First time rooting, quick question.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by KCannon09, May 27, 2013.

1. KCannon09

KCannon09 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I finally grew a pair and decided to root my Bionic (4.1.2). I've been out of the loop with all the new tech gadgetry for awhile... Emulators were the last thing I tinkered with :huh:
    So naturally, I did some reading and convinced myself the wifi tethering was reason enough to root.
    My question is; I want to factory reset, but I've already rooted (successfully). My only reason for this is I feel I'd be more comfortable starting with a clean slate. Would it benefit me in anyway, one way or the other?

In the mean time, I'll be reading some of the FAQs since this place is a new discovery to me.
    Look forward to poking around the community. Thanks for any help, and apologies if I'm in the wrong section.

2. wicked

wicked DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +539
    Current Phone Model:
    Sony Xperia Z3
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    You won't lose root after a factory reset. Might just have to re-install Superuser app.

Welcome to the site! :welcome:

3. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +334
    What he ^^ said. :)

Welcome aboard.

4. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Welcome to the site. To answer your question more specificially: There isn't a real good reason that you NEED to factory reset, unless you just want to, or you're having issues that you haven't told us about. Basically, rooting adds the root binary to your file system, and you use an app like Super User, Super SU, etc., to access it. Aside from that, everything else works the same. In regards to wi-fi tethering, you can use Fox Fi, or you can use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether. This app is free, and works great for root users like yourself.

Hope you have fun with your Bionic! It's a great phone. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. KCannon09

KCannon09 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone, and No, I don't have any issues. Just thought that cleaning out the device and starting from bare bones might make it easier to learn.
    As I said, this is my first time rooting any device so I'm learning as I go. If there's no real benefit I'll leave well enough alone and continue enjoying this new found freedom.

So far so good, I'm tethering to my new Tablet (another excuse to root. Lol) And still have some reading to do before I start playing with much else.
    I do have another questions though. I've read in some cases ClockworkMod/ ROM Manager can run into some issues, whereas SPRecovery (I believe thats the name) sounds like a more solid choice. Having already started using CWM would it be silly to also get SPRecovery and use it instead. I understand I can't use both as an interchangeable backup. But if I could avoid future problems, and perhaps have more potential with one over the other I would prefer to use it and get comfortable with it instead of having to make a change down the road.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to sit down and play with everything a little more. I'm still overcoming the learning curve and want to be sure to take my time and make sure I actually understand what I'm doing. Its been alot of fun thus far, and sure to be better once I fully understand everything.

6. Dalvik_Cache

Ratings:
    +125

Well, here's the options: One the Bionic you can either use Clockwork Mod, or Safe Strap. Safe Strap is built on TWRP Recovery. My personal preference is TWRP. The biggest reason is that it seems to be a little more "complete". Additionally, with the new Safe Strap you can have up to 5 different installs of Android on the same device. The nice part about the Bionic is that it has a locked boot loader. This means that the Bionic is a great phone to learn on because its extremely hard, virtually impossible to hard brick it. I recommend def. doing some serious reading before you tinker with much more. You are at a pretty critical stage at this point. Rooting a phone isn't a big deal, messing with the recovery partition can be. It can lead to loss of data because of wipes, etc.

7. KCannon09

KCannon09 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm atleast on the right track it seems. I figured rooting would be the easiest part of the process, and everything that followed would take much more time to figure out and feel comfortable to start making changes. I'll just continue to take it slow, and do my reading. Luckily for me, there's a lot of good threads posted to the forums.
    Many thanks for all the replies. I'm sure eventually I'll have more questions, but for now my curiosity is appeased.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dalvik_Cache

Ratings:
    +125
    No problem, I sent you my gtalk via private message. Add me if you have any questions.

Search tags for this page

bionic 4.1.2 root

root motorola droid bionic 4.1.2