First real trip with google maps navigation

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jdubbya, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jdubbya

jdubbya New Member

Ive had several windshield mount navs, a Pioneer Avic-X910BT, this was my first real trip trying out the navigation on the Moto Droid.

Bottom line, I LOVED it! Being able to enter destinations by saying "Navigate to Ihop in Bremerton....etc. Awesome. Saved my at least 5-10 minutes each time by not having to look up and peck out the addresses. Heck, I didnt even know the addresses to any of the places I went to. Dont get me started on how long it takes to do a POI search on any of the devices Ive tried so far.

Voice commands and input were flawless, destinations were always the first result that popped up in the list after giving the navigate command. In bigger cities, the street view of the building would pop up as you get close.

Ive never had any of my nav systems tell me that the destination was on the left or right. :icon_ banana:

Works great even while running Pandora in the background.
  2. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 New Member

That's pretty awesome that it pops up the street view of the building! I still think it's hilarious that Google has the best maps and Garmin has to buy them off of Google.. too funny!
  3. Droidlicous

Droidlicous New Member

Good to know, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really use it. I used it back when the Droid first came out from Utah to Arizona and it was dead on...
  4. 78racing

78racing New Member

I used navigation last week, we needed to see if there was a shorter way to get where we were going. Worked flawless and saved me time; wife sat in the passenger seat with total disbelief. She kept saying "how does it know that". Too Funny; this is the Greatest device(phone) I have ever owned.
  5. MinConst

MinConst New Member

Yea navigation sure beats my Garmin. I've used it many times for calls and estimates. I must say I havent even tried voice commands for navigation. But I will next time.
  6. justbob

justbob New Member

Google Navigation rocks!

It's living proof that it's not so much the hardware platform that makes smart phone great It's computing power and the network that supports it.

'Nuff said.
  7. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Any issues with Data Roaming? Because...It has issues loading up maps if you get lost and you're roaming...

But then, someone posted a claimed letter from a VZW rep saying that if your phone says "Extended Network," you don't incur any roaming charges. But I'm a bit worried about activating data roaming [as you can do when the little icon pops up in the status bar]...

Other than that, I totally agree. It kicks a**!
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Really used it the other day when I kind of got lost. I knew the general direction but I wasn't quite sure. I pulled over and grabbed the text message that was sent to me for the address I needed to go to, pressed on the address part (handcent) and up popped navigation options. Soon I had the vocal navigation going and it took me right where I needed to go and I definitely would have missed the street had it not told me 500 ft ahead.

Droid is just so cool.
  9. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

I have been with verizon for the last 7-8 years and never once have i incurred data roaming charges. Im not sure who is spreading this false info but one of the main reasons i have stuck with verizon for so long is the fact that they never charge roaming fees
  10. zakany

zakany New Member

The only thing I miss using my Droid instead of my Garmin are the voices. I want sexy Karen to talk to me through my phone. Voice navigation is more than a toy; it's a much more efficient way to tell the device where to take me.
  11. Papasmurf

Papasmurf New Member

I use it all the time just to use it. One of the many perks to get this phone was the free NAV for some. Thats how I conviced my wife she should get one because she could care less about the other stuff I told her. Now she loves everything about the phone because the NAV attracted her. Its even better that the thing IS awesome and dead on. Go Google!
  12. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Thanks for the reply! I know that T-mobile didn't charge for roaming at all, whether you were in an extended network, or out of their network altogether and on some random [small-town, po-dunk, boondocks] network, but it scared me when the warning came up about data roaming and when I clicked to enable it, another warning popped up that I might incur extra costs... Guess I could always just drive out into the sticks and enable it for just a little while and see if anything shows up on the bill...

I saw that someone mentioned caching maps on another thread and asked how that was done, but no one ever answered me. Anyone know anything about that just in case?
  13. gruve

gruve New Member

I used the GPS on my Droid last night for the first time since I let my sister use my Tomtom. It was dead on accurate. The voice is annoying though.
  14. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

I also am trying to figure this out
  15. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

As noted on another thread, I was very surprised to arrive home a few weeks ago to find that my Droid displayed a photo of my house with the car I was driving in the driveway.
  16. glamtek666

glamtek666 New Member

Navigation on this phone flat out rocks. Ive used it locally, and out of town several times now and I'm consistently impressed by it's accuracy.
  17. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID New Member

That's just kick @$$ and a little scary.
    Two thumbs for SkyNet Navigation.
    Im very very impressed with skynet nav ....aka google nav. it kicks the $hi! out of my garmin.
  18. OyVOid

OyVOid New Member

"Bottom line, I LOVED it! Being able to enter destinations by saying "Navigate to Ihop in Bremerton....etc. "

Hey, it sounds like you live up in the Northwest. I used to live in Port Orchard when pop. was around 5,000 at the time. I miss it.

Google Maps and Google Sky Map are on my top favorite apps. Very useful, indeed. But I have posted elsewhere that navigation is not 100% dead on. Sometimes you have to use your common sense.
  19. Briankbl

Briankbl Member

lol I have only had one bad mishap with Google Nav. I was driving along a major street and approaching my next turn. "Turn Right" it says. It's late, it's dark, and I almost ran into a ditch haha. Apparently, the road it wanted me to turn on hasn't been there for about 5 years :)

It rerouted me, though, and all was right in the world again!
  20. OyVOid

OyVOid New Member

I had posted on another thread that the Google navigation gave me some wayward directions while I was in L.A. It told me to turn right and my destination would be on the right, but in actually my hotel was on the opposite side of the street. On my right was a fenced yard for a cable company parking lot.

Also, I love Google Maps nav. and I use it all the time, but I seriously want to re-program the voice for my navigation on my Droid. Which I have named "Shirley" because of the incident above. You see, Shirley has a slight speech impediment. Instead of of saying, "Turn right on Broadway, it says, "Turn rye." I have to laugh every time I hear that. My BF can't help but throw in, "Yeah, I want some Pastrimi with that." everytime he hears it. It's so funny. We laugh our heads off. :)