First to root the Droid RAZR

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who will be the first to root the Droid RAZR?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im concerned about not having a removable battery. Now we make it work with tablets because the reset button acts like a battery pull but we know the importance of a battery pull especially if you are rooted. Hmm maybe time will prove that my concerns are not warranted but my other issue is a device runing blur not being able to do a battery pull. That could prove interesting.

r314bd

Reaction score
Im concerned about not having a removable battery. Now we make it work with tablets because the reset button acts like a battery pull but we know the importance of a battery pull especially if you are rooted.
I'd imagine the Droid RAZR must have this functionality built into the power button as well, right? There's no way they wouldn't include some sort of hard reset functionality.

Also what's the deal with the locked bootloader? If the phone can still be rooted, what are the disadvantages of the locked bootloader exactly?

On my OG Droid I don't use a custom ROM but I do have AdFree, Wireless Tether, and an overclocking kernel/SetCPU...although I can't imagine I'll be needing to overclock with the Droid RAZR. A locked bootloader won't inhibit the ability to root, right? But I wouldn't be able to, say, flash an .sbf file?

Last edited:

gmorgan056

Reaction score
P3Droid is reporting that root has been achieved for Razr. He's not claiming credit saying someone else did it, but letting everyone know.

littlebigarm

Reaction score
verizon is just trying to shut down on the mods. it wasn't motorola's idea. but the devs will find a way. they always do.

djembeman

Reaction score
P3Droid is reporting that root has been achieved for Razr. He's not claiming credit saying someone else did it, but letting everyone know.

Umm, I don't think it has been rooted. He was asking "who will be the first to root the Droid Razr?"

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Umm, I don't think it has been rooted. He was asking "who will be the first to root the Droid Razr?"

Go check out P3's twitter, I just read lastnight exactly what the guy before me said. P3 posted that it had been rooted, but that he didn't do it. Then he repeated it, just to get the point across! :)

Swyped and sent through the interwebz to you!

Felix 222

Reaction score
Also what's the deal with the locked bootloader? If the phone can still be rooted, what are the disadvantages of the locked bootloader exactly?

On my OG Droid I don't use a custom ROM but I do have AdFree, Wireless Tether, and an overclocking kernel/SetCPU...although I can't imagine I'll be needing to overclock with the Droid RAZR. A locked bootloader won't inhibit the ability to root, right? But I wouldn't be able to, say, flash an .sbf file?

Sorry to bump, but I have the same question. Any feedback?

Are phones with locked bootloaders limited to rooting only, meaning no custom roms + kernels?

Last edited:

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sorry to bump, but I have the same question. Any feedback?

Are phones with locked bootloaders limited to rooting only, meaning no custom roms + kernels?
They can only have custom roms. No kernels. So most roms are just based off the build on the phone and are not source built. Once they figure out how to do 2nd init on the RAZR then you can have open source roms like CM7 but have to use the moto kernel.

Kernels can be nice to have because they can make performance better and battery life better. Kernels are like the heart and brain of android. Without a kernel no android.

melucci

Reaction score
Winner00,

Your sig says: Next Phone - Galaxy Nexus.

I'm struggling with the decision right now and was leaning toward the Droid RAZR. Is the locked bootloader the deciding factor in your choosing the Galaxy Nexus over the Droid RAZR?

Felix 222

Reaction score
They can only have custom roms. No kernels. So most roms are just based off the build on the phone and are not source built. Once they figure out how to do 2nd init on the RAZR then you can have open source roms like CM7 but have to use the moto kernel.

Kernels can be nice to have because they can make performance better and battery life better. Kernels are like the heart and brain of android. Without a kernel no android.

I rooted my d1 back using easyroot back in the day and have been flashing roms/kernels ever since. I've had no need to research current methods and limitations of new phones until now. Thanks!

Oaklands

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about not being able to remove the battery than the bootloader. I could be happy with just having a rooted razr. The things that bother me about the nexus is the no sdcard slot and cheap build (plastic and screen).

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Winner00,

Your sig says: Next Phone - Galaxy Nexus.

I'm struggling with the decision right now and was leaning toward the Droid RAZR. Is the locked bootloader the deciding factor in your choosing the Galaxy Nexus over the Droid RAZR?
Yep! Thats one of the main reasons why I won't get the RAZR. My other main reasons are non-removable battery and the Nexus is a Google phone so it will get special treatment from google and will get all updates first.