Firefox 4 BETA for Android

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It tries to run, real hard, on a D1 with miui running on top of ss4.8 but it just vanishes with no error and I end up back at the desktop. 3 tries, same result. Thanks for the link though!

SEGA

Reaction score
Firefox 4 for mobile goes beta on Android and Maemo

By Chris Ziegler posted Oct 7th 2010 9:40PM

post_icon_video.gif

After a healthy alpha (and pre-alpha) period, Mozilla is taking the mobile version of Firefox 4 to beta on Android and Maemo this week, promising improvements in stability, performance, and functionality. Actually, this represents a shift in branding for Maemo, where Firefox 1.1 has already been gold for some time -- but odds are good you're going to want to upgrade in any event, since this new version nets you the so-called Layers framework that aims to improve scrolling and zooming responsiveness. As you might expect, you get built-in Firefox Sync -- basically making this a superset of Firefox Home -- and support for HTML5. Makes that ol' N900 look a little shinier, doesn't it? Follow the break for Mozilla's announcement video.

Link to Video Here

Last edited:

Stretch2m

Reaction score
Can't long-press/paste into text fields? Rather than use the native Android text fields, it seems they chose to re-invent the wheel. I understand it's a beta but choosing to redesign text fields signifies some pretty fundamental design flaws.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Section Twelve
Reaction score
It tries to run, real hard, on a D1 with miui running on top of ss4.8 but it just vanishes with no error and I end up back at the desktop. 3 tries, same result. Thanks for the link though!

Yeah, I haven't installed it.

Thanks for your input, though. :)

stabl4life82

Reaction score
i just installed and played around with it for like 15 minutes and it sucks to me it even made me shut my phone down 3 times before i uninstalled it cause it froze my phone to where i couldnt even do anything..i had to take the battery out to get it to cut off it was also very very slow loading pages and not wnough options to mess with....will reinstall when something is fone to improve this

OP
Section Twelve
Reaction score
Lots of great feedback here, guys. Thanks for that.

My hope is for this thread to get the word about the performance and issues with the beta out to the general Android public and then people can either report the issues to Mozilla, or just keep warning others to keep away until it's actually ready for prime time.