Fingerprint locking

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by funken, Jan 7, 2010.

1. funken

funken New Member

Anyone working on a fingerprint lock screen? Is is possible with the given screen?
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You mean a non-functional one right?
  3. funken

funken New Member

So not possible?
  4. Backnblack

If you asking if a real finger print reading lock screen can be made...
    I believe that would be a no.. Nothing I've read says the touch screen can image anything.
  5. funken

funken New Member

Kinda figured that.

However this looks interesting www.biowallet.net. Apparently they are working on an iris scanner and signature recognition.
  6. spm

spm New Member

how about hold the camera up to you eye for a iris scan, like a bar code scan?
  7. Rudy

Rudy New Member

Every time you unlock the phone? Why not a rectal thermometer?
  8. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

Well for the fingerprint scan, no, because fingerprints are made by oil on your finger, and don't have near the amount of heat needed to be recognized by a touch screen.

Eye scan: I think a camera and the equipment used for that are very different. It would be great if we could have one of these, but that means that our phones would be costing in the thousands.
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

pure silly-ness.... but I like it :icon_ banana:
  10. Gunghoray

Gunghoray New Member

They'd call that an "AssMera", not a Camera.

How in the world would I grade it !?
  11. Backnblack

Care to be a beta tester? :icon_ devil:
  12. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

omfg backnblack lmfao!
  13. DJTURNz

DJTURNz Member

Does anyone know the difference between a rectal thermometer and an oral thermometer?

The taste.
  14. zudien

zudien New Member

Ok not meaning to be a jerk. But I can't let this slide.

Finger print readers use an optical sensor to define the ridges and valleys of your fingertip. Even using the ole' ink and paper you are taking a relief map. The only thing a fingerprint and oil have to do with each other is stuff that is left after you touch something. If fingerprint scanners worked on oil residue they would effectively useless. Because is person a put his finger on the fingerprint scanner and then doesn't clean it off all person b can be verified the same way because of the residue left.

Ok and heres the one that really grinds my gears.

The droids screen is NOT heat sensative. I hear that so many times. Heck even the verizon salesman told me it was heat sensative.

I repeat the droid's screen is NOT heat sensative.

It is a capacitive screen (projected capacitive). This is means the screen recieves input from electrostatic changes (i.e. your fingers, nose, toes, special styluses). There are styluses (Pogo Sketch) that will work on the droids (and other non resistive screens).

And to the OP.

The sensing resolution on the droid isn't fine enough to pick up a fingerprint. And even if it was it wouldn't work anyways because it doesn't pick up physical input.
  15. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

I was all with you and completely in agreement until the very last sentence. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't pick up physical input". By definition, touching the screen is physical input.

My post (before I read yours) was going to say that it would probably be possible for the screen to read a fingerprint if the resolution on the capacitive detection was much, much higher.

An analog that may be possible with the current hardware would be to create a multi-touch lock app that requires the user to touch with multiple fingers simultaneously in the same pattern each time. Ideally, you wouldn't have to touch in the same PLACE each time, just maintain the pattern (relative spacing of your fingers) regardless of the orientation. (if that makes sense to anyone).

This would be a pretty secure locking method, however it might be a bit tedious to use.

edit: oh, and I think the poster who referenced fingerprint oils was referring to CSI type stuff where they're pulling prints from coke cans...doesn't really apply here though.
  16. zudien

zudien New Member

By physical input I mean that the screen does not change shape based on what you touch. A resistive screen for instance has a film over that when you press on it, it deforms registering where the top film made contact with the bottom film. I think with a VERY sensative (more than likely impractical) resistive screen it could be possible (and a coding nightmare since resistive multi touch is more of a hack than a feature).

The point I was making is that with a capacitive touch screen not only would you have to turn the sensing resolution all the way (these things go to 11!) you would also need to turn the capcitive sensativity way down to a point where only a firm pressure would sense to keep it from continuing to detect the valley's because they give off the same electrostatic change. To test this I placed a piece of paper between my droid and my finger and it still continued to pick up my finger even though I wasn't making direct contact (press firmly).

Anyways, I think the current locking is awesome. A simple pattern. The way I remember the pattern is I assign a number to each and use the use the pattern grid as a keypad. Locking a consumer mobile device is simply a deterrent and than a security measure. I would prefer something intuitive and simple and not going to hog resources just to get to the phone.
  17. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

I had a feeling that is what you were referring to when you said physical input. Got it.
  18. 640k

640k New Member

zudien, you're dead on, but in reference to your ridges and valleys vs. electrostatic scanning (capacitive screens), I don't see how the capactiance, at any resolution, would be fine enough to detect the slightest variations found in fingerprints.

talk about a coding nightmare, if the resolution was able to be kicked up so fine that it did detect the variations, you would have to code each button and hotspot on the screen to be an area. multitouch would take on a whole new meaning. and with the variance of the "uniqueness" of fingerprints, you would fight a constant uphill battle trying to accomodate for each variance!!!

MY HEAD SWOONS WITH THE POSSIBILITIES!!!!

at any rate, fingerprint readers on every device is a specialized imaging sensor, just like the ones found in a normal flatbed scanner. and to make things worse, fingerprint reading is not even that secure of a method. students have fooled readers with jell-o molds of their own hands.

if you want your phone to be secure, find an app that will remotely wipe and lock the device should it ever be lost.
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

:icon_ nono: Gonna pass on this one
  20. Backnblack

You brought it up...:icon_ banana:
Search tags for this page

android fingerprint lock

finger print lock for android
fingerprint lock

is there a real fingerprint scanner for android

is there any real fingerprint lock for android