Fire Phone Off-Contract Pricing seems high!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed with the off-contract pricing for the Amazon Fire Phone.

Amazon Fire Phone 32Gb - $649.00
Amazon Fire Phone 64Gb - $749.00

ouch!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Yeah, that's a little steep.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
2400mah battery seems a bit weak for this device. Those cameras and sensors have got to eat up the battery life on this puppy.
I liken this 3D feature to live wallpaper. Sure it looks cool, but it's probably not practical to keep it turned on all the time.
As with every new device, real world reviews will tell the true story here after all the oohs & ahhs have died down. :D

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm a little disappointed with the off-contract pricing for the Amazon Fire Phone.

ouch!
They priced it high and partnered with AT&T. My guess is they don't want to sell the phone. They want you on contract.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds kind of HTC first-ish . I predict by black Friday they be giving this away with a bundle deal with the fire tablet, prime membership, and fire TV all for $199 on contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
They just killed all their potential success with these bonehead moves (pricing/AT&T Exclusivity) Should have been priced similar to the Moto X with a roll out across all carriers.

equake

Reaction score
They just killed all their potential success with these bonehead moves (pricing/AT&T Exclusivity) Should have been priced similar to the Moto X with a roll out across all carriers.

It is a Moto X with the same sort of custom s/w for image recognition and voice control.

Gimmicky at best.

My 2 cents

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
They should have sold the phone for $249. and given $100 gift card with each phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But how many people are buying phones retail?

I still think these retail prices are collusion to force people onto contracts - in exchange for guaranteed volume from the carriers, the OEM's artificially inflate retail prices to funnel people to subsidized contracts.

I'm not convinced carriers are paying $350 subsidy for these phones, and even then that puts us only into the $550 range. I forget which phone it was a few years ago, but a leaked image showed @$400 wholesale (that would be the price BB, VZW and AT&T pay) to Best Buy for a phone retailing for at least $650. And that $400 price jives a lot better with OEM margins.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow... Just.. Smdh..

Caesars

Reaction score
Facebook phone 3.0

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5

Rolling out across all carriers for a company like Amazon that has little real experience in designing, building, marketing and selling a phone is not cost effective. Verizon and Sprint have silly CDMA radios in their phones meaning they have to pass silly tests and subject themselves to Verizon's demand to brand everything. T-Mo probably didn't want to support the thing being that they are too busy with Sprint trying to buy them and pushing the uncarrier movement. AT&T has the resources to help with a phone design and network certification.

Apple was successful doing it with AT&T. Amazon isn't large, but I am sure Amazon diehards will want the phone.

But how many people are buying phones retail?

I still think these retail prices are collusion to force people onto contracts - in exchange for guaranteed volume from the carriers, the OEM's artificially inflate retail prices to funnel people to subsidized contracts.

I'm not convinced carriers are paying $350 subsidy for these phones, and even then that puts us only into the $550 range. I forget which phone it was a few years ago, but a leaked image showed @$400 wholesale (that would be the price BB, VZW and AT&T pay) to Best Buy for a phone retailing for at least $650. And that $400 price jives a lot better with OEM margins.

If the carriers are buying Samsung and Apple phones they are paying a pretty penny because customers want them. As for anyone else, they do what they can to get the carrier's attention.

NOVICE

Reaction score

ouch!

The off-contract price is not just disappointing it's insane. My Note 3 was 700$ and the Fire doesn't compare. The subsidized price is equally ridiculous.

Look for some drastic discounting.