First HTC Thunderbolt Unboxing / Overview

kparks

Reaction score
I'm still flabbergasted by the claim that it's faster than the dual core Bionic. I had pretty much written this phone off as simply a marketing gimmick by HTC to claim to be 'first to LTE', but this thing is really making me stop and take notice

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Yea this video just threw the TB back in the mix for me i might pick it up on a one year if i do get it.. plenty of time between now and then tho... but i do know if i keep up the rate im going at i will never have a new phone!!!!

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still flabbergasted by the claim that it's faster than the dual core Bionic. I had pretty much written this phone off as simply a marketing gimmick by HTC to claim to be 'first to LTE', but this thing is really making me stop and take notice

Single core doesn't always necessarily mean slower. There are a lot of factors that go into it. The chip architecture being a primary. I wouldn't write it off yet. I think it's looking much better, but I'm seeing some more mysterious devices down the line for later in the year that really have my attention.

Oh, I get that. But with all the bluster by Jha over the new flagship, I figured it would be tougher to compare to. I'm still not willing to jump on TB, tho. I'm thinking more along the lines of: if this is HTC's first salvo, I would imagine there's some pretty sweet things coming down the Pike.

Forgetful

Reaction score

I believe on another site they figured out that the singe core to core comparison was faster. But since the Bionic was duel core its quadrant score was higher.

19xx to 22xx on the quad score.

nakhleh926

Reaction score

I believe on another site they figured out that the singe core to core comparison was faster. But since the Bionic was duel core its quadrant score was higher.

I don't think the operating system can handle it in all its glory though, imo unless the bootloader somehow is unlocked on the Bionic, Thunderbolt is the way to go.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would make some sense, I guess. And, for Moto's sake I almost hope that's the case...

Edit: regarding the core speeds...

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I told you all the TB was going to be the beastest phone this year. The bionic is gonna bow to the TB. I cannot wait..opening a new line just so i can get this phone.

JFMFT

Reaction score
That video of the Thunderbolt helped seal the deal for me. I was already all about this phone compared to the Bionic and its locked bootloader and CPU/GPU that won't be fully used until Android is updated to fully utilize multiple cores (we know it's happening in Honeycomb, which Google has since said is Tablet only - but for phones, I don't see the optimizations coming until the end of 2011).

If the TB really does compete with and/or beat the Tegra 2 on Quadrant and other benchmarks, I'm impressed. If it comes in a little bit or a moderate amount below, I expected that. Either way... it's good enough for me until the end of this year.

Russ2387

Reaction score
if you are going to wait "to see what's coming down the pike", why not just get the tb with a one year contract for only an extra $70. then in a year from now when they fully utulilize the dual core or maybe quad core, you can get the latest and greatest phone that you WILL BE drooling over? that is what im doing. $70 is worth it for me to upgrade in a year. 1 year ago the droid 1 was all the rage, now.... these new phones make it look moldy....

sent from my moldy old og droid.

Anomander

Reaction score
Looks fast. Curious how you can talk and surf the net over 3G with that phone? If I was able to upgrade today I think I would be very happy with that phone. Since I am not upgrading until July or so I'll see what is going on then.

shaddix2

Reaction score

Pretty pathetic increase........ 16%

ridobe

Reaction score
that is one nice device! faster than the Bionic dual core?! wow, if true, no wonder Moto wants to put the Atrix on VZW along with the Bionic. never been much of a HTC guy (but my wife has the Inc), but i may have to rethink my loyalties. crack that bootloader, and i could be very conflicted... :)

Serious question about locked bootloaders. What is the difference between a locked one and an unlocked one? I mean, I have a Dinc and it is of course unlocked. I know what the capabilities are as far as Roms, radios, kernels, etc...but what about a locked one? The DX (or any Moto) is locked but can you still not root it and add roms and such? Is it the ability to overclock, etc that is the difference? What about the iphone. You can hack that one too but what does it actually accomplish?

Always wondered what the difference was.

royolpunk

Reaction score
that is one nice device! faster than the Bionic dual core?! wow, if true, no wonder Moto wants to put the Atrix on VZW along with the Bionic. never been much of a HTC guy (but my wife has the Inc), but i may have to rethink my loyalties. crack that bootloader, and i could be very conflicted... :)

Serious question about locked bootloaders. What is the difference between a locked one and an unlocked one? I mean, I have a Dinc and it is of course unlocked. I know what the capabilities are as far as Roms, radios, kernels, etc...but what about a locked one? The DX (or any Moto) is locked but can you still not root it and add roms and such? Is it the ability to overclock, etc that is the difference? What about the iphone. You can hack that one too but what does it actually accomplish?

A locked bootloader won't allow custom kernels. A unlocked one will.

nakhleh926

Reaction score

You can root the DX even though it's locked because there is a workaround, fully unlocking it allows you to create roms that are built from nothing I believe, instead of messing with light blur and a little google. It's customization to the fullest extent, we can use roms, just not full ones that replace everything.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

wmnomore

Reaction score
Wirefly's TB review Part 1:

[video=youtube;kCdSyeo6KFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCdSyeo6KFY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCdSyeo6KFY[/video]