First Ads Appear for the Moto X

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Motogoogle's not getting a damned penny from me unless they pull their collective head from butt and bring back SD storage. There was no need to delete it, except to emulate Apple (gag).

I wonder how much the SD slot disappearing is actually driven by non-removable batteries and sealing the device up. Although I've never had a problem, I can see a quality control issue wanting to seal things up (especially water and/or dust-resistant phones).

Granted, they could still have more storage. But keep in mind pretty much everyone except the big 2 loses money on the phones, so they cut corners wherever possible. And apparently the market is not really demanding storage, either that or it's simply a very marginal decision factor vs. other specs.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I wonder how much the SD slot disappearing is actually driven by non-removable batteries and sealing the device up. Although I've never had a problem, I can see a quality control issue wanting to seal things up (especially water and/or dust-resistant phones).

Granted, they could still have more storage. But keep in mind pretty much everyone except the big 2 loses money on the phones, so they cut corners wherever possible. And apparently the market is not really demanding storage, either that or it's simply a very marginal decision factor vs. other specs.

No SD Memory kills it for me. All my music, pics, and movies take up a lot of room.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No SD Memory kills it for me. All my music, pics, and movies take up a lot of room.

Completely agree, but few OEM's seem to care. Most new phones have to have the latest and greatest cpu and display, and THIN! - despite being little actual consumer benefit - and then cut corners where they can. Some of it might be out of necessity trying to make the thinnest device on the planet, which is partly why we never get big enough batteries we want (and, again, another place they cut corners on cost).

Look, there's nothing I'm going to do on my phone that needs a 2ghz quad-core processor. The eye can't differentiate 720p from 1080p on a phone, Give me my sd and a bigger battery, and I don't care if it makes the phone 2mm thicker!

It would be really interesting if some OEM bucked the trend and went with a "2nd tier" display and processor, upped the battery and put TWO sd slots in it (maybe also with 64gigs internal memory).

I wonder if Dropbox and some other online storage services aren't giving kickbacks (to the OEM and/or the carriers) for new accounts. So if your the OEM/carrier, you'll shortchange storage to drive those acquisitions, AND double-dip by saving a few bucks on storage and the SD. I've seen a tie-in with Dropbox, possibly Box, and Google did it with GDrive and the Moto where you get 25-50 gigs of free online storage for a year or two. The OEM sees that as added value to drive sales, but you can bet money Dropbox is saying "if and only if you limit internal storage options".

jmagi

Reaction score
motorola totally cocked up this release is what. they need to release those 4000mah fones, dual sim and qwerty slideout keyboard... pronto

right now this moto x is LAF.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

NOVICE

Reaction score
With exception of the Nexus7 and it's successor, with Google inexpensive generally translates as mediocre.

As I learned after paying the upgrade price of 299$ for the brand new Galaxy Nexus, even the premium Google devices too often provide a mediocre product.

I love Google but with the exception of the Nexus7, not terribly interested in their hardware.

NOVICE

Reaction score
And continuing my rant, where's a tablet with a phone number so I can use same as my business phone. How about 2 sim cards so I can have business and personal lines on the same phone. Why not the same number shared by 2 devices so I can switch between instruments depending upon my mood or needs?

Do I have to take up residency in South Korea or Japan to get a little innovation in what is a "golden age" for cell phones?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And continuing my rant, where's a tablet with a phone number so I can use same as my business phone. How about 2 sim cards so I can have business and personal lines on the same phone.

I could see the value in that if you don't have unlimited minutes. Otherwise, set-up your business number to forward your other line (or vice versa). That's what I love about google voice - I give that number to my business contacts and it rings all my phones (and I can even do it for a day if I'm in a new/temp office). And the visual voicemail is a plus, too.

And I'll tell you what I DON'T like about your idea - businesses choose more limited plans and then whack you for any personal business (i.e they buy a limited plan which just isn't enough for hardly any personal use). You want to use their phone for personal, then get your own plan/sim and conduct your personal business on that line.

Last edited:

seamus

Reaction score
I wonder how much the SD slot disappearing is actually driven by non-removable batteries and sealing the device up.
Which is more attempt to emulate Apple. Lock in your customer with a disposable device and you've got them coming back when the battery goes belly-up. Also, you don't need to have an open case to insert/remove SD cards. Other phones have externally-accessible SD slots, why not Motogoogle's? Because they want to force you to use the cloud to store your data so that they can push ads to your phone after analyzing the content. Would they do such a thing? Bet on it.
Although I've never had a problem, I can see a quality control issue wanting to seal things up (especially water and/or dust-resistant phones).

