penetrate buildings better because it will operate on 700Mhz bandwidth. It will avg 2-5 Mbps and have a maximum rate of 12Mbps

Well, this might very well seal the deal for me. I may be upgrading to LTE.

Does that mean it will be better reception outside too?

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Since phones come and go in the market place at the speed of light my answer is no the rates should stay the same. At some point all of the 3G phone sets will be gone as will the 3G usage. 4g is here to stay. Why buy a 4g phone and use it on a 3G network that is going away. At some point Verizon will simply remove 3G pricing on the basis that it's obsolete and all phones will be transferred to the 4g system IMhO.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
I am not sure that there is not already bottleneck issues now..

I have removed Lookout from my phone twice now. Verizon installed it the first timefor some oddity issues. I went back out and reinstalled it when my virtual keyboards started duplicating letters. The past few days I have hit refresh and stop several times because the speeds I was accustom to just arent there. I remember reading other posters saying similar remarks and after seeing this bit am wondering if "the network" is burdened. The unfairness to an average user is what guarantees me that what I am accustom to and started out with as rapid fast is now going to inch along like a modem line? Who makes that call initially? Buy your fast device today to get hooked, to slow it down tomorrow. Bummer.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Media crap... 4G means 4th generation NOT 4G speeds.

Please do not be sucked into thinking if you get these phones you will automatically get up to 1Gbit/s

4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol huh?? who said anything about 1GB/s?? 4G is 4th generation data yes. . which also equates to their own 4G speed .. there is no bench mark for what 4G speeds are or 3G speeds or any other. . thats why Sprint can market their technology as 4G cuz its their 4th generation .. in terms of speed they will be the slowest 4G speeds ot of any carrier . . but i'm not getting where or what you think a 4G speed is?

mip

Reaction score
BGR has a good article on it..

The 4G forgery | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Here is a bit of information that should set you back in your seats. Many of you have been anticipating the new 4G network being launched by your carriers. Recently the ITU (International Telecommunication Union) has defined 4G and no current or near-term carrier networks fit the definition. The official definition, summarised of course, is for a "4G"service to qualify is it must deliver peak download speeds of approximately 100Mbps in high-mobility environments (cell [COLOR=#C80000 ! important][COLOR=#C80000 ! important]phones[/COLOR][/COLOR]) and peak download speeds of approximately 1Gbps in low-mobility environments. The current networks offering this supposed technology such as WiMAX, LTE and HSPA+ certainly do not meet this definition.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
BGR has a good article on it..

The 4G forgery | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Here is a bit of information that should set you back in your seats. Many of you have been anticipating the new 4G network being launched by your carriers. Recently the ITU (International Telecommunication Union) has defined 4G and no current or near-term carrier networks fit the definition. The official definition, summarised of course, is for a "4G"service to qualify is it must deliver peak download speeds of approximately 100Mbps in high-mobility environments (cell [COLOR=#C80000 ! important][COLOR=#C80000 ! important]phones[/COLOR][/COLOR]) and peak download speeds of approximately 1Gbps in low-mobility environments. The current networks offering this supposed technology such as WiMAX, LTE and HSPA+ certainly do not meet this definition.

Sounds political at this point.. the article even says that the ITU came out with the 4G term after they already started using all the these terms in the industry .. makes you wonder what they base all this stuff off of .. for a mobile carrier to even hit 1 GB/s would be crazy! is the ITU using 4G for landline too? but for the average consumer they just know 4G is faster than 3G . .only techies will even know what a real "4G" speed "should be" .. think it was AT&T that started the whole 3G marketing thing wasn't it?

yahwarrior

Reaction score
When LTE comes to my area, probably one of the last areas to get LTE, I will not have a problem paying extra for the speed, as long as it is reasonable.

If they offer an unlimited plan similar to 3G, and it is $10 more per month, I'll sign up for it.

However, I would like to see them hit hard against those who are illegally tethering and who will slow down the system. They should pay more than a person just using a phone for service. Sorry, not popular with many, but my view.

If I ever decide to tether, I will do it legally. It is the right thing to do.

Illegally doing it? Who says it is illegal Cell Phone companys because they cant make money from it. Comon Man be real your going to sit here and be Mr. Moral! Well I got something for you how about the cell phone companys stop charging for a service that should come with you unlimited data package. So in reality it is not illegal there just mad because they cannot collect on it and for you I would have no idea why you are mad unless you own the company.
He probably thinks rooting is a federal offense too.