First Droid/Android OS User! So Happy!

Buhba

Reaction score
After months and months of waiting, i finally picked up my Droid X. I am so happy with it right now I cant even explain. dancedroid

After doing a little looking around this seemed like the best forum to come to.

So far im pretty happy with Blur and the OS. I loved how in downloaded all my friends from facebook and added them as contacts. Although im not going to talk to all 500 of them...hahah. Im going to have to go through and delete some. But it definitely saved me a lot of work! Add a couple phone numbers here and there, no biggie.

So i guess my only question is, is there a thread like 'First 10 things you should do to your droid when you first buy it' sticky? That would be awesome. I need to get some app killer task manager apps in here stat.

Only one thing i can complain about, length of this charger cord hahahahahhha.

I cant wait to open up this phone to the max and trick it out. Cant wait.
The name is Nick, hope to see you around!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well nick welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place. First off and most importantly, no task killers. Android os has its own native task manager that will handle all the apps. The task killers are a stay over from the days of donut and eclair (previous android versions)

It may appear as if apps are running in the background but they are more like ready to start running than actually running. Using a task killer to auto kill apps ends up being a waste of energy because as soon as you kill everything, android will just start stuff up again. Best practice is to use the back button and not the home button to exit an app because that will tell the os that you are done with it and the os will then deal with it in a timely manner.

As for the charger YES IT IS TOO DARN SHORT I know how you feel, 90% of the time is on an extension chord.

Then we get to the facebook contacts. Sad news is its all or nothing with having them syncd. Sucks I know, especially when you have a ton of friends.

I forget if that was everything or not. Anyway enjoy your stay and ask lots of questions. As you can see, we like to answer them ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
B

Buhba

Reaction score
Dude, that was a long reply for being on a smartphone hahha. You the man!
Thanks for the reply tho i appreciate it! I guess i just looked into the task manager and there was 30-40 tasks running and i was like wooooooooohhhhhhh not cool.

Can you give me a quick suggestion on Roots or Roms? Just the names and i'll go check them out. Kinda lost when it comes to that!

Thanks Bud!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I try to be quick and thorough with my answers but i'll admit that was a lot even for me. Anyway there is a link in my signature titled

Multiple phones, root them, unroot them

That is my favorite method for rooting either the droid 2 or x so that's a good place to start.

As for roms i'm not too familiar with all of the dx roms and rightfully so because there are a looooot of em. Plus its mostly a preference thing with roms so meander on in to the droid x roms section and do some reading.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums!! And, yes, Spaz is the man!! The X is an amazing device, you chose well!
+1 to his explanation of why task killers aren't needed. Save the space on your phone for a good game or other app..there are over 100,000 to choose from! :dancedroid:
I'll mention another application that isn't needed: anti-virus apps! You may run into a rogue app here and there but, no viruses have been reported (that I know of).

DroidForums junkie!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
^correct^

No viruses to speak of and I think furbearingmammal (another brilliant user) said earlier today that there was only one confirmed case of malware

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
^also correct^

DroidForums junkie!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
^equally correct^

Sorry had to do it. You'll come to find out there are a few of us who run amok late at night.

Trenton

Reaction score
Long press on home screen-- folders -- facebook phone numbers.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Haha!!!!

^equally correct^

Sorry had to do it. You'll come to find out there are a few of us who run amok late at night.

DroidForums junkie!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

And the malware only affected rooted handsets, was spread via text, and was a very short outbreak in Russia.

:welcome: to the forum!

Standard rules apply:

Play nice. No flames. Keep it clean. Keep it family friendly. Don’t double-post. Don't feed the Mods, SMods, or Admins. They'll follow you home if you do, so really, it's for your own protection. (And do you really want to explain to your loved ones that, no matter how cute he or she is, you really want to keep them?)

So, glad to have you on board! Have fun! :)

Oh, and watch out for Droid DOES!! and Spazz33g. They're a couple of real troublemakers. ;)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
True...we disobeyed the "No feeding" rule!! I broke it within the first day! :(

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

And the malware only affected rooted handsets, was spread via text, and was a very short outbreak in Russia.

:welcome: to the forum!

Standard rules apply:

Play nice. No flames. Keep it clean. Keep it family friendly. Don’t double-post. Don't feed the Mods, SMods, or Admins. They'll follow you home if you do, so really, it's for your own protection. (And do you really want to explain to your loved ones that, no matter how cute he or she is, you really want to keep them?)

So, glad to have you on board! Have fun! :)

Oh, and watch out for Droid DOES!! and Spazz33g. They're a couple of real troublemakers. ;)

DroidForums junkie!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Welcome! There is a way you can ignore facebook contacts, in your contacts app you can choose to only view contacts with phone numbers, its what I ended up doing.

Droidforums.net appified!

OP
B

Buhba

Reaction score
hahahahha..i got a feeling ima love it here. Great to meet all you guys!