Firmware version 5.9.xxx?

TheDroidAbides

Reaction score
I was in a Verizon store earlier today and noticed that the Bionic on display was running very smooth, much more so than my completely stock Bionic. I checked the firmware and it was 5.9.xxx (can't remember the rest of the numbers). Has this version in the 5.9's been leaked or seen elsewhere yet? The employee on the floor (who seemed as clueless as most VZW employees) said that they usually get updates pushed to their phones before anyone else. Could this be a sign that an official OTA update will be out sooner than expected?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably is the demo firmware for the phone.

I'll go with that. Mind you, when Froyo came out the Verizon stores had a larger version that was a full install, rather than a patch. The explanation I was given was if the OTA update to Froyo didn't work and you went to the store, this is what they used.

billyk

Reaction score
I agree it's likely a demo version. I also think the Bionic update is about to drop, which hopefully will address a number of issues some users have had.

For me, I've had no issues with my Bionic. It's stock/non-rooted with a handful of apps added that I use all the time. The response on my Bionic has always been immediate and buttery smooth with the stock launcher - hard to imagine how that will be improved with the update!