First time rooting!?! problem?

barski

Reaction score
So i stepped up and decided that im going to root my droid x. I used a tutorial from droid life. Its a one click method. Well anyways i set it up they way it says, clicked doroot then i got a message saying
adb connection we be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login
i didn't do anything because i didn't know what to do
then my droid x restarted, now its on the red eye and has been there for a couple on minutes now.

What should i do?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
take out the battery and let it sit for a few min

also, restart ur computer to see if that fixes the adb problem

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
idk what happened but my phone just shut down from when it was on the red eye. I restarted it and tried it again. NOW IM ROOTED!!!

mods feel free to remove

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
me to....i was so relieved to watch it boot up again.dancedroid already have wireless tether.:icon_ banana:

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
okay i got one question. Do i have to use Root Explorer or am i missing something? Im trying to use Android Mate and Astro to rename some apps i dont use, but always get failed to rename or move.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes, root explorer. only file explorer (that i know of) that has R/W permissions and u need that to rename apps.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
thanks, i got my apk's renamed. Now im looking to install some themes or possibly some roms. I have the Droid X bootstrap and Rom Manager. I guess what im try to do is like make an image of my phone, like we do with computers, just in case i screw it up.

I have it backed up with Titanium backup and MyBackup Pro. I just dont want to screw it up and have to reflash it back to 2.2 stock with nothing on it and unrooted.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
use clockwork to make the backups (can be found in the free version of rom manager)

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I just tried it and just reboots my phone and there is no backups in the "manage and Restore Backups" area.

I never applied the Droid X bootstrap before trying the backup. Should i apply the bootstrap then do back up?

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes go into bootstrap and hit the bootstrap recovery button it will say successful (hopefully). Then go into rom manager and do a backup current rom and name it something and let it do its thing.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
okay i managed to make a back up through clockwork. I tried a reboot into recovery (with pressing the power and home key)(not through droid x bootstrap), just because i was curious, and was taken back into the normal android recovery.

I was kinda expecting the clockwork recovery with the option to restore the last back up i made, but i was wrong.

Is that the way its supposed to work? if i mess my DX up how can i restore it from my backup? Say it wouldn't boot but i could get into recovery.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jackzor

Reaction score
Anytime after bootstrap when your phone doesn't fully boot up and a restart happens then recovery comes up on its own. If you mess up and your phone doesn't boot. Just pull the battery out and start over. Recovery will boot and restore.