First ROM Since Cyanogen to Truly Embrace Open-Source

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining it better cvpcs. I see where this can be a huge success and can't wait for it to take off!

Isaiah

Reaction score
No don't get me wrong, I did. I went and read both sites. I don't really see anything unique about it yet

Ok... As the title suggest, it is the first truely built from source ROM since Cyanogen. They didn't use koush's vender setup, etc. They did it all on their own. A lot of other built from source ROMs used koush's vendor setup. This was all down ON THEIR OWN, built all on their own, using their own vendor setup they made. Maybe sniff or cvps can explain it better.

That is essentially the largest bonus. The most unique thing about this ROM isn't currently the feature set, but more the way in which it is built.

Now don't get me wrong, Cyanogen and Koush do fantastic work and while the vendor setups for my ROM were complete rewrites, I did spend a lot of time looking into their setups to determine how they set them up and why, and then redo them from scratch.

The thing about pulling from cyanogen's repos is this: He has been working on this since the early days of Android 1.5/1.6, and therefore as he made mods, it becomes harder and harder to merge in the 2.0.1 and 2.1 and so on updates, as the source has changed so much. Sapphire takes a more hands-off approach to mods. If I can add a feature without modifying the original source, I do it that way, even if it is a bit round-about (so long as it's stable). In this way, when a new version of Android comes out (can someone say 2.2?), then theoretically I should be able to simply drop in the new source (since the original hasn't been changed), apply any minor updates I need to, and be ready to go. This means faster source releases, less re-coding of the same features, and generally better all-around stability.

Also, another big reason for this ROM was simply to have another one out there that DOESN'T depend on cyanogen and koush's repositories, because it is my opinion that choice is an important thing, and open source is all about doing things your own way with what is given to you, and not about being locked in to using one defined source.

Those are a few of the ideas behind sapphire. I tried to best explain them on the site, but perhaps I will overlook the text again and see if it can be explained better.

Also, there's the many things that I have floating around that i'd like to implement, some of which have been done before (like using spare-parts to pick your default text color for notifications and whatnot), and some which have not (like ripping out the core OTA functionality and replacing it with my own).

I hope that helped to answer the question of what is different about this ROM. :)

Yeah, I get that I looove open source. I understand (and greatly approve of) the methodology for your modifications, I'm more curious as to what was modified; in essence, what separates this from stock? (and its cool to have minimal modifications/features, but I'd still like to know what they are.)

Id install it and find out but I finally got a stable rom tweaked specifically to how I like it and am not ready to destabilize that quite yet, at least not without very good reason.

Last edited:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that I looove open source. I understand (and greatly approve of) the methodology for your modifications, I'm more curious as to what was modified; in essence, what separates this from stock?

Id install it and find out but I finally got a stable rom tweaked specifically to how I like it and am not ready to destabilize that quite yet, at least not without very good reason.

Well there is always a backup to go back too. ;)

Isaiah

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that I looove open source. I understand (and greatly approve of) the methodology for your modifications, I'm more curious as to what was modified; in essence, what separates this from stock?

Well there is always a backup to go back too. ;)

True, but I still like to look before I leap.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you just gonna have a rom for droid or are you going to have anything for the evo or other android devices.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Thanks for the introduction, I can't wait to check out the rom, and btw sapphire is my birthstone so I'm more then excites to checking out the goods, again welcome!

52brandon

Reaction score
wow, this is very interesting. I like the logic of being able to just drop in new source code cleanly. And look at sniffle, finally pulled it off. I was watching your progress on alldroid for a while until they changed formats... congrats to you guys and I look forward to giving your ROM a run once 2.2 source code drops

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Are you just gonna have a rom for droid or are you going to have anything for the evo or other android devices.

I would love to develop for other devices, but sadly I only have a droid at the moment, and don't feel I would produce a good product if I were to code "blindly" and use testers. For that reason I won't be developing for any platforms that I don't have physical access to.

That being said, I am always open to donations (a button is available on the release pages), and also have been polling some of my local friends who own various other phones to see if they will let me play with their hardware, though that never seems too promising. haha.

My dream would be to one day release various roms all built around the same concept as sapphire, each under their own moniker. i.e.:
Ruby (for incredible)
Emerald (for droid 2)
Onyx (for evo)
etc, etc.

The beauty in it is, that since it's all compiled from source, all that SHOULD need to be set up to get the various other hardwares working is the device setup for each.

But that is something far off from now :)

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the introduction, I can't wait to check out the rom, and btw sapphire is my birthstone so I'm more then excites to checking out the goods, again welcome!

sapphire is actually my birthstone + blue is my fav color, so the name was a no-brainer for me :D

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
ok cool gunna try this baby tomorrow, any screenshots?

I've added a screenshots section to the release page. :) There isn't a whole lot to look at since it's just the stock theme, but I tried to get some pictures of a few of the niceties.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Talk to koush and try to get on ROM Manager, this sounds like excellent work, well done!

Sent from my Droid
better yet koush can buy it so he can put it on ROM manager.

Let's make these devs some money : )

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
already have been in contact with koush, he's ready to put it on ROM Manager. just waiting to get the permanent links online so that it will all work (i already have the manifest files written and ready to go :D)

Will this be a ROM Manager only rom?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Download is on their wikipage.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Download is on their wikipage.

I know that, But he's talking of making it available via rom manager.
If that happens, I hope it's still available on his wiki as not everyone cares for rom manager.