First Smartphone: Droid X or HTC Thunderbolt

funkyb

Reaction score
Plus the dual-core actually helps battery life because it divides up tasks and uses fewer resources at any given time.

Sorry but that isn't right. Dual core does not use less, it uses more. You have to power two processors, and their clocks are ticking even if you are not using the processor cycles. The only thing that affects current draw is the actual core's design, and whether or not it's running w/ the low or high multiplier (whcih changes in real time based on demand).

If the bionic uses less power on the CPU, it has nothing to do with being a dual core and everything to do with the architecture within each individual core.

jmorrison230

Reaction score
stick with the TB and 4g. I looked at droidlife.com and they had a verizon map of all the cities that will have 4g by the end of the year. If you are near or live in the city then with your heavy surfing you will be better of in the long run. Me i am waiting for the bionic. Will make the TB look sorry

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'd say thunderbolt, but as you mentioned it does have its weaknesses.

If you really like the X, you can find them pretty cheap on ebay right about now and you won't get locked into a contract.

Then you can just wait for the next generation of 4g phones that will have dual core processors.

May be able to get the best of both worlds this way, droid X for under $150, then nothing holding you back when the next bad-ass device drops.

this one's at $145 with 20 minutes left http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Droid-X-Verizon-/140525455588?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item20b7f848e4#ht_500wt_1046

jmorton10

Reaction score
If you really like the X, you can find them pretty cheap on ebay right about now and you won't get locked into a contract.

That would be what I would do certainly, I think the TB is a complete waste of money at this point (& it is really not much different than the X)

~John

elvyrorie

Reaction score

That would be what I would do certainly, I think the TB is a complete waste of money at this point (& it is really not much different than the X)

~John

Other than the bootloader is still locked! Lol, but you probably aren't interested in all that.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

androidgeek

Reaction score
Thunderbolt has got my vote. Just got it today and so far I'm pretty impressed. My friend has DX and I would much rather t-bolt. The x is much lighter but it all depends on the person really. Different strokes for different folks. This is my first HTC and I'm liking it right now. I would definitely give the tbolt a go and see what you think. Good luck!

Sent from my brand spanking new T-Bolt using DroidForums App

jmorton10

Reaction score
Other than the bootloader is still locked! Lol, but you probably aren't interested in all that.

Like everybody else, I wish it wasn't but it's not worth the money for the t-bolt when new phones are right around the corner that will kick the t-bolt to the curb.

If the X & the t-bolt where the same price, of course I would buy the t-bolt but it's not even close.

~John

OP
M

max105

Reaction score

Like everybody else, I wish it wasn't but it's not worth the money for the t-bolt when new phones are right around the corner that will kick the t-bolt to the curb.

If the X & the t-bolt where the same price, of course I would buy the t-bolt but it's not even close.

~John

I agree with you too. Besides for the 4G network speed, I didn't notice much difference between the Droid X and the Thunderbolt when I was playing with it at the Verizon store. If anything, I like the Droid X screen more too.

Responsiveness while browsing a web page was negligible to me. Home screens on the other hand was way faster on the TB, but I think I'll be spending most of my time navigating web pages than the home screen.

However, when people compare 3G/4G to dialup/broadband, I think I would be kicking myself if I do become a heavy data plan user. When I had the Droid X, I was on wifi 90% of the time.

For those of you who work full-time and have wifi at work, do you still use 3G/4G or do you use the wifi? Do you guys really find yourself waiting on the 3G network often?

OP
M

max105

Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for awhile, but what do you mean by being locked into an Unlimited 4G plan??

I would assume that 4G is not nation wide available... So that would likely scare most people away from purcashing.. Am I wrong?

Also, end of life 3/31?? Looks like I'll have to do some researching myself.

Supposedly, Verizon will be moving to a tiered data plan like AT&T and getting rid of the unlimited data plan. That's what I read:
Verizon: We’re Moving to Tiered Data Plans This Summer | Android Phone Fans

Here's some links regarding the end of life:
DROID 2 and X Pegged for March 2011 “End of Life” Status - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
Droid X near its "end of life" - Verizon Wireless Community

OP
M

max105

Reaction score
I'd say thunderbolt, but as you mentioned it does have its weaknesses.

Then you can just wait for the next generation of 4g phones that will have dual core processors.

May be able to get the best of both worlds this way, droid X for under $150, then nothing holding you back when the next bad-ass device drops.

this one's at $145 with 20 minutes left Motorola Droid X (Verizon) - eBay (item 140525455588 end time Mar-22-11 12:59:37 PDT)

Buying a used Droid X is another option I'm considering. This will buy me more time to see how the Bionic fares against the Thunderbolt.

OP
M

max105

Reaction score
I'm a little biased since I just got my TB and love it (my fiance has the DX and is totally jealous). I've only had it for 2 days, but out of the box my gut reaction is the battery issue has been heavily overblown. Took mine off the charger this morning at 7:50am, it's now 2:00pm and I'm at 71%. No, that isn't amazing, and no I'm not on 4g, but I've done a LOT of texting now, several emails, facebook posting, phone calls and light web surfing. If this remains constant by the time I get home from work (6pm) I'll be at above 50%. Not saying people are making things up, but I'm not exactly sure what they were expecting.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. In your case obviously getting a free DX is a nice deal. It's behind the curve, but then, who cares, it's a fine phone. My point is though, if the deal breaker is battery life, don't let all the negativity keep you from getting the TB if that's the only thing, seems to be it's been greatly overstated (especially since you said you're not in a 4g area).

Or wait for the Bionic. But by the time that comes out though someone will be telling you to just wait for the next thing.

Actually, I do live in an area with 4G (San Francisco). Btw, is it true that using 4G drains the battery faster? I've heard some people say this but also hear people on 3G complaining about battery performance too.

OP
M

max105

Reaction score
I've had both phones longer than anyone else on the planet (had pre-production models of both phones). The Thunderbolt is easily the better device in all aspects, and at worst, is equal to the DX--including battery. (Keep in mind that the Droid X is a 4" screened 3G device, and I have the TBolt on 3G, so that is an apples-to-apples comparison.)

I don't know why people are complaining of poor battery life on the TBolt. I have the same programs installed, same Account syncs, and same display settings and I get equal if not better battery with my Thunderbolt. (I think it's another knock against MotoBlur vs. HTC Sense, but I'm no expert.)

Interesting experience. Someone else said the Droid X had poor battery life at first too. I assume your pre-production model Droid X had these battery issues too. Did you compare this with the Droid X after the fix/patch for the battery issues were applied?

If what you're saying is true, this is definitely reassuring news for the Thunderbolt's battery performance.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
^ yes, 4g inherently drains battery faster than 3g. That doesn't mean you can't set the phone to 3g and only turn on 4g during times of heavy browsing though...

Sent from my ADR6400L

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
I get great battery outta my thunderbolt..idk what the ppl who are reporting 4-5 hrs of battery are doing with their phones but I unplugged my tb at around 4:30 am and almost 12 hrs later I'm still at 60% :p

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App