First Ligit 2.1 Rom for Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by liamjbman10, Feb 10, 2010.

1. liamjbman10

liamjbman10 New Member

I take NO credit for this.
    Go see for yourself AllDroid - View topic - NexusOne/CyanogenMod for Droid successfully built from sourc

If this guy is ligit ,Koush, this ROM sounds like the first real ROM I have seen yet. Instead of taking ports from other people and making .zip upgrades, this guy took 2.1 ripped from the Nexus and used a method that Cyanogen uses to build ROM's and built a killer 2.1 with "(new Launcher, Live wallpapers, multitouch on browser/maps, V8 javascript engine, etc)." koush

I would check this out, Because it sounds better then any ROM I have seen so far.(If its how I'm picturing it) He has some nice pictures on his post to.
  2. Cole119

Cole119 New Member

Wow this looks like it kills the update we are gonna get this week.
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I think this comment in that thread pretty much sums up what I was thinking:

4. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

we've had the ported 2.1 from nexus working on the droid for a long time now with perhaps a few small issues. sounds like this is the first completely compiled 2.1 straight from source for droid. THAT is very significant I'd say, but it won't have any hardware tweaks moto might have done to the kernel.
  5. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

We'll have our own full 2.1 to create a ROM from in a short while.
  6. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

That video is lame. I can do everything he can using BB.
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

samiusmc, the point of all the excitement isn't so much the capabilities of the ROM, it's the way the ROM was built.

The previous "custom" Droid ROMs were basically what is known in the BlackBerry world as a "hybrid", where different pieces of official OSes for different devices are thrown together into something a bit different than the stock OS. It uses preexisting modules from different OS builds.

This is a from-source ROM made for the Droid, meaning the individual lines of code that make up the Android OS are run through a compiler specifically for the Droid's chipset. This in theory should mean the code is more optimized to run on the TI OMAP3430 chipset.

Obviously, an OS BUILT for the Droid will run better on the Droid than an OS BUILT for the Nexus.
  8. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

^this.
    This is the first REAL rom for the droid, not a copy/paste job like the others. The dev has compiled this from scratch using the source from AOSP/cyanogen

you should be exited!
  9. Topsy

Topsy New Member

It's not gonna give us anything we don't have, that is true.
    But like mentioned, this is the first ROM compiled from source, and available BEFORE Motorola's, that alone makes it very significant indeed.
    Not to mention it has the 2.1 launcher and live wallpapers which won't be in the official update.
    Once again, rooted > stock.
  10. HMJB

HMJB New Member

A pure rom coded for the Droid + tweaks from one of the best Android devs
    vs
    a compilation for the droid (in your case BB) slapped together.. dont get me wrong it is good..

Big things can be happening for this rom, thats all. I am keeping an eye on it for sure.. :)
  11. liamjbman10

liamjbman10 New Member

Exactly. This is a new way to make ROMs. It will be so much better and not based on something that isn't made forr droid. They have done this for G1 for so long.
  12. pthance

pthance New Member

Not impressed till the source code is released to the other developers for authentication. Its a video that could have been made from any custom ROM build imho. I'm not saying this isn't awesome if its true, but without some sort of proof I just feel a bit.....blah about this.
  13. Yota

Yota New Member

My question would be can you unroot it? What I mean is the N1 can be unrooted but the bootloader is still open and leaves a unlocked symbol which still leaves it voided for warranty work. If this was made with the N1 2.1 would it have the same problem if installed on the Droid?
  14. victorythagr8

victorythagr8 New Member

You fail to mention compilation of other devs work into one rom. Does this rom even support 1ghz overclock.
  15. gardobus

gardobus New Member

He just posted the update.zip

hmm
  16. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

hmmm indeed, seem really promising but I just updating my SMoked Glass ROM lol! I'll wait for more User's to comment on it to see if it's stable enough. If he got live wallpapers working with the 2.1 launcher not FC'ing all the time and a responsie app drawer then kudos to him!
  17. gardobus

gardobus New Member

lol yeah I just got my Sholes + AdamZ's smoked glass theme where I like it. I'll also wait for some feedback before I try it.
  18. liamjbman10

liamjbman10 New Member

Unfortunately Nexus wallpaper does not work but he still has some things to do with bugs. Seems like this ROM has a future and is not a bunch of other peoples work put together.

Does NOT over clock yet. What he released seems to be a very early stage ROM, but is very promising in my eyes.
  19. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Well, I took the plunge and installed this ROM. Here's my impression:

VERY GOOD!!!

I've been playing around with it for about an hour and half now and haven't had a single issue. I came from bugless beast 0.7.5 overclocked to 1 GHz. This rom does seem a little laggy but not bad at all. Maybe because I'm used to the overclocking but I don't know. It's not laggy enough to be a distraction for me though. I did a complete nandroid backup of bugless beast. Wiped data and cache and then installed the update. The update went smoothly. I then went to market and checked my downloads tab and all my downloads were there including the free ones. I've noticed while installing other roms that if I go to market and to the downloads tab that all my downloads from the previous rom would be there but if I backed out and went back only the ones I've purchased would be there. So I proceeded to install all the downloads, about 100. I know, I know. I love apps. I did have a problem with the speed of the market for the first 10-15 downloads as it would take about 20 seconds to switch from screen to screen but it all the sudden started working normal. I don't know why. Now, from there I set a live wallpaper and added beautiful widget home to the home screen. Working fine. Then opened the launcher and it worked fine. I then tested SWYPE keyboard as this was an issue on another rom I tried. So far it's working great. I've only sent a couple text messages though. I then downloaded the wireless tether app and it works. I then tried the GPS and sitting in my house it locked on in about 8-10 seconds and was accurate to where I'm at. I then opened setCPU to see if it works. I set it to auto select and it says I'm at 1000MHz. It doesn't seem any faster than before I set it but it's not as fast as I was use to on bugless beast. So I don't know if I'm getting an accurate reading. I then tested wifi and it works. I did have a boot issue. After installing all the apps from the market I rebooted and it rebooted 3 times. It would get to the unlock screen for a second and then reboot but it worked after 3 of these. I've since rebooted and had no problem. Oh, in the shut down menu and reboot phone option is there now. Also it doesn't say VERIZON anymore, it has T-CDMA 64. The Market doesn't have a VERIZON tab either. Instead there is a downloads tab. SO:

slightly laggy, but not that bad.
    wifi works
    gps works
    haven't had a force close yet
    swype works
    live wallpapers work
    cyanogen boot animation
    reboot option in shut down menu
    a cyanogen wallpaper

I think I'm going to try it out for a few days and see how it goes. I'm liking it so far. After I run a few apps I'll post some more.

EDIT: well, spoke to soon. I've had my first force close, actually I think it was a crash as it froze while I was switching between home screens and then rebooted.
  20. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

guys, this ROM is overclocked, just run:
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    to verify, that will tel you the available frequencies.

my linpak with this ROM:
    (running at 1GHz of course)
    [​IMG]