Or maybe they think we're just that stupid. S3 or S4 for my next phone. I'll never buy another Motorola product again. That's no way to treat your customers (as if they were panting Apple fanbois).

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Which is more attempt to emulate Apple. Lock in your customer with a disposable device and you've got them coming back when the battery goes belly-up. Also, you don't need to have an open case to insert/remove SD cards. Other phones have externally-accessible SD slots, why not Motogoogle's? Because they want to force you to use the cloud to store your data
i have seen this mentioned a few times^^, everyone forgets to point out all the data those unfortunate people without unlimited would be burning through
so that they can push ads to your phone after analyzing the content. Would they do such a thing? Bet on it.Or maybe they think we're just that stupid. S3 or S4 for my next phone. I'll never buy another Motorola product again. That's no way to treat your customers (as if they were panting Apple fanbois) << this is lmao 4 real.

:) :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they think we're just that stupid. S3 or S4 for my next phone.

I don't disagree with any of this, but clearly most consumers don't care about the SD card - I guess if you have a lot of music and/or video content you're in a pretty small minority. Hate to say it, but I think it's going the way of the physical keyboard.

You and I will just have to wait until we get ala carte PC-style customization.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I've said for years that I'll never buy a phone without a SD slot. Then I realized that I have never removed my SD card from either my Droid or my Inc2. I've also never come close to filling it (8.6GB remaining of the 14GB on the Inc2 after 20 months). For this reason I'm reluctantly willing to settle for a non SD Moto Ultra series phone, as long as it has at least 16GB memory (12GB usable). Same for the battery. I'm a bit less concerned about the battery since I've discovered that Moto will replace it for $50. If it makes the phone more durable then I'll accept it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ditto for me...I will never buy a phone without an external sd slot. I will only use online storage for extremely limited things/pics I want to share with others. In addition, if your phone goes belly up, there goes everything on your internal storage. I am currently trying to get into my son's rezound that will not turn on, trying to get his pics from Italy that he accidentally saved on the internal sd card. What a pita!

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I've said for years that I'll never buy a phone without a SD slot. Then I realized that I have never removed my SD card from either my Droid or my Inc2. I've also never come close to filling it (8.6GB remaining of the 14GB on the Inc2 after 20 months). For this reason I'm reluctantly willing to settle for a non SD Moto Ultra series phone, as long as it has at least 16GB memory (12GB usable). Same for the battery. I'm a bit less concerned about the battery since I've discovered that Moto will replace it for $50. If it makes the phone more durable then I'll accept it.

Not being difficult but "remove" you SD card? The only time I've ever removed the card is when I get a new phone. Plus I have 24GB of media, backups, and my documents I use for work. 12GB isn't enough.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

rconnolly4

Reaction score
The "Shake to snap a pic"... really? What a lame gimmick. Like you won't be turning that feature off after a week because it is going to flip into Camera mode accidentally a lot.

The way motorola explains it the phone's photo and proximity sensors will prevent it from activating in a pocket or hand bag. Additionally the orientation and type of motion also come into play.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ditto for me...I will never buy a phone without an external sd slot. I will only use online storage for extremely limited things/pics I want to share with others. In addition, if your phone goes belly up, there goes everything on your internal storage. I am currently trying to get into my son's rezound that will not turn on, trying to get his pics from Italy that he accidentally saved on the internal sd card. What a pita!

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

I use online storage mainly for disaster recovery - learned a very painful lesson after dropping my laptop and destroying the hard drive.

I've never put Dropbox (or similar) on my phone. I just move files back and forth from my computer with the USB or over wifi. Haven't looked into it, but I wouldn't mind being able to save a few things to the cloud WITHOUT keeping a copy locally on my phone.

Also, on the subject of storage...ONE nandroid back-up takes nearly 2.5 gigs alone. Can't really not have that locally on the phone - I've never had the emergency need but you'd be otherwise SOL if your phone crashed out and about. My titanium back-up is 1.1gigs - I flash every few weeks, and it's simply a convenience to keep that on my phone to restore apps and settings.