Find my phone etc etc

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Huh. What the hell is there an app for then?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Maybe it's pre-installed on a Nexus? This is how it has worked for me on Motorola phones, and my Samsung tablet. I can log into the ADM website using my Google account, and can see my phone on a map, as long as the Location settings are On. But I cannot lock it, make it ring, or erase it unless the ADM app is installed, opened up once and given Device Manager permission. Once the ADM app has Device Admin permissions, I can perform the remote lock & erase functions. Maybe that's not how it works on all phones, but it's how it has worked for me. And...when I logged into my account recently just to see what happened when I selected my tablet and selected Find from the website, my tablet notified me that someone was using the ADM website to find it. The app also helps to let you know if someone other than you is trying to access your device remotely using the ADM website.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Maybe it's pre-installed on a Nexus? This is how it has worked for me on Motorola phones, and my Samsung tablet. I can log into the ADM website using my Google account, and can see my phone on a map, as long as the Location settings are On. But I cannot lock it, make it ring, or erase it unless the ADM app is installed, opened up once and given Device Manager permission. Once the ADM app has Device Admin permissions, I can perform the remote lock & erase functions. Maybe that's not how it works on all phones, but it's how it has worked for me. And...when I logged into my account recently just to see what happened when I selected my tablet and selected Find from the website, my tablet notified me that someone was using the ADM website to find it. The app also helps to let you know if someone other than you is trying to access your device remotely using the ADM website.
Nope. Not preinstalled.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No, I'm almost certain that I installed it on purpose. The first time I did was long before you could just google to find your phone though, so maybe it actually served a purpose prior to that.

I'd like to know if you can actually wipe the phone from your PC browser without the app installed though, because I seem to remember having to give ADM admin privileges on my devices to enable the remote wipe ability in the past.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
No, I'm almost certain that I installed it on purpose. The first time I did was long before you could just google to find your phone though, so maybe it actually served a purpose prior to that.

I'd like to know if you can actually wipe the phone from your PC browser without the app installed though, because I seem to remember having to give ADM admin privileges on my devices to enable the remote wipe ability in the past.
I didn't have the Lock and Erase options on the website for my tablet until I installed ADM on my tablet and allowed Device Admin privileges.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have the option and I don't have it installed.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the option and I don't have it installed.
Only thing I have on my phone is what came with it and how it was set from the box. This is what showed when I looked up my phone browser.
ca6a24aa9b318b5a7e7132711917d484.jpg

Evidently ADM is enabled from the box and is bloatware on my phone? I had to look in a bunch of places before finding it under security in the phone settings.
57284d448ad7f7c0a9ee0e21ca9973ed.jpg

I don't know what UMC is but it has the ability to wipe my phone remotely so I disabled it after taking the screen shot.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Only thing I have on my phone is what came with it and how it was set from the box. This is what showed when I looked up my phone browser.
ca6a24aa9b318b5a7e7132711917d484.jpg

Evidently ADM is enabled from the box and is bloatware on my phone? I had to look in a bunch of places before finding it under security in the phone settings.
57284d448ad7f7c0a9ee0e21ca9973ed.jpg

I don't know what UMC is but it has the ability to wipe my phone remotely so I disabled it after taking the screen shot.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
So it appears Nexus already has ADM built in. I looked at my device admins after your post. I found this.

d4a817b0ac56588efa4a795c9414f2c7.jpg

Umc is Samsung Knox
To enroll and manage a device | Samsung KNOX

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I got Cerberus and love it. Cerberus anti theft - Android Apps on Google Play.

If you ever lose your phone, you go to their website on your computer. It will locate the phone AND you can send commands to it to take a picture (with the front or back camera), shut down the phone and do many other things remotely. It works great.