First smartphone

jeff2053

Reaction score
Found this site in my search for my first smartphone I think I've narrowed it down to the RAZR or the Nexus but deciding between these two is not an easy task hopefully I will be able to get some direction from the experts on this site. I'm also looking forward to checking out what everybody is using for apps
Jeff

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

The differences have been covered ad nauseum in their respective forums.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Welcome to the forums :) And when selecting a phone, it comes down to preferences. This is a great place to get feedback from people who own devices you are considering :)

nbucko

Reaction score
If this is your first android phone you may be happier with the razr as nexus devices tend to geared more towards developers and those of us who like to root and rom. The skins that manufacturers put on (moto blur, htc sense, and samsung touchwiz) usually offer features that make it a bit easier to personalize your device if you aren't familiar with the other ways of doing it. A lot of people here tend to dislike these skins but I've found that they are kind of nice.

The nexus will be nice but may not have the visual appeal that you may like sense it "shouldn't" have a skin on it. Just make sure you play with a few phones before you pick since you'll be stuck with it for nearly two years unless you want to drop some serious coin to get another.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Welcome to the board

It's pretty hard to give advice for phones that aren't even out yet. Normally I say head to the store and check'em out for yourself, but if you head to the store the won't be there :p.

You can read up on them and see the differences between them, but remember that's on paper or your monitor.....
If this is your first smartphone and you're unfamiliar with technology, I think you should go with the Razr. I believe the UI will be a bit friendlier for you and overall an easier phone to use. The Nexus is supposed to be easier to use, but I've many people vanilla android and many were a bit confused by it, again I don't now how tech savvy you are. Nexus will run Android's latest OS, Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's supposed to be easier to use, but it is aimed towards developers. The Razr will receive this update in early 2012, the rumors say, but most likely will have Moto's UI on top of it.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Welp... Here's a thread of apps everyone uses... Hopefully more people well post on it. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178950

As to the phone. Like Dezy said, it is hard to judge a phone when it's not out and harder when it's only rumors. I'm planning to go with the Nexus, but the average user probably wouldn't be thrilled by it. They would be more impressed with a super thin phone with kevlar or a phone with beats audio. The rezound/vigor is looking pretty good a well, but so far those are just rumors. And we'll have to set the battery life before anyone goes with the Rezound.

They all have their perks.

Gnex: Pro. Ice Cream Sandwich and a pure Google experience (doesn't mean much to the average user). No buttons, Camera! Curved screen, thin, giant screen!
Neg. No sd card.

Razr: Pro. Thin, light, SD, kevlar steel, splashproof.
Neg. No removable battery.

Vigor (Rezound): (only rumors for now) Beats audio, it's a powerhouse with 1.5 GHz, removable battery and SD.

Neg. Not really any yet since all is rumors, but HTC devices tend to get bad battery, and with those specs any device would get bad battery! ;)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!! Looks like you got loads of advice already so I am just going to welcome you :)

kparks

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.... I would go with the rezound #1 then the razr.. if I were u I would pass on the nexus

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums