First Ligit 2.1 Rom for Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by liamjbman10, Feb 10, 2010.

1. liamjbman10

liamjbman10 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I take NO credit for this.
    Go see for yourself AllDroid - View topic - NexusOne/CyanogenMod for Droid successfully built from sourc

If this guy is ligit ,Koush, this ROM sounds like the first real ROM I have seen yet. Instead of taking ports from other people and making .zip upgrades, this guy took 2.1 ripped from the Nexus and used a method that Cyanogen uses to build ROM's and built a killer 2.1 with "(new Launcher, Live wallpapers, multitouch on browser/maps, V8 javascript engine, etc)." koush

I would check this out, Because it sounds better then any ROM I have seen so far.(If its how I'm picturing it) He has some nice pictures on his post to.

2. Cole119

Cole119 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow this looks like it kills the update we are gonna get this week.

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this comment in that thread pretty much sums up what I was thinking:

4. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    we've had the ported 2.1 from nexus working on the droid for a long time now with perhaps a few small issues. sounds like this is the first completely compiled 2.1 straight from source for droid. THAT is very significant I'd say, but it won't have any hardware tweaks moto might have done to the kernel.

5. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    We'll have our own full 2.1 to create a ROM from in a short while.

6. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Ratings:
    +3
    That video is lame. I can do everything he can using BB.

7. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    samiusmc, the point of all the excitement isn't so much the capabilities of the ROM, it's the way the ROM was built.

The previous "custom" Droid ROMs were basically what is known in the BlackBerry world as a "hybrid", where different pieces of official OSes for different devices are thrown together into something a bit different than the stock OS. It uses preexisting modules from different OS builds.

This is a from-source ROM made for the Droid, meaning the individual lines of code that make up the Android OS are run through a compiler specifically for the Droid's chipset. This in theory should mean the code is more optimized to run on the TI OMAP3430 chipset.

Obviously, an OS BUILT for the Droid will run better on the Droid than an OS BUILT for the Nexus.

8. Mike84

Mike84 Member

Ratings:
    +0

^this.
    This is the first REAL rom for the droid, not a copy/paste job like the others. The dev has compiled this from scratch using the source from AOSP/cyanogen

you should be exited!

9. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not gonna give us anything we don't have, that is true.
    But like mentioned, this is the first ROM compiled from source, and available BEFORE Motorola's, that alone makes it very significant indeed.
    Not to mention it has the 2.1 launcher and live wallpapers which won't be in the official update.
    Once again, rooted > stock.

10. HMJB

HMJB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A pure rom coded for the Droid + tweaks from one of the best Android devs
    vs
    a compilation for the droid (in your case BB) slapped together.. dont get me wrong it is good..

Big things can be happening for this rom, thats all. I am keeping an eye on it for sure.. :)

11. liamjbman10

liamjbman10 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. This is a new way to make ROMs. It will be so much better and not based on something that isn't made forr droid. They have done this for G1 for so long.

12. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not impressed till the source code is released to the other developers for authentication. Its a video that could have been made from any custom ROM build imho. I'm not saying this isn't awesome if its true, but without some sort of proof I just feel a bit.....blah about this.

13. Yota

Yota Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My question would be can you unroot it? What I mean is the N1 can be unrooted but the bootloader is still open and leaves a unlocked symbol which still leaves it voided for warranty work. If this was made with the N1 2.1 would it have the same problem if installed on the Droid?

14. victorythagr8

victorythagr8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You fail to mention compilation of other devs work into one rom. Does this rom even support 1ghz overclock.

15. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He just posted the update.zip

hmm