First time user many many questions

Sidewind

Reaction score
For youtube when you are watching a video make sure you go to menu and view it in high quality..that usually fills the screen

huskur

Reaction score
New with the droid also and this is my first smartphone. can anyone tell me how to view saved text attachments? I saved the picture to the SD but i can't for the life of me figure out how to view the saved file? Help please!! Thanks in advance

Also....can you put additional ringtones on this phone? My last phone was a voyager and it was a breeze.....

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
New with the droid also and this is my first smartphone. can anyone tell me how to view saved text attachments? I saved the picture to the SD but i can't for the life of me figure out how to view the saved file? Help please!! Thanks in advance

Also....can you put additional ringtones on this phone? My last phone was a voyager and it was a breeze.....

Pull up that main menu with all your apps ando ther icons on it. Go to the one called "Gallery" and all your pictures/videos show up there. All your audio files show up under the Music icon.

You can easily set ringtones using an app called Ringdroid.

huskur

Reaction score
OK....new question for anyone who can help. Is there a way to clear your entire text messaging all at one time instead of one thread at a time?

TatDroid

Reaction score
Many of these questions about finding, moving, and renaming files are due to the fact that the Droid does not have a built in file manager. There are several good (and free) file management apps in the Market. One of the more popular (and highly rated) free file management apps is Astro. I use it and like it.

Astro will also solve the problem of having all pictures show up together when you enter the Gallery. Use Astro to set up several different folders for your pictures. Then, instead of viewing you pictures with "Gallery", go into Astro and just open the folder that has the pictures in it you want to view. (Note: ALL of your pictures will still show up together if you do view then using the Gallery - but by using Astro you now have a different way to view them)

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys i will be using these apps shortly. I thought of a few more random questions.

I've noticed lately when my phone is locked and it rings it doesnt pop up on the screen i have to unlock it first and then accept the call. Is there a shorter way of doing this? because at times when im driving or on the move I dont have the time to sit and draw the pw (connect the dots thing)

Also... how do i switch back and forth between calls? When im on the phone someone calls I accept talk to them for however long and when its time to switch back I don't see the option and I end up hanging up on everyone.

And (its verizon not the phone) when someone calls me and im on the line already it beeps for the caller, letting them know im on the phone. I kinda don't want that since sometimes I dont want them to know im ignoring them lol leaves an akward moment when they call back or text saying "I know you was on the phone!" Can you call verizon and tell them to take that off or am i stuck with that?

And does anyone know of a camera app that can record videos while the flash is ON? The flash doesnt help much for pictures in the dark but at least with a video i can get a little something or just use it as a flashlight when i come home at night.

Thanks again as always!

Last edited:

alm0614

Reaction score
for private pics, download astro file manager and then make a folder called .pics or .vids

the droid wont display any folder with a . in front of the name in the default video/picture viewer.

then just move the pics to that folder

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
I absolutely love the astro app thank you! Its exactly what I wanted. Files folders no previews of "private" images lol absolutely great!

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Hey everyone! After some luck of running into an app, I answered one of my own questions. For an app that records videos with the light on. It's called "MotoTorch LED"

Its just a simple app that controls the Dual LED used for the camera, you can pretty much turn it on and use your phone as a flashlight, and while its on simply use the cam to record stuff. Pretty awesome also has strobe light and Morse code feature lol. Never know when you need that S.O.S. lol.

And if anyone can help with the other questions:

I've noticed lately when my phone is locked and it rings it doesnt pop up on the screen i have to unlock it first and then accept the call. Is there a shorter way of doing this? because at times when im driving or on the move I dont have the time to sit and draw the pw (connect the dots thing)

Also... how do i switch back and forth between calls? When im on the phone someone calls I accept talk to them for however long and when its time to switch back I don't see the option and I end up hanging up on everyone.

And (its verizon not the phone) when someone calls me and im on the line already it beeps for the caller, letting them know im on the phone. I kinda don't want that since sometimes I dont want them to know im ignoring them lol leaves an akward moment when they call back or text saying "I know you was on the phone!" Can you call verizon and tell them to take that off or am i stuck with that?

