First HTC Thunderbolt Unboxing / Overview

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I believe on another site they figured out that the singe core to core comparison was faster. But since the Bionic was duel core its quadrant score was higher.

19xx to 22xx on the quad score.

Pretty pathetic increase........ 16%

Modern computers saw similar abysmal performance increases when the switch to multi core happened. Give it time, maybe 6 months, or a year, or even two.

Heck we dont even know if the OS supports multiple cores, and for that matter the apps ALSO have to support running multiple threads. It all has to blend together, and the tech (for phones) is in its infancy.

To me any improvement at all is a blessing

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

hyperlite

Reaction score
I believe on another site they figured out that the singe core to core comparison was faster. But since the Bionic was duel core its quadrant score was higher.

19xx to 22xx on the quad score.

Pretty pathetic increase........ 16%

Modern computers saw similar abysmal performance increases when the switch to multi core happened. Give it time, maybe 6 months, or a year, or even two.

Heck we dont even know if the OS supports multiple cores, and for that matter the apps ALSO have to support running multiple threads. It all has to blend together, and the tech (for phones) is in its infancy.

To me any improvement at all is a blessing

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

i came in to post this. the bionic/atrix will be faster than the TB or any other single core phone in probably every metric of performance. The software just isn't there yet. There are a couple things that will play into this adoption.

A: How easy is to code/recode apps to be SMP aware?
B: can you do so without native support from the OS?
C: When will the dual core phones get an OS that actually utilizes two cores?

Don't bash Tegra 2, OMAP 5/6 etc because of its current lackluster performance. Bash google for not baking full smp support into gingerbread. and bash the handset makers for releasing dual core phones with froyo of all things. I agree that the multicore smartphone is premature, but when 2.3.3 or whatever drops, these phones will leave these single core pieces in the dirt performance wise.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
But like most applications, how much are actually going to use 100% CPU? Think about it.... Dualcore/Quadcores have been out for computers for years, but most programs don't even utilize everything. Now, take a cellphone, very few apps are going to use all of that imo. It's not like we're encoding a video in the background while playing World of Warcraft.... I doubt these dualcore phones are going to affect things that much, other than just drain the battery 2x as fast.

craig8868

Reaction score
can't wait until tomorrow to pick mine up. have an appt set up at my local verizon retailer at 9am. :) woohoo!!