FireFox OS 2.5 Is Now Available In The Form Of An App Preview! Download

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

From the creators of the slowest and crashiest browser I've ever used comes an all new Android experience! Mozilla has developed a FireFox Os custom launcher so you can experience the upcoming operating system on your device. The OS has previously been flashable on various devices, but the general public has yet to be able to test out the new OS.

The experimental app works like most launchers hiding your current Android overlay. You see the Firefox overlay instead. I'm sure there is much more to the FireFox OS than a simple launcher, but this gives you the overall look and feel of what the complete product will be. The launcher features a handful of Firefox web apps. Some features of the FireFox OS include Add ons, Private browsing with tracking protections, and pin the web.

It should be noted that this is still in testing and is not a final product. It will have bugs. FireFox's own task manager, and navigation may interfere with your current Android OS. There is no native back button. If you feel the need to give this a try now head to the link below for the download.

FireFoxOS2.5.apk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used firefox for YEARS I even had windows live mesh setup to sync between my computers, then microsoft got rid of mesh and I moved to chrome a few months later, it was slow at first, I kept firefox installed for years. I don't even use it unless I absolutely have to now.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is not what it used to be. It crashes all the time, and is soooo slooowww

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Was going back in the day. It's a huge memory hog now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think it's funny that they're touting this "Pin the Web" thing. To me, it sounds like adding a browser shortcut to the homescreen. Unless things have changed and I didn't realize it, that's easily done already in Android. I don't get how that's a selling feature.

As for Firefox browser on PC, I'm in complete agreement with you guys. Used it like crazy back in the day, but I'm all about Chrome now.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
FF is a smidgen slower to open and doesn't work as well with my Intranet but otherwise 100% rock solid for me. Not even remotely crashy. I don't even understand that comment. What do you guys do to your poor browser? :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
For me, when I made the switch, it wasn't about crashy or not. It was about clean. Firefox had the same junk cluttering it up as IE to me. Sure, you try to pay attention when installing something and make sure it doesn't have some hidden checkbox for some stupid toolbar, but you end up with it all cluttered up and ugly and miss half the page because you've got so many buttons and things up there.

I believe that's improved, but I've already committed to Chrome in the meantime. I like how clean and minimal it is and I get to see more content at once.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well, I don't quite get that comment either.

Brow.jpg

Visually I see a marginal difference, AND I actually prefer the look of FF because it has a tiny bit more room at the top making the tabs much more pronounced and easier to click.
You're an IT guy, Johnny. You of all people should have a pretty clean browser with no extra stuff in it.

However, as you can see Chrome is the one I am logged into.
I use Chrome 65%, IE 25% and FF 10%.
BUT I think FF LOOKS the best. Chrome may be cleaner, agree, but FF is "prettier" imo.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh, my IE is clean. Just still too much garbage up top. And when you go to help someone else with something and IE is all they have and they can't figure out how to not install every toolbar ever, you've gotta deal. As for FF being prettier, well, I don't really care about that. I'm a minimalist for sure when it comes to my browser. I want it to be out of the way and give me my content.

I don't see the point in a third browser. I used Chrome whenever I can and only use IE when I run into the occasional thing that requires it. Thank God that's getting less and less.

Probably not the smartest thing to do, given that pretty much everyone I support as an IT guy uses IE. They look at me like I'm nuts when I have to dig around for simple things in there and I have to explain that I don't use it personally. But, I love me some Chrome.

In an attempt to get this thread slightly back on topic, anyone trying/gonna try this new FF launcher thing?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As for FF being prettier, well, I don't really care about that.

But it's still very minimal and prettier at the same time.
The tabs are prettier. The buttons are nicer. The animation when you download something = awesome.That Download arrow is WAY more minimal then Chrome.
I like eye candy in my minimal browser. I proclaim today FF day and will use it all day.

I don't see the point in a third browser.
As a technology support professional I consider 3 browsers part of my toolbox. O that site won't work for you? Let's try a different browser.

In an attempt to get this thread slightly back on topic, anyone trying/gonna try this new FF launcher thing?

I was going to end my last post: On Topic, I won't be trying this app.
I'm guessing not many will.

keithadair42

Reaction score
Works fine on an iphone5s also installed it on my Windows 10 machine mr Kansas I like where the tabs are now located. The browser addon thing works rather well running Adblock and no script it actually passed my personal benchmark as coming in first however not to say as another person mentioned there is no need for a third browser I will also say that Mozilla is my goto browser on the on the pc I need more time with the iOS app. I also did an unbiased test on an android test I can honesty say the iOS version was smoother thanks for the great post mr Kansas it's great people like yourself that make a difference !!