First time smart phone user

Tator

Reaction score
My new Razor arrives tuesday.

How do I load the music I have on itunes to it? I have created a music folder of my playlist on my hard drive. Can I just move that folder onto the phone? Also, can I make ringtones from this music?

Sorry if this is basic stuff but my family just got me into the 21st century communication.

What else do I need to know about using this type of phone.

Tator

jtpowell

Reaction score

How do I load the music I have on itunes to it? I have created a music folder of my playlist on my hard drive. Can I just move that folder onto the phone? Also, can I make ringtones from this music?

Sorry if this is basic stuff but my family just got me into the 21st century communication.

Tator

If you are married to iTunes you can make a folder on the phone and drag the music from your iTunes playlist to it. I find a better option for me is to use Google Music (Google it). Then I can do whatever I want in iTunes and things automagically stay in sync over the cloud.

SallyC

Reaction score

Tator

You can use Google Music as jt suggested. Also, set up MotoCast which will allow you to sync files and also iTunes playlists. I have it set up to share my music, pictures and documents which I can then access from my phone's Music, Gallery and Files apps.

If you listen to podcasts, I would recommend the BeyondPod app from the Market.

OP
T

Tator

Reaction score
Thank you. That looks easy for me to do.

OP
T

Tator

Reaction score
Can you use both Moto cast and Google music?

OP
T

Tator

Reaction score
are you able to edit the songs into ringtones?

Zandar

Reaction score
To make your music into ringtones:
https://market.android.com/details?...ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yaW5nZHJvaWQiXQ..

As for the music transfer, it depends on your usage. If you have unlimited data and will be connected with a reliable connexion all the time, things like streaming via Motocast and Google Music are great (Motocast also implies that you have a home PC that's on and connected, too). I think it's simplest to just copy the music onto your device. Android lets you drag and drop, just like with a USB thumb-drive. You can still play all of the music through Google Music, too, but it will not require a connexion and it takes no bandwidth (uses less battery, too).

Since you're new to smartphones, I would also adjure you to check out streaming radio. It's like the old XM radio, but far more customisable. Here's Pandora, to get you started (you may already have an account with them for PC based streaming; if you do, simply download the app and sign in):
https://market.android.com/details?...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5wYW5kb3JhLmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

Have fun learning. You've come to a great site for it. You're going to love your device; makes so many thing easier in life!

LES8873

Reaction score
You can use Google Music as jt suggested. Also, set up MotoCast which will allow you to sync files and also iTunes playlists. I have it set up to share my music, pictures and documents which I can then access from my phone's Music, Gallery and Files apps.

If you listen to podcasts, I would recommend the BeyondPod app from the Market.

Sally - Do your playlists from iTunes sync correctly via MotoCast? I have a question out here in a different forum that nobody has been able to answer yet. I set up playlists in iTunes, but when MotoCast did the wireless sync, the playlists only partially copied. I tried to add the missing albums manually, but when I longpress on the album and select add to playlist, the only option is to create a new one, it appears that there are no playlists. I tried the reset and resync and got the same result. I have also had problems while using the player (My Music) where a song will cut out in the middle and the player states "can not load". Any ideas???

SallyC

Reaction score
I don't have playlists sync'd. I usually shuffle all or play by artist. Sorry.

The cutout might be a network issue if you're streaming. I'm not having that either. Also make sure none of the songs are iTunes DRM.