First rom

rvnwlf

Reaction score
So I am looking to install the latest UD rom. I have the original Droid (a855) which is rooted and at 2.2 (ota) prior to rooting.
I have rom manager, titanium backup and the required apps to go with them. My question is can I just use rom manager to load/install UD? I keep reading about different kernels and am still a little unclear if I need to do any thing with that. I know I would want to backup my existing rom. Would I also want to do the clear cache option?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Backup your apps with TB (don't forget the TB accounts).
You won't find UD ROMs on ROM Manager. I use SPRecovery which can be flashed using RM. If you'd like to keep your text messages, I'd recommend SMS Backup & Restore.

DroidForums junkie!!

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
UD roms aren't on rom manager so you would have to copy the file to your computer and copy it to the root (no folder) of your sd card. I use clockwork recovery which you can flash with your rom manager. once you have your recovery set up you wanna use titanum back up and back up all your apps, data, text messages and whatever else you think needs backing up. After that go into your recovery (power off phone and at the same time hold power and x until you see m screen). Scroll down to nandroid and create your back up or you can back it up right in rom manager. After you've backed up clear you cache 3x and also factory reset (data wipe) 3x. After that you're ready to flash your rom. Good luck

doublea500

Reaction score
UD roms aren't on rom manager so you would have to copy the file to your computer and copy it to the root (no folder) of your sd card. I use clockwork recovery which you can flash with your rom manager. once you have your recovery set up you wanna use titanum back up and back up all your apps, data, text messages and whatever else you think needs backing up. After that go into your recovery (power off phone and at the same time hold power and x until you see m screen). Scroll down to nandroid and create your back up or you can back it up right in rom manager. After you've backed up clear you cache 3x and also factory reset (data wipe) 3x. After that you're ready to flash your rom. Good luck

why a factory reset 3x?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Once is enough.
I dl'd everything over 3G and use Androzip to move the file to SD root and rename it. I also use SP vs CW. 6 months of flashing and not even 1 issue.

why a factory reset 3x?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
R

rvnwlf

Reaction score
Okay so Move the UD file to the root of the SD card, flash clockworkmod recovery, use Titanium Backup and backup user apps and system data or just user apps? The backup info will be kept on the sdcard and to recover from it all I need to do is re-install Titanium Backup from the market to get everything else back?
I guess that's the part I'm confused about. How to recover the TB saved data after everything is cleared out.

Thanks in advance. :)

OP
R

rvnwlf

Reaction score
When I open ROM manager and I select Install ROM from SD card I'm given the option for ROM Pre-Installation. I can chose Backup existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache. Do I not want to use that rather then booting into recovery mode?

dbst

Reaction score
When I open ROM manager and I select Install ROM from SD card I'm given the option for ROM Pre-Installation. I can chose Backup existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache. Do I not want to use that rather then booting into recovery mode?
You can but rom manager has been known to cause problems, I would recommend manually booting into recovery, making a backup, wiping, and then flash the rom

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You need to backup with TB BEFORE you clear the data and cache or it won't work.
With CW, you don't need to rename the zip, just have it on the root of your SD card. I use, and prefer, SP. A few extra steps but its less finicky than CW.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
R

rvnwlf

Reaction score
I have it to a point where I have a yellow ! with no options. I hold the vol up and camera to get to the Android System Recovery (should I even be there?). All I have for options there are reboot system/apply update.zip/ wipe data factory reset/ wipe cache/ wipe baseband date. None of those are sounding right.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Use ROM Manager's reboot to recovery option

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
R

rvnwlf

Reaction score
Ahh.. Okay Now I see it. I had to do the flash recovery again. I did that a couple of days ago. It seems like you need to do that right before you use the reboot to recovery option. Is that the way it should be? :)