First real trip with google maps navigation

glamtek666

Reaction score
Navigation on this phone flat out rocks. Ive used it locally, and out of town several times now and I'm consistently impressed by it's accuracy.

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
As noted on another thread, I was very surprised to arrive home a few weeks ago to find that my Droid displayed a photo of my house with the car I was driving in the driveway.

That's just kick @$$ and a little scary.
Two thumbs for SkyNet Navigation.
Im very very impressed with skynet nav ....aka google nav. it kicks the $hi! out of my garmin.

OyVOid

Reaction score
"Bottom line, I LOVED it! Being able to enter destinations by saying "Navigate to Ihop in Bremerton....etc. "

Hey, it sounds like you live up in the Northwest. I used to live in Port Orchard when pop. was around 5,000 at the time. I miss it.

Google Maps and Google Sky Map are on my top favorite apps. Very useful, indeed. But I have posted elsewhere that navigation is not 100% dead on. Sometimes you have to use your common sense.

Briankbl

Reaction score
"Bottom line, I LOVED it! Being able to enter destinations by saying "Navigate to Ihop in Bremerton....etc. "

Hey, it sounds like you live up in the Northwest. I used to live in Port Orchard when pop. was around 5,000 at the time. I miss it.

Google Maps and Google Sky Map are on my top favorite apps. Very useful, indeed. But I have posted elsewhere that navigation is not 100% dead on. Sometimes you have to use your common sense.

lol I have only had one bad mishap with Google Nav. I was driving along a major street and approaching my next turn. "Turn Right" it says. It's late, it's dark, and I almost ran into a ditch haha. Apparently, the road it wanted me to turn on hasn't been there for about 5 years :)

It rerouted me, though, and all was right in the world again!

OyVOid

Reaction score

lol I have only had one bad mishap with Google Nav. I was driving along a major street and approaching my next turn. "Turn Right" it says. It's late, it's dark, and I almost ran into a ditch haha. Apparently, the road it wanted me to turn on hasn't been there for about 5 years :)

It rerouted me, though, and all was right in the world again!

I had posted on another thread that the Google navigation gave me some wayward directions while I was in L.A. It told me to turn right and my destination would be on the right, but in actually my hotel was on the opposite side of the street. On my right was a fenced yard for a cable company parking lot.

Also, I love Google Maps nav. and I use it all the time, but I seriously want to re-program the voice for my navigation on my Droid. Which I have named "Shirley" because of the incident above. You see, Shirley has a slight speech impediment. Instead of of saying, "Turn right on Broadway, it says, "Turn rye." I have to laugh every time I hear that. My BF can't help but throw in, "Yeah, I want some Pastrimi with that." everytime he hears it. It's so funny. We laugh our heads off. :)

deputc26

Reaction score
Any issues with Data Roaming? Because...It has issues loading up maps if you get lost and you're roaming...

But then, someone posted a claimed letter from a VZW rep saying that if your phone says "Extended Network," you don't incur any roaming charges. But I'm a bit worried about activating data roaming [as you can do when the little icon pops up in the status bar]...

Other than that, I totally agree. It kicks a**!

You can turn data roaming off quite easily in settings if you are worried about this.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The voice is annoying though.
I wish they didn't use text-to-speech synthesis for the voice prompts but I can understand that it probably is more efficient than using sound clips. However, Telenav on my BB used clips without any problems. Guess I'll see what they do in the future and what other nav solutions may become available for Android.

swallman

Reaction score
I finally used it last week on a trip to Memphis and Arkansas and it worked great. I just wonder when they're going to come out with an updated version of the software (since this is still just "beta"). You'd think/hope that they're working on making it even better. Anyone else heard about any pending updates to the Nav software ?