Fingerprint scanner

mcraeh

Reaction score
Ever since I did the FDR on my phone, the fingerprint scanner is driving me nuts. Three times yesterday it said I had to enter my pin. The help bubble says that you are only supposed to have to enter your pin if it has not been entered in the last 72 hours. But yesterday I had to put it in to unlock the phone three times, and so far today I've had to put it in once. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a setting for this or something? It's getting annoying to have to put the pin in when I have gotten so used to the fingerprint unlocking the phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I only have to use my pattern once a day, when I first take it off the charger in the morning after its been idle all night. Other than that, fingerprint only works on mine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
I have already had to enter mine twice today. And even so, it says you only have to enter when 72 hours have gone by since you last did. So that would mean that you shouldn't even have to do it every day, right?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
IF the phone goes into deep sleep, like c overnight, you also have to enter it. I read that somewhere and has been my experience since owning this phone. But you should not have to enter it that many times a day. I wonder if Doze is killing a process on your phone that it should not be touching?

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, what's Doze? :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Doze is an Android feature introduced with Android 6 Marshmallow and then tweaked again for Android 7 Nougat. It helps stop background processes from running when the phone is idle for a set period of time and lets the phone kind of "sleep"; to save battery life. Here is an article that helps explain it better than me.

How Android’s “Doze” Improves Your Battery Life, and How to Tweak It

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You can see what's being optimized by Doze in Settings > Battery > 3 dot menu > Battery Optimization.

ff217739e835373ac2a4049364644feb.jpg

ChevyParts

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
IF the phone goes into deep sleep, like c overnight, you also have to enter it. I read that somewhere and has been my experience since owning this phone. But you should not have to enter it that many times a day. I wonder if Doze is killing a process on your phone that it should not be touching?

I never have to enter mine in the morning. Finger print works fine.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe it's not every morning for me? I will try to pay closer attention the next few days. My brain is not always engaged first thing in the AM without my coffee.

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
Maybe it's not every morning for me? I will try to pay closer attention the next few days. My brain is not always engaged first thing in the AM without my coffee.

I did see something about how it could be caused by nova launcher, which I use. But it's weird because I don't think I had this problem before I did the FDR. I guess I'll try switching back to the stock launcher and see what happens.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I did see something about how it could be caused by nova launcher, which I use. But it's weird because I don't think I had this problem before I did the FDR. I guess I'll try switching back to the stock launcher and see what happens.

It's worth a try.

R

RETG

Only had the phone a day, but only have to add the security pattern after a reboot. Does not require it in the AM after charging all night; however, I have a profile set up that after 10:00PM and it is charged in to AC charge , it shuts off wif, allows for phone calls, and turns on Alarm Clock Plus so that Alarm Clock plus goes into a sceensaver mode showing a digital clock. So, it never actually goes off...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I was just reading some articles this morning that the Nova launcher setting for double tap to sleep (or something like that) is known to force the "must enter PIN/Pattern"

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From the Google support page:

Unlock with your fingerprint
After you've set up your fingerprint, place your finger on your device's fingerprint sensor until your device unlocks.

Tip: On some devices, you'll need to press the Power button to wake your screen first.

Unlock with your backup method
For security, you'll need to use your backup PIN, pattern, or password:

• When your fingerprint isn't recognized after a few tries
  • After restarting (rebooting) your device
  • After switching to a different user on the device
  • After more than 48 hours have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method
I did not have to use anything other than my fingerprint this morning. I forgot about the after-reboot, and that explains why I had to use my Pattern yesterday. And it's supposed to be every 48 hours according to Google, but I have read that happens differently on different phones.

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
I was just reading some articles this morning that the Nova launcher setting for double tap to sleep (or something like that) is known to force the "must enter PIN/Pattern"

Interesting. I didn't know about that feature so I'm sure I'm not using it. How do I switch back to the stock launcher? I can't remember what it's called.