1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Finally Rooted

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Thach, May 14, 2010.

1. Thach

Thach New Member

Well I am suprised to say that I finally rooted my Droid. I only say finally because I have had everything downloaded and ready for about a week now. I only installed the 2.1 stock for now because well, thats what the instructions said to do lol. I guess I am taking a crawl before I walk approach to this whole thing. I only posted yesterday that I was looking for more information and a better understanding before I did it too. But after reading the forums day after day I cracked and just had to do it. So here is what I guess I would like to know now. As I stated I flashed the 2.1 stock rom becuase I was not sure what else to do and I am at work so thats all I had installed on my laptop. So now I was just wondering where should I go from here? What are the most helpful programs that I should install?
  2. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Id recommend now downloading RomManager and start flashing you some roms!

Then if you start feeling comfortable, you can start using SETCPU which changes your clocking speed (processor speed) *make SURE* you are reading about the overclock speeds here cause this CAN potentially fry your little buddy
  3. Thach

Thach New Member

I saw that when I installed RomManger, it said that I would need Clockwork Mod Recovery installed to flash roms. Would this be the ClockworkMod launcher thats in the market?
  4. christim

christim Super Moderator

There are 3 boot recovery apps I'm aware of. Clockwork, SPRecovery, and the stock one that comes with the phone. The 2 non-stock ones let you back up your entire phone to do a recovery in case something doesn't go as planned (stuck phone or all your icons are yellow and you really liked them pink before) but they aren't compatible with each others backups. Rom Manager lets you install either one, then switch back to the other by reinstalling the other one.
  5. Thach

Thach New Member

Thanks for the information. I figured out that at the bottom of RomManager there is a option to flash the latest clockwork recovery. Once I did that, everything became available and I am able to install a mod now.
  6. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 New Member

I would flash Clockwork from ROM manager especially if your not extremely comfortable with changing ROM's via booting into recovery mode yourself. It's definately worth the few bucks
  7. Thach

Thach New Member

Wow I am really enjoying the looks of this CyanogenMod. I think the hardest part as of right now is remembering what icons and apps I had where. But its well worth trying to figure that out now seeing what the screen looks like. Is there any themes or anything of that nature that I can download for this and if so where would be the best place to check them out?
  8. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Go back into ROM manager and click on download ROM. If you scroll down and look in the dev sections you will see a bunch of different themes that go with Cyanogen.
  9. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

You mentioned remembering "what icons and apps" go to the Market and download DroCap2 It will allow you to make screen shots so you will know what you had and where it was located.

mike
  10. zenman77

zenman77 New Member

I would just like to say.................. Welcome to the dark side of the force........... lol
  11. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 New Member

Yeah I would definately buy ROM manager premium if you already haven't and then you can download and apply any ROM thats in there. OR you can dl the zip file and install it via ROM manager or boot recovery.
  12. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Also remember to research your kernels. Each kernel works (or doesn't work) with every ROM. If you are wanting to OC you may have to install a different kernel than the stock one once you have installed a ROM.
  13. Thach

Thach New Member

Thanks to everyone for their help so far. Its really been great to know I have somewhere I can go for information when I need it. If I download a Rom with RomManager, then install a new one and realize I don't like the new one. Do I have to reinstall the old one again or can I just intstall the backup that was made when I got the new one. lol After reading that I hope you can understand what I am saying.
  14. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

You can just restore the backup that you made before you installed the new rom
  15. Thach

Thach New Member

Where would be the best place to read about kernels and find out which one I need/will work best with the Rom I have installed? I haven't really thought too much about OC just yet. I am really just starting to get a feel for what this phone is able to do now that its rooted.
  16. dlwhtrose

If you are going back to one you had before boot into recovery > nandroid > restore > choose your backup.

If you are choosing a new ROM do it through ROM Manager just remember to backup and wipe cache. I have found it a good idea to always start with a fresh slate so to speak when flashing a new ROM.
  17. dlwhtrose

The best place is to go to each ROM maker's folder on the forum.

i.e. Droid Hacking > scroll down to the various makers Koush = Cyanogen; Team Chaos = Redrum; etc.

Read the various threads there that discuss kernels. I do know that for me Cyanogen worked best with Bekit's kernels. