First VZW 4G handset(s) in February

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Nov 18, 2010.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    [​IMG]

Verizon is ready to start promoting their LTE network this year but the nation’s largest carrier is not planning on releasing a 4G handset till “1H 2011″

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Verizon Communications CEO Ivan Seidenberg said that he expects their first 4G LTE handset will come out in February and there will be more 4G devices in the market than originally expected.

Which handsets? Nobody really knows but I will have to agree with Android and Me on this one and say that the Incredible HD aka Mecha, Moto "Superphone" aka Etna and LG Star are pretty good candidates.

Rumor of paying for actual speeds and consumption seems to be what VZW will be doing.

“If you want to pay for less speed, you’ll pay for less speed and consume more, or you can pay for high speed and consume less,” Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.

How do you feel about paying more for faster data speeds? Fair? Not fair? Why not the cable companies do it? There should be no tiered pricing?

I'm sure most are just looking forward to the dual-cores first and foremost so this is a good indication that you will have a 2.5 + month wait time but the leaks and rumors will sure spark many emotions. Who's curious as to what the first LTE device will be?

Source: AndroidandMe

2. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I read somewhere that LTE might improve reception? Something about penetrating better into buildings. etc. Or did I read that wrong? If it does, that might be my only reason for wanting LTE.

3. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Cuz I think I would pay less and consume more, since I dont really consume that much as it is.

4. Detonation

Detonation Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have no problem with tiered speed, but I do not like consumption limits.

5. cj1896

cj1896 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The month of by birthday!!! I think I know what I am asking for!

6. RETG

RETG Member

Ratings:
    +8
    When LTE comes to my area, probably one of the last areas to get LTE, I will not have a problem paying extra for the speed, as long as it is reasonable.

If they offer an unlimited plan similar to 3G, and it is $10 more per month, I'll sign up for it.

However, I would like to see them hit hard against those who are illegally tethering and who will slow down the system. They should pay more than a person just using a phone for service. Sorry, not popular with many, but my view.

If I ever decide to tether, I will do it legally. It is the right thing to do.

7. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    “If you want to pay for less speed, you’ll pay for less speed and consume more, or you can pay for high speed and consume less,”

Wait what? If you have faster speeds don't you normally consume more data?

8. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is all gibberish to me. I want more leaks on these phones. Photos, specs, etc. I was happy to learn more about the LG Star a couple of days ago. Keep those leaks coming! 2.5 months will be a difficult wait.

9. crackedvenom

crackedvenom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha yeah. if my stuff is faster, im going to be browsing more.

10. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hence they'll make more money off of the people who want faster speeds because they'll also be going over their limit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. peterjariel

peterjariel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha nice I just got a nice promotion and saving 40 bucks a month, and now let's see how long that's gonna last. I hope prizes don't get to crazy

12. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    This is good and bad news.

Good = because it's more information regarding LTE devices :)

bad = 2.5 months (most likely) for dual-core devices :(

... as for tiered pricing... cable companies do it for internet speeds... so why not on your cell phone? I'm not saying I like the fact that I'll have to pay more for speed, but it's not out of the ordinary.

13. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what I was thinking, whomever posted below you made a good assumption about this though.

I use about 2GB a month on my droid, but thats mostly because I'm in college and I'm using it on the bus between classes and when I'm bored in class. I'm graduating soon and I'd imagine I would use my phone less at my job, even if it is an IT job lol

14. BUFFALOMADMAN

BUFFALOMADMAN Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Illegally doing it? Who says it is illegal Cell Phone companys because they cant make money from it. Comon Man be real your going to sit here and be Mr. Moral! Well I got something for you how about the cell phone companys stop charging for a service that should come with you unlimited data package. So in reality it is not illegal there just mad because they cannot collect on it and for you I would have no idea why you are mad unless you own the company.

15. tcayton49

tcayton49 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Guess who's eligible for an upgrade February 2011 dancedroid

Guess who lives in an area that's not scheduled to have LTE by then :angry: