Fingernails??

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Didn't you at least try to use the demo unit BEFORE you bought the phone???

You make it sound like the phone was somehow discriminating against women and guitar players???

I know two women with Fascinates that love their phones (cause they're using them ALL THE TIME).

Your comment about litigation is absolutely ridiculous. You can't sue a company because you can't use their product. I can't drive a stick shift, therefore I don't buy cars with a manual transmission. I don't sue the car company afterwards because I bought something I couldn't use properly.

I'm sorry you couldn't figure out how to use a touchscreen keyboard, give the Droid 2 or the Droid Pro a shot (in the store, without buying one) and see if that works better for you.

-Mike

Beka27

Reaction score
Manufacturers are moving to touchscreen. If you are unable to use a touchscreen, you'll find that your choice in devices will be getting more and more narrow. Unless there is suddenly some big shift again, which could happen, who knows?

nismos14

Reaction score
Alexzam, my wife and I were excited for the HTC Incredible and the BOGO deal, so we were off to check them out yesterday at the store. I loved it, she wasn't as happy.

The reason, her fingernails were not recognized on the keypad when she tried to type a txt message or in the browser. That's pretty sad considering older touch screens easily accomodated this. I told her lets see if she can type on my ipod touch, and if she can than she can wait for an iPhone or something with a better touch response to her fingernails and I might just get the incredible.

I would imagine there are a ton of users who face this issue.

Do you have a link to the facebook message you posted?

Hoping this gets addressed sometime soon. :(

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This type of touch screen will work with a finger nail press...

Resistive
Main article: Resistive touchscreen
A resistive touchscreen panel is composed of several layers, the most important of which are two thin, electrically conductive layers separated by a narrow gap. When an object, such as a finger, presses down on a point on the panel's outer surface the two metallic layers become connected at that point: the panel then behaves as a pair of voltage dividers with connected outputs. This causes a change in the electrical current, which is registered as a touch event and sent to the controller for processing.

this type of touch screen will not work with a finger nail press ...

Capacitive
Capacitive touchscreen of a mobile phone
Main article: Capacitive sensing
A capacitive touchscreen panel is one which consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[7][8] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the screen's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location is then sent to the controller for processing.

The rest of the information can be read here Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gives you a basic idea of how these screens work, and why some experience issues and others don't. Always learn about your product before claiming something doesn't work :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Whats to address? It's how the Capacitive screen works, It is by design.
The touchscreen is not broken or defective, It mush have skin contact or a specially design stylus to work.

Beka27

Reaction score
Interesting. So do all phones have the capacitive screens? Or does this vary from manufacturers?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. So do all phones have the capacitive screens? Or does this vary from manufacturers?

They vary... and as the link I provided highlights... there are different technologies in capacitive touch screens as well.

The type of screen is usually included in the specs of the phone. :)

nismos14

Reaction score

The touchscreen is not broken or defective, It mush have skin contact or a specially design stylus to work.

True but that then makes those capacitive screens unusable to a lot of people.

Which Droid phones have resistive screens? Anyone know?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

True but that then makes those capacitive screens unusable to a lot of people.

Which Droid phones have resistive screens? Anyone know?

I guess people could type with their thumb flat instead of at an angle (where the nail interferes)

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I usually type at a 45 degree angle with my thumb, my nails would have to extend half an inch past my finger tip to touch the screen.

I have yet to see a droid phone with resistive touch.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
BB Storm had resistive screen. Worst. Experience. On. A. Phone. EVER!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Beka27

Reaction score
I wonder if that was what the LG Dare phone has (resistive). It was a pain in the rear to use.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Android os doesn't have support for a resistive screen. Overall, they are terrible. Specifically they are awful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk