First time Droid Owner

cjv0825

Reaction score
It's my first time owning an Android phone and I went with the Droid Pro. I'm coming from an EnvTouch.

Anyway, any suggestions on what I should do first with the phone or step-by-step instructions on how to maximize the battery or applications. Any free app suggestions? Suggestions or tips on set-up?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited to start using this phone!

zippinveedub

Reaction score
wow I made the same switch yesterday, love it so far

in for tips and suggestions as well

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Two Welcome's in one - :welcome: both to D/F - anything you need along the way, just ask

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to both of you. I came from an enV touch in august and have been loving every minute.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

flash24

Reaction score
My suggestion is get the extended battery and you wont regret it.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

zippinveedub

Reaction score
I looked at getting that, I'm upset that I can't run my silicone cover though. I've already ran into some issues with battery life. I've found that killing some services manually seems to help but they always get restarted. Looking into rooting it and freezing/deleting some factory apps.

bwhite757

Reaction score
I will agree, battery life is not the greatest with this phone, however I've been carrying a spare battery since the BB Storm 1 days. You can get a spare battery, plus wall charger (The kind you just put the battery into) on eBay for about $20. The battery is light and pretty thin, I throw it in my back pocket with my wallet, and charge it at the end of the night with my phone. 2 regular batteries and I can be on the DPro pretty much all day and not have to worry about battery life, plus my case/holster still work.

It's preference though. I personally would rather go through the little bit of trouble of swapping out a battery once a day then deal with the extra bulk, and wait on special cases to come out.

To the OP:
The simple answer is read through the forums. You'll gain tidbits of knowledge here and there, and get good suggestions on apps from reading other people's posts. I have mixed feelings on some of the "Tips" people are giving for maximizing battery life, as far as killing applications. Tops you'll get an extra hour out of your device, not really worth it. I would adjust the brightness of you phone down a little, and either set the screen timeout faster, or get in the habit of hitting the power button when you're done looking at the device.

If you're willing to root your device, I would recommend removing the "Bloat" (Programs pre-installed by Verizon) simply because they're taking up space, and you'll never use them. Also after rooting download Wireless Tether from the Market. Turn your phone into a HotSpot without the VZW fees.

The Pro is a great phone, but only You can customize it to the way You want. Just play around with it, and get to know it. And welcome!