Thanks!

boatman2220

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about that. I wont go nuts trying to figure out what I did to make this Weird al video go full screen but the naruto episode isn't lol.

New question!!!

Does anyone know how i can MOVE a pic from a folder I have into a different folder? For example I have pix from the camera, and pix ive saved off of text messages but they are only in the "downloaded" folder. I want to move the pix into my other folders I had previously created in my other phone that is now on this sd card. (Idk if i made sense or not)

I can't find any options to move a picture. Let alone name or even rename it. Any ideas?
Go to the Market search File Manager . I use Astro, the Droid doesn't have a built in file manager.

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about that. I wont go nuts trying to figure out what I did to make this Weird al video go full screen but the naruto episode isn't lol.

New question!!!

Does anyone know how i can MOVE a pic from a folder I have into a different folder? For example I have pix from the camera, and pix ive saved off of text messages but they are only in the "downloaded" folder. I want to move the pix into my other folders I had previously created in my other phone that is now on this sd card. (Idk if i made sense or not)

I can't find any options to move a picture. Let alone name or even rename it. Any ideas?
Go to the Market search File Manager . I use Astro, the Droid doesn't have a built in file manager.

Someone mentioned that earlier and I been using astro ever since, even naming the folders .watever as long as there is a dot there the folder contents never show up when going to attach pix/videos to text so its a great great help. I dont have to pay for video/pic safe.

Thanks for trying to help though =) always appreciate it... now for the questions above!

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
I had to comment.. as a developer who is working many many hours to learn the APIs to hopefully provide solid apps/games down the road, I would REALLY appreciate it if people would pay the $1 for an app that is useful to them. $1 is sooo little money for something you find use for. I have paid for several apps, and some games. Even paid $20 for a kewl app on my old iPhone it was that good and worth paying for. I know there are going to be a lot of teens/youngins with this (and other Android) phones who either don't have access to pay as their parents got them the phone, or want to try to skirt around paying for anything.. the hacker variety... and I understand that, I was once there too. But that was back in the day when video games were $50 for crappy games with lots of bugs, and movies were (and still are) $20 for a DVD with some color that costs less than $2 for the entire package. These days, asking for $1 for an app is SO SO little money for even a teenage kid. There are some people, that at $1 per copy, make a lot of money.. it is seemingly rare, but there are some apps that do infact cost a LOT of time and money to make. It's only fair to pay a measely $1.

To look at it another way.. when CDs were $15 and you wanted just one song.. a bunch of us complained to the world.. "I don't want to pay this much for all these other songs..I just want this one song..can I buy it." Then came iTunes and other services, that allowed you to buy a single song for $1. It is huge and for good reason. Being able to pay a $1 or $2 for something you REALLY want over $20 (or say $50 for software) for something you only want part of, or wont use much.. is ridiculous. So, in the case of these little computer platforms we hold (Android and iPhone), developers spend a lot of time making even simple apps. There is a LOT that goes into developing an app for a very limited memory/cpu platform like these phones are. All the stuff we learned about writing software for desktops goes out the door..well most of it. Instead, we now have to do a lot of optimizations that we learned were not needed when developing desktop software.. and more so, early optimization is bad. But for these devices, we need to spend the time to learn how to do this right to provide quality programs for these devices. Therefore, asking for $1, or $2, or even $50 in some speciality apps, is really not a lot. We're banking on 100's to 1000's of people paying $1 to make up for the months we spend on one little app.

So please, be fair, pay the $1 for a full version of an app if you like it or will use it. It's the right thing to do.. and trust me, very few apps are going to be so big that the developer is going to get rich off of it. Most of the time, your helping the developer continue to develop and still put food on his table.. s/he are not out buying expensive cars and retiring at 22 years of age because their app sold 2 million copies. That is a rare thing indeed!

Have to +1 this--every app which had a "Donate" or an "Elite / Advanced" version I use I have bought to keep the community going. Like I said in another post, I've shelled-out less than $10 for the things I use on a daily basis in order to support the Developer community--it's the least we can do.

- Mega (who in no way knows code and never will)