first time smartphone/droid user

droidblood

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and say that I'm excited to finally be part of the smartphone revolution. Especially since my first smartphone will be a moto Droid. I'm coming from 3 1/2 years of using a moto razr (same one LOL)

I've been eligible for upgrade for almost 2 years now. Verizon is finally getting more of my money, but I am happy cause I'm getting the baddest smartphone on the market.

Is this a good deal? I got the Moto Droid, car charger, universal mount, 5 universal screen protects, mini usb adapter, 16 GB card, and 1 mo insurance(upgrade later) for $61.94 - shipped.

I don't have my droid yet but it is enroute via fedex. Too bad I ordered so close to a weekend following a holiday. 2-3 day shipping just turned into more like 5 or 6 days!!! The anticipation is KILLING me!

In the meantime, I'm reading the forum, watching videos and just soaking as much info as I can about the Droid and its all-inclusive capabilities.

This thing is gonna be AWESOME!!! I look forward to tapping into the amazing pool of knowledge on this forum and all the video creators.

Any advice for a smartphone/Droid newbie? I'm thinking of modding, rooting, and customizing...Should I create a backup of the "out of box" droid before I do anything? Don't know where to start, but I am "all ears" for suggestions....thanks in advance.

It's Thursday, estimated delivery of Droid is Tuesday next week...GULP.

Dudeicus_Maximus

Reaction score
I might be new to these forums but I'm not new to Android. That said... here's my opinion:

:reddroid:+1 on not installing the update. It will download it automatically and then prompt you to install it.:reddroid:

It's not impossible to root 2.1 (you'll get it in 2.0.1) but I guess it's easier to go from 2.0... I don't know, I did the stock update to 2.1 and rooted it.

My advice would be to make sure the ROMs you use come from reputable sources. No disrespect to up and coming ROM cooks... I'm just saying, be cautious. The same goes for applications. Always read what permissions the application is requesting. When you go to install them from the Market, you'll see them listed before accepting the download. And be very very careful when installing non-Market apps.

Nandroid is your friend. Your best friend. Second to Google.

I would suggest doing an advanced Nandroid backup right after you flash a recovery image but BEFORE rooting in case you want to go back. I have three Nandroid backups: 2.1 non-root, 2.1 fresh root (which I did right after obtaining root) and the third is the one I keep replacing, 2.1 root overclock with my apps.

:greendroid:Read the forums!:greendroid:

And finally, you will notice a world of difference if you overclock. I'm running 800mhz (Chevy's) and it's like butter. I experience zero problems (though I did at 1ghz). I have Set CPU set up so that it clocks down when it's charging, when the battery starts to drain too low, and when it gets too hot. Just be careful with it. If you plan on owning this phone for as long as you owned your Razr, you might want to consider the possible damage over clocking can do (unless you've done it on a PC and know all about it already)

Almost everything I just referenced can be found in these forums, or just Google it. All of this terminology will make loads more sense after a few days of you using your device and reading the forums.

PS - If after accessing the terminal you get the urge to start using Linux on your PC... go with it. It's free.

Last edited:
OP
D

droidblood

Reaction score
No updatey, got it. What's the best version for rooting?

I'm not looking to "max" out the clockspeed, maybe just a lil boost is all. What are the increments of overclocking? 10, 50, 100 Mhz? So far it seems the general consensus is 800Mhz provides plenty of power without taxing the battery overly much.

I will probably check it out for awhile in stock mode, just so I will have a basis of comparison to being rooted. What's the best (most stable) kernel for O/C? and are there different ROMs for customizing power distribution options or is it all the same in SETcpu?

Sorry for such amatuerish questions....thanks everyone

Dudeicus_Maximus

Reaction score
No updatey, got it. What's the best version for rooting?

I'm not looking to "max" out the clockspeed, maybe just a lil boost is all. What are the increments of overclocking? 10, 50, 100 Mhz? So far it seems the general consensus is 800Mhz provides plenty of power without taxing the battery overly much.

I will probably check it out for awhile in stock mode, just so I will have a basis of comparison to being rooted. What's the best (most stable) kernel for O/C? and are there different ROMs for customizing power distribution options or is it all the same in SETcpu?

Sorry for such amatuerish questions....thanks everyone

I've been using SetCPU since I had my Eris, don't know about the other(s).

Increments I think depend on how many slots... anyone? The one I'm using has 125, 250, 550, 700, 800, 900, 1000

As far the best/stable kernel, I've tried four different methods to overclock and only one worked. But that's because I'm using the stock 2.1 over the air update rooted. Someone else is going to have to answer questions about custom Droid ROMs and what kernels work best.

OP
D

droidblood

Reaction score
Good info Dudeicus_Maximus and thanks. You say only one method of rooting worked for you and it was stock 2.1 with OTA update? Do you have a link by any chance for the guidance? T I A...

Anyone else with suggestions? I want to explore all available options.

I can almost see myself becoming a tech junkie after using this phone (or is it something else?) ...

Crazy idea but can a desktop PC be overclocked? I haven't powered that thing up in over a year LOL. I do everything on a laptop...Maybe I should stick with one thing at a time LOL! DROID for now...dancedroid

Dudeicus_Maximus

Reaction score
Good info Dudeicus_Maximus and thanks. You say only one method of rooting worked for you and it was stock 2.1 with OTA update? Do you have a link by any chance for the guidance? T I A...

Anyone else with suggestions? I want to explore all available options.

I can almost see myself becoming a tech junkie after using this phone (or is it something else?) ...

Crazy idea but can a desktop PC be overclocked? I haven't powered that thing up in over a year LOL. I do everything on a laptop...Maybe I should stick with one thing at a time LOL! DROID for now...dancedroid

No, only one method of overclocking worked. I started a thread about it.