First time post Bionic touch screen

phoenixus

Reaction score
Mine still has not gone crazy since I plugged in my old charger for a few minutes, then returned to the charger that came with the phone. Is it possible this had something to do with the phone charging up for the first time (which is when this happened to me).

I really hope we can figure this out before 14 days passes though...I do not want a refurb after spending $300 on this phone.

OP
tpearson25

tpearson25

Reaction score
I took it back to Verizon and they gave me a new one. It is working fine now!!! Thanks for all your help.

BenB

Reaction score
This scares me a bit given that this is exactly like the known issue that plagued my Original Droid and eventually rendered it unusable. I assumed that this issue would be would be a non-issue since Motorola is using newer screen technologies. But, now, I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to a glitch in Moto's design, manufacturing, radios, etc.

I did not see this in the Photon but that doesn't mean that the issue didn't exists.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
This scares me a bit given that this is exactly like the known issue that plagued my Original Droid and eventually rendered it unusable. I assumed that this issue would be would be a non-issue since Motorola is using newer screen technologies. But, now, I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to a glitch in Moto's design, manufacturing, radios, etc.

I did not see this in the Photon but that doesn't mean that the issue didn't exists.

very small number of people reporting this issue... VZW is more than happy to swap out the phone.

BenB

Reaction score
very small number of people reporting this issue... VZW is more than happy to swap out the phone.

Of course they will during the first 14. Let's be realistic, the value of the contract far out weighs the value of the phone.

That being said... In my case, I had purchased my original Droid from Best Buy, not realizing that their "insurance" was through a third party. Once the issue had reared it's ugly head, I was a year and 1/2 into my contract and, unknowingly to me, the insurer had "discontinued" the policy. Naturally, Verizon took the position that the issue was not a documented issue and I could, therefore, purchase a new phone out-right or pay the ETF. Shame on me for not being more savvy on the policy. Shame on Verizon for a) not acknowledging the penetration of the issue and offering me a refurb and b) trying to corner me and, quite frankly, mislead me into buying a $600+ replacement.

At the end of the day...
  • DON'T assume that the issue will expose itself within the first 14 days. For many users, it did not show up for months.
  • DO assume that Verizon WILL replace the phone within the first 14 to keep you from easing out of your new contract.
  • After the first 14... Caveat Emptor.
  • I don't ever want to be in this position again.
One final note... I don't buy using a specific make/model cable as being a reasonable solution to this issue. I have so many micro-usb chargers in my offices and home (Samsung, Blackberry, Palm, etc). Eventually, I will surely use a cable that isn't manufactured by Motorola. Either it's a standard micro-usb port or it isn't.

Last edited:

bionic210

Reaction score
Deff noticing that with my screen as well. Had the crazy phantom pushes a few times while charging before and noticed that the lock screen dsnt feel very smooth at all compared to like the x or the x2. Wanna get into a store soon to compare mine to another bionic display r something.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bionic210

Reaction score
When you guys pull up the multitouch keyboard and try to type does something seem wrong like screen related? Here try this test, take your finger and put it on a button and move from left to right and in circles over the keys, does it randomly stop following your finger and select a key? Or does it keep up with your finger the whole time and not select any keys until you lift your finger back off they keyboard? Mine will stop and select a random one.

bionic210

Reaction score
Deff. Thx for ur feedback. Anyone else having this prob?

phoenixus

Reaction score
I've had this problem twice since I bought the phone last Thursday. Both times it occurred while the phone was on the charger. As soon as i take it off, it quits. There have been other times though I've had the phone on the charger and had no issues at all.

Should I return this phone and get a replacement?

BTW, if I do that, how does that work? Does Verizon give me a brand new one from the store right then?

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I've had this problem twice since I bought the phone last Thursday. Both times it occurred while the phone was on the charger. As soon as i take it off, it quits. There have been other times though I've had the phone on the charger and had no issues at all.

Should I return this phone and get a replacement?

BTW, if I do that, how does that work? Does Verizon give me a brand new one from the store right then?

If your problem is only when it's charging I have to ask...
are you using the cord and block that came with the Bionic or are you using an old one?

phoenixus

Reaction score
I am using the cable/box that came with the bionic.

When it happened the first time, it was during the initial charge right after I got the phone. I unplugged it from the charger that came with the phone and used the one from the droid 2. The issue stopped. I went back to the original charger and the issue still didn't occur.

Then last night, I was charging using the original charger and it happened again.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I am using the cable/box that came with the bionic.

When it happened the first time, it was during the initial charge right after I got the phone. I unplugged it from the charger that came with the phone and used the one from the droid 2. The issue stopped. I went back to the original charger and the issue still didn't occur.

Then last night, I was charging using the original charger and it happened again.

My opinion:
Take it back and swap it out for a new one.

To quote Dennis Miller: "Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong".

phoenixus

Reaction score
Will verizon give me a brand new one right on the spot from the store?

Anathema

Reaction score
Will verizon give me a brand new one right on the spot from the store?

Yes, they should since it's still so early.

If they don't you can always convince them, and you should. It's bullcrap if they mail it to you.