First "clitch"

ben.keen

Reaction score
First "glitch"

So I order my DX on July 15th and was luckily enough to have it delivered to my office that Monday. Sadly, I wasn't in the office because my Grandmother past away at the age of 90 on July 15th as well so I was home to attend her funeral. Thankfully, one of my co-workers got my device and over nighted it to me so I had it on that Tuesday. So as soon as I got it, like everyone else I ripped it out of the box and started to set it up and coming from the BlackBerry world I was blown away!

Anyways, so I been using it now for a few weeks and I'm surprised that I'm for the first time seeing what I consider a "glitch" with the device. Now if you ever used a BlackBerry you grew used to battery pulls, resending service books and registering host routing tables so I was surprised that I went such a long time with out having anything wrong with the device.

My "glitch" is with the text messaging application. I text like a mad man, between friends, family and coworkers. Thank God for unlimited text plans. Well I installed a 3rd Party SMS client on the recommendation of a friend. The client is called Handcent SMS and worked fine and I'm sure it is a great application but I didn't mind the stock SMS application so I uninstalled it. Since doing that, my SMS application is running really, really, really slow. It takes a while to load the message thread and to open it. Once it is up, I can type with no issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of problem before and if so, what did you do to resolve the issue. I'm not against wiping the phone back to factory settings but if there is a corrective action I can take other than that I would be happy. Ideas?

dxuser

Reaction score
I think you mean "glitch". I had that app and uninstalled it and all was well. Did you make sure it was uninstalled and just not deleted from your screen. Not that simply deleting the app would make the native sms run slow. Maybe a better response will come along.

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
yeah sorry for the typeo i was trying to do a few things and was bouncing between screens on my computer. yeah i double checked my applications list and it doesn't appear there. it's just weird because its only the SMS app...the rest of the applications work great. i'm still pleased with the device and deciding to switch from BlackBerry to Droid...

bad4u

Reaction score
Rule of thumb, dont have super long threads, keep the messages under 100. If your over 500, just think how much it has to load into memory to run. Could easily be an extra second or 2 to load. My mom on her eris had threads upwards of 2000 :icon_eek: BAD.

Also another dumb point, you have reset the phone right?:)

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
Rule of thumb, dont have super long threads, keep the messages under 100. If your over 500, just think how much it has to load into memory to run. Could easily be an extra second or 2 to load. My mom on her eris had threads upwards of 2000 :icon_eek: BAD.

Also another dumb point, you have reset the phone right?:)

I thought about the whole thread thing and to be honest, I'm terrible at closing the conversation because I find myself going back to reference them. But I did delete all the threads I had that I knew were old and that I didn't need the information for.

As far as a reset, I pulled the battery out of the device (thats right going back to my :blackberry: days LOL). If there is a different way of reseting it, please share. I have to admit, I been support BlackBerrys for over 3 years now and I feel really dumb for not knowing how to reset this device. I did go a google search but all the hits were for factory resets and like I said, I don't mind doing that but I would like to exhaust everything else first.

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
Okay so I cleared the cache on the device by selecting it from the "safe" screen I got to by holding the home and power keys when the device was turned off. Things are running better, there is still a short delay but maybe 2 - 4 seconds, not the 10 - 30 seconds I was having before. I'm still interested in seeing if anyone else had seen this issue.

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
I'm pretty no one really cares but I wanted to share what the results of this whole thing was.

So yesterday things were okay for a little bit after clearing the cache and whatnot but then as the day went on it got worse. The last straw was this morning when it took over 1 minute just for a small thread to open and another 10 seconds before I could type. I then decided to say screw it and I did a factory reset of the device. Coming from a BlackBerry I knew this would result in having to redo a lot but I figured at this point it was a lot better than having to wait forever for SMS messages to load. Well, I was most pleased with the process. After reactivating the phone I got started reloading my accounts and applications. One nice thing was when I went to the Market I noticed that even though I didn't have any applications installed at this point, the "My Downloads" area contained a list of all the applications I loaded. I simply went down the list and reloaded those applications I been using on a daily process and ignored the ones I downloaded and ended up deleting later.

All in all, it took me maybe 30 minutes and my device is back up and running and dang close to the same settings as I was using since I got the DX on the 19th of July. Thanks everyone for the tips!!