First OTA update from Verizon DEC 11th

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I gotta say...I hope the update makes this Droid a new phone all together. I can beleieve the slew of problems I keep getting, but most importantly the the call quality. It's first and fore-most, a phone.

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. I can't believe Verizon finally put out a phone that competes with the iPhone.

So far my issues are...
1) Echoing, call crackling, and voice coming out low on the receiving end.
2) There are times when I text that pressing one letter on the touch screen, produces that letter repeatedly, so typing hello, comes out heeeeeeellllooo. Like it's too sensitve at times.
3) I get dropped calls pretty often.
4) I can't forward texts, really?
5) You know, the camera.
6) The GPS will lose my location at times, putting me a good mile away from the actual location. Which has made Locale useless.
7) Lately simple apps such as weather bug and, google finance, and shopsavvy have been force closing and it seems the my phone is running slower.
8) I'm pretty sure that my battery is getting worse. I used to be able to go 2-3 hours before the 90%-80% battery mark, now I get there in 30 mins.

I'll stop there. There are many others, but these are my biggest. Hopefully the OTA update will correct the issues and more.

I just know Verizon. Come January, they'll start working and a bigger and better phone and the Droid will fall to the wayside. Hopefully they will stay true to their flagship phone and keep updating it to stay up to date with the market.

My wife is up for her new every 2, but she won't make a decision until January to see if Verizon/Google stay true to their updates, or if they'll quickly forget when they officially announce the new flagship phone.

Sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes, I typed this quickly on my Droid.

I'm not experiencing any of those issues other than the camera's inability to take decent pictures. I would say I'm lucky, but this is not my first droid. However, now that I have a working unit, I really can't complain about many of the issues you listed. Call quality is great, virtual keyboard is smooth, gps finds me quickly and is very consistent, force closes are rare, and I haven't noticed any change in battery performance. Maybe you should make an exchange?

YosM45

Reaction score
I went into Verizon on Saturday, and they were going to replace it, but I noticed that I have a build # 20 and all the ones they had in the store were al build # 20.

I fugured I'd wait until they got newer ones in before I exchanged it.

Do I have this build # thing correct? Or is there something different I should be looking at?

If so, what kind of build numbers are some of you getting?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The update should resolve a lot of issues but I'm fortunate that I haven't experienced any of them :icon_ banana:

markol91784

Reaction score
None of the issues

I gotta say...I hope the update makes this Droid a new phone all together. I can beleieve the slew of problems I keep getting, but most importantly the the call quality. It's first and fore-most, a phone.

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. I can't believe Verizon finally put out a phone that competes with the iPhone.

So far my issues are...
1) Echoing, call crackling, and voice coming out low on the receiving end.
2) There are times when I text that pressing one letter on the touch screen, produces that letter repeatedly, so typing hello, comes out heeeeeeellllooo. Like it's too sensitve at times.
3) I get dropped calls pretty often.
5) You know, the camera.
6) The GPS will lose my location at times, putting me a good mile away from the actual location. Which has made Locale useless.
7) Lately simple apps such as weather bug and, google finance, and shopsavvy have been force closing and it seems the my phone is running slower.
8) I'm pretty sure that my battery is getting worse. I used to be able to go 2-3 hours before the 90%-80% battery mark, now I get there in 30 mins.

I'll stop there. There are many others, but these are my biggest. Hopefully the OTA update will correct the issues and more.

I just know Verizon. Come January, they'll start working and a bigger and better phone and the Droid will fall to the wayside. Hopefully they will stay true to their flagship phone and keep updating it to stay up to date with the market.

My wife is up for her new every 2, but she won't make a decision until January to see if Verizon/Google stay true to their updates, or if they'll quickly forget when they officially announce the new flagship phone.

Sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes, I typed this quickly on my Droid.

I have almost none of these issues are you sure you do have a bad app installed causing the problems? Use macro for the camera it seems to work okay.

Is you GPS set to use satellites. I hears this was a problem and if you use satelites it fixes it.

