Finally! This Iphone thing is over!!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by abe7333, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

All I want is for more products to support devices other than the iphone/ipod. There are so many peripheral products out there that integrate with the iphone/ipod so seamlessly. That's where I can agree with the OP in that the days of every speaker dock and car stereo being built with only apple products in mind are definitely numbered.

This is not a bash on apple either because I happen to love my ipod and have about four between my wife and daughter. I also love my droid and wish I didn't have to search so hard to find peripheral products that support my devices features.
  2. Section Twelve

Section Twelve New Member

Thank you.

This is what I was hinting at earlier in the thread.
  3. Section Twelve

Quality post here.
  4. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

I still think that version likes the droid motto. Plus iphone might have sold a lot but still the design was a failure. Its ios that's selling the most, that is ipod touch.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X
  5. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

I agree completely

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X
  6. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

Lol but a company can stay in dominance for a while. It does not matter who is dieing or living. Its better for the customers.

Send from Droid X
  7. GThree

GThree New Member

IMO, the reason why the iPhone sells so much is because it's a simple OS, and because it owned life when it came out. Now over time, it just seems not so innovated. Cool, you have a front camera. I could care less. lol Most of the TECH guys that are around are switching to the Android OS. It obviously offers the freedom we tech guys love. Verizon had nothing a little while ago, and now Verizon has a legit smart phone that competes with iPhone. If Verizon didn't start getting the Droid phones, and kept Blackberry, we'd be screwed. I belive over time Android will take over the more tech side and if iPhone doesn't become more a freedom phone, it will only be a family type phone. It'll still be badass for the most part, but Droid > iPhone.
  8. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

Nice. To the point. I think eventually both os are going to be at the same level and its going to be matter of content. Better phones and content like games and stuff. I heard that ios is threatened by android openness and is going to get more open...

Send from Droid X
  9. JohnnyD359

JohnnyD359 New Member

You couldnt give me a phone that I cannot carry a charged spare battery for...I know many who feel the same way....whoever designed the Iphone had there head up there rectum thinking an internal battery is acceptable...especially with a smart phone that could drain the battery in as little as 3-5 hrs of heavy use...
  10. johall07

johall07 New Member

they are also starting to come out with cheaper android phones that still do pretty much everything the iphone can do for less $$....not so good for apple
  11. Lloyd76Mongol

Lloyd76Mongol New Member

12. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

that is of all time. iPhone has only been out for a few years. The top spots are taken up by nokia phones that at the time were really some of the only phones on the market. Not really a good judge.
  13. Section Twelve

You are spinning that wrong.

Nokia 5230 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Released in 2009, 296 million units have been sold.

So, the Nokia 5230 has been out for LESS time than all of the iPhones combined and more units have been sold.
  14. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit New Member

The proverbial "nail on the head". While most of the discussion has been about Android vs. iOS the hardware definitely comes into play. While Apple has released 4 versions of the iPhone, how many different Android powered phones are there (just between HTC and Moto to limit it)? Some of them are great and some of them suck.

I could care less about the OS in a smart phone as long as the phone does what I need to do with minimal hassle. Both phones (DX and iPhone) have issues (I would REALLY like to NOT have to spend $40 to sync my Outlook via USB!).

That said I would never buy an i"device" for a couple of reasons,

1) No user replacable battery. C'mon this is a no brainer especially in a smart phone.

2) No user expandable memory, while there are 4 versions of the iPhone most of the i"device" releases actually have several versions (based upon connectivity and memory options). So I can buy an iPad with 3g or without in several memory configurations (then spend more money and tote a dongle for USB connectivity) or I can buy a device for less money with built in USB and can put in a larger SD card or swap cards at will, IMHO this is where Apple fails.

With my DX none of the above is an issue. I could care less which OS it runs, if the phone is difficult to use or doesn't meet my needs it won't be in my pocket.

If iPhone comes to VZ there will be a huge spike in sales no doubt but I don't think it will sustain. However Android is suffering from fragmentation and allowing the carriers to control the OS too much. Microsoft may suprise us all in the end and don't count RIM out of the picture as of yet :)

In the end the hardware and OS integration will define market share.
  15. GeneralZod

GeneralZod Member

Is buying a 32GB iPhone any different than buying a Droid X whose memory expansion is limited? Or am I incorrect, and can you expand a DX as high as the size of RAM permits?

True. And to be fair, it's hard to see where Apple, who has complete control of both, won't have an advantage.

The other thing Apple exerts more control over, is the user experience. If someone buys an iPhone 5 and it sucks, it's all on Apple. If someone buys an Android device and it sucks, it's not all on Google. That said, Google will always enjoy the advantage that an open system platform brings. Regardless, as a consumer, I want the option of buying either.
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea no replaceable battery. I found out how valuable a replacable battery is recently. We had no power for 1 day and 1/2. Used up the battery keeping the kids entertained and as a flashlight.

Next morning, still no power. What do I do? Grab my spare battery and called it a day....
  17. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

Yup you are right. I was on my internship for 72 hour shift. Had three batteries. What an I supposed to tell my patients, sorry I don't have your report because my phone died? Lol

Send from Droid X
  18. AtreyuRock

AtreyuRock New Member

I dont see myself switching. I enjoy flash 10.1 and watching and experiencing websites that I wont be able to on the iphone. There's so many sites that aren't accessible with the iphone, I don't understand if you use the phone for internet use alot like I do, how you can ever enjoy it on the iphone? I'll never get how one would want such a device that is so limited in what you can view on it.
  19. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The Droid X for instance has 8 Gig internal storage and 16 Gig SD Card as well totaling 24 Gig. The 16 Gig card can be replaced with a 32 Gig SD Card giving a total of 40 Gig. Same can be said of all Android devices.
  20. abe7333

abe7333 New Member

I agree apple is very controlling. Apple its like toyota. No matter what happens people still buy them. Hopefully that 64gb card in the production will be used in phones soon. But honestly work all these streaming services, do we really need that much space?

Send from Droid X