Fine Scratches on screen

TatDroid

Reaction score
If the screen was bare glass a polish might work. But most Gorilla Glass screens have an anti-glare coating. It's actually this coating that gets the hairline scratches - NOT the Gorilla Glass itself, which is VERY tough. I'm not sure what effect polishing would have on the coating - but I can't imagine it would be good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

inyrules

Reaction score
If the screen was bare glass a polish might work. But most Gorilla Glass screens have an anti-glare coating. It's actually this coating that gets the hairline scratches - NOT the Gorilla Glass itself, which is VERY tough. I'm not sure what effect polishing would have on the coating - but I can't imagine it would be good.

I'm sure the scratch I have on mine is actually on the coating too, that's why I wanted to see how the OP actually went about applying the polish to get rid of his scratches. When I pass my finger over it I can't feel anything. I want to make sure I don't make things worse with the polish.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
This is very interesting, I'll keep this in mind next time I am without a screen protector.

A lot of people are saying they want to do this before applying a protector to get rid of fine scratches. I don't think it necessary, as most screen protectors will cover up fine scratches, and you will not see them. That is the case for me, at least.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

inyrules

Reaction score
This is very interesting, I'll keep this in mind next time I am without a screen protector.

A lot of people are saying they want to do this before applying a protector to get rid of fine scratches. I don't think it necessary, as most screen protectors will cover up fine scratches, and you will not see them. That is the case for me, at least.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I wanna make sure it's gone and the screen is in great condition before I put the screen protector on so I don't have to worry about it later. I ordered the polish, it should be here in 2 days.

Chukee

Reaction score
The old lick and wipe using shirt to wipe your screen always put the fine scratches on screens. Dont lie. Everybody does it. Lol. Thats why i always put a protector on mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score

The Galaxy Nexus does not have Gorilla Glass. Just, FYI.

inyrules

Reaction score
The old lick and wipe using shirt to wipe your screen always put the fine scratches on screens. Dont lie. Everybody does it. Lol. Thats why i always put a protector on mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I've never had a problem with cleaning my phone screens on my shirt, but one time my girlfriend tried wiping my old EVO with a coarse napkin at the Cheesecake Factory, and that was almost the end of her :p

My polish should be arriving tonight, so I'll post my experience here.

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
I'm not sure of it's even still made, but "simichrome" aluminum polish will definitely take scratches out of watch crystals, as will white jeweler's rouge on a soft buffing wheel. No idea about the coatings.

TatDroid

Reaction score
The Galaxy Nexus does not have Gorilla Glass. Just, FYI.

Oops, sorry! I keep forgetting to think about those types of things whenever I venture outside of the Bionic forum and post comments...

inyrules

Reaction score
Didn't work for me :(

So, tried the fix just now, and it didn't work. If anything, I see really tiny new scratches on the screen. Oh well. Slapped a screen protector for the time being until the my replacement Otterbox gets in. On the bright side, can't see them through the screen protector. Still think it's a scratch on the coating and not the actual screen since I can't feel them. Don't know what I did wrong with this method. I dabbed some of the polish on the micro fiber case and rubbed it on the area. I tried it a couple of times and it didn't get any better.