First Time ROM User

xthek1ng

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction as to how I can use ROMs on my D3? I've never done this before and I wanna play around with something faster than the stock ROM. If anything, can somoene provide step-by-step instructions on how to install a ROM and "flash" and stuff. All these terms are new to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction as to how I can use ROMs on my D3? I've never done this before and I wanna play around with something faster than the stock ROM. If anything, can somoene provide step-by-step instructions on how to install a ROM and "flash" and stuff. All these terms are new to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Start here: Droid 3 Hacks Check out the "How to Root" and the "How to Use Safestrap" threads. DF Members have created a wealth of knowledge. Those will give you the basic foundation for flashing. Then check the individual ROM developer threads for a ROM you find interesting and follow the dev's install directions.

When you bork your phone, and you will eventually, search for the SBF how to's to revive it. ;-)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Start here: Droid 3 Hacks Check out the "How to Root" and the "How to Use Safestrap" threads. DF Members have created a wealth of knowledge. Those will give you the basic foundation for flashing. Then check the individual ROM developer threads for a ROM you find interesting and follow the dev's install directions.

When you bork your phone, and you will eventually, search for the SBF how to's to revive it. ;-)

What he said! ;)

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

anthony_rada

Reaction score
Yes what he said!! Lol its actually pretty simple if you follow the developers install instructions.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Do LOTS and LOTS of research. Make sure you've got full coverage insurance. Check out rootzwiki.com and android police for some in depth introductions to what rooting is, what the terms are etc.

jjhiza

Reaction score
I agree with every response here. I'd also like to suggest that you always read the OP, the first couple of pages (to see what initial bugs were found), and the last couple pages (to see if most of the major issues have been tested and resolved). Every dev will post a changelog, but it's the user feedback that will give you the best insight into how the majority is faring with the firmware as a daily driver. :)