First Smart Phone: Droid X Wow! -Overwhelmed!

M24

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm glad I found this forum. I put off getting a smart phone for as long as I could, because I knew it would become an addiction. I see all my friends and co-workers with their Droids, iPhones, etc., and I finally gave in.

I don't mind being a newb and I hope I won't get blasted for asking newb questions.

I just picked up my Droid X last night and have barely had time to play with it. First off, it is awesome! I wish I would have gone down this road several years ago, but... anyway, I was able to use it as my alarm clock this morning, which was easy enough.

I installed Firefox and am wondering if that was a mistake. How do you switch tabs in that or the default browser? Is there a way to "right click" if you will, like with a mouse, on a link on a page?

Also, what's the best podcast app? I have several subscriptions and would like to manage them on my Droid.

I just installed Stitcher, and got hooked in to one of my subscriptions, but that app doesn't seem to have much of an interface, it just automatically loads the most recent podcast.

Any suggestions for a better app? One that is more intuitive and feature rich perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I hope to be a Droid pro asap!

Best,

M

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the madness.... and yes it's an addiction. :)

The Firefox you download is only in beta, so it's not fully functional and leaves much to be desired.

You can try the stock browser, or Opera Mini... or Xscope has a lot of fans in Android as well.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have not heard good things about firefox for Andoid...I stick with the stock browser

OP
M

M24

Reaction score
Thanks! I see that this could become madness...

I think I will uninstall Firefox.

Also, is there a way to kill the "notification sound" ???

I don't like it at all, and there seems to be no option for: no notification sound.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I don't like it at all, and there seems to be no option for: no notification sound.
You can choose "silent" for the notification sound :)
:welcome:to the forum. I have to say I am staying away from Firefox. I tried it and it was too slow for me. I prefer Dolphin Browser personally.
I knew I forgot to mention another big one! Dolphin.... doy

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You've got two choices. You can either turn off all notifications (silent mode) or do what I did. Grab Ringdroid from the Market and use an MP3 file for your notifications. Something you wouldn't mind.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I put off getting a smart phone for as long as I could, because I knew it would become an addiction.

You have no idea....But your about to find out...

Welcome to the Forum dancedroid

OP
M

M24

Reaction score
I put off getting a smart phone for as long as I could, because I knew it would become an addiction.

You have no idea....But your about to find out...

Welcome to the Forum dancedroid

Thanks.

So, another newb question: is it normal for apps that I quit to keep running and restart themselves seemingly at their own will?

It's kind of annoying really. Am I going to have to run one of the app killers that I've heard folks talking about?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
There are certain apps that are gonna run no matter how many times you close them. Personally I wouldn't use a task killer. If too much is open Android will start killing stuff for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Am I going to have to run one of the app killers that I've heard folks talking about?

App Killers are not needed, Let the OS do it's job and enjoy your phone.