Last edited:

YosM45

Reaction score

Why cant you?
Mine does this very well.

Just long press on the message and a menu pops on screen

Thank you, I just learned something new. It does forward.

Yes, my satellite is ON, but for some reason, there are times it won't register unless I'm moving and other times it doesn't register unless I'm standing still.

I did experience my 1st frozen black screen yesterday. I was setting my alarm, and when I pressed the home button, the screen went black as if it was going back home, stayed black and would not respond. I had to remove the battery to reset it.

I'm definitely going to exchange it, but I going to wait a bit later until some newly produced ones are available.

mikera67

Reaction score
Some of the problems, maybe mostly minor hiccups are:
using on-screen keyboard gets behind and sluggish.
long wait taking second pic. Side note I noticed when the camera wasn't working due to the timestamp issue, to take a pic the on screen button worked almost everytime, the physical button almost never.
the more Alps you install, the slower the phone is, I've done a system restore twice and its snappy for few days then slows down, rebooting does help.
I can't get accustomed to the physical keyboard yet,do love the on screen one.
the USB mini jack is broke, either I never saw it or it came that way or using home dock causes it, mine work but it is so loose. Verizon. Agreed to send me a new one, one Rep said I broke it, I told him to piss off.

All in all I love this phone, sw needs work but I was expecting early issues. And growing pains, give it time, after the second update it will be a killer! !!!!

R

racklefratz

What about the on call blankout problem?

That may be a hardware issue related to a faulty sensor. Mine does not have this problem. I'd exchange it for a new one.

Mine doesn't either.

You can test the sensor function when in a call. Move the phone away from your head and the display should return. Move a couple of fingers across the top left corner of the phone an inch or so away. The display should blank out then return as your fingers move away from it.

If the phone is on speakerphone, the display should remain on unless your display timeout setting turns it off.

mikera67

Reaction score
I've. Noticed most issues such as lag and force closes can be ,resolved by resetting the devise to factory. Its a last ditch fix for me, but the Droid flies again. I strongly believe its due to either poorly written apps, but mostly the new 2.0 OS that has a few bugs to work out, and I believe December 11 should fix a bulk of these. The problem is we download a bunch of Alps, most we never use but. Wanted to try out, and then the system slows down. Task killer and a home apparently seemed to bring my Droid to a crawl. Now after I know which apps I like, reset to factory, it flies, and now I never install more than one app so I can see how it affects the system. Resetting isn't that bad, contacts, Calender events come back 100%, what stinks is. Use handcent and all my custom settings are gone, need to find a backup apparently for this. If your experiencing lags or the Droid acts funny, try it out until the majority of bugs get worked out, I've done it twice.

mydroidworks

Reaction score
dead serious my droid works and i dont have any bugs or errors or crashing apps etc

I'm so confused at this update because my droid works flawlessly....I am not making this up I don't have one bug or error that is going to be fixed on this new ota update. I feel bad for everyone because I think that you all received lemons. My camera take great quality photos with no grain or delay or any errors...my calls work, I can hang up just fine, my bluetooth works, the internet and dolphin browser with multi touch works great, all my apps work and have never crashed I can view flash sites and watch tv online and the 3g is super fast I have over 100 apps installed and no memory issues I can view avis and divx movies and listen to mp3s and I am 100% serious I have had it from day one and not one bug or flaw and not one fix in the update seems necessary.....thus I am confused...my phone works perfectly and maybe they sent out some workable droids and then some lemon droids cause all these unhappy people there must have been some bad droids that got sent out cause promise I don't have one issue it is so much better and faster than my old iphone and I will send anyone pics or video of it working perfectly to prove it....anyone else have a perfect droid like me?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please think about the probability that everyone got a lemon BUT you...

Also, flash does not work on your phone. Just doesn't because it is not possible yet.

The Droid will only play the following video formats:
AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, WMA, eAAC+, OGG, AMR WB, AMR NB, AAC+, MIDI

Other than that, my Droid does all the same things you listed.

Last edited: