First time installing a ROM, need a little help

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by cpuwhiz22, May 24, 2010.

1. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am currently downloading Bugless Beast and would like to try it on my rooted 2.1 Motorola Droid with SPRecovery. I have never installed a rom, but I have installed many hacks manually. My question is, what is the procedure for installing this ROM? Do I need to rename to update.zip and then apply it through SPRecovery? Also, if so do I need to wipe user data and cache? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. lee__D

lee__D Member

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/41770-rom-bugless-beast-v1-0-ese81.html heres the huge BB thread

and yes wipe data/cache first, then apply update.zip

3. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want you can just get ROM manager and download it through there. If you use sprecovery you will have to rename it to update.zip and yes you should definitely wipe data/cache a couple of times before you install the ROM. Make sure you have a good backup before you wipe and install the ROM in case anything goes wrong

4. killabyte

killabyte Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    definitely use rom manager instead of going through all that renaming hassle and wiping one time is sufficient. nothing to be gained by wiping more than once.

5. cpuwhiz22

cpuwhiz22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Well I tried the update.zip method in SP recovery and it seemed to load OK, but is missing some stuff (wifi tether mainly). From what I am reading this is because it didn't install the data.tar file. Is there a way to do this with SP recover? I am going to try the ROM manager, but my biggest concern is that I am using SP recovery right now, and I dont want to lose my existing backups. The other question I have is that I know ROM manager uses clockworkmod recovery, and I obviously do not have that installed. Will the ROM manager install clockworkmod, or do I need to install clockworkmod before installing and using ROM manager? My biggest concern with switching recovery images is that I might lose my existing backups though.

If there is a way I can install bugless beast properly with SPrecovery it would be preferred, so if anyone knows how I can do that I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

6. pdroid

pdroid Silver Member

Ratings:
    +7
    ROM Manager will flash clockwork recovery for you, and will also allow you to re-flash SPrecovery if you need to. You can easily switch back and forth between the two.

7. pdroid

pdroid Silver Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Pete's file should work by renaming to update.zip and installing in SPRecovery, though. I don't understand what you mean by data.tar didn't install, it should install everything, make sure you wipe data+cache before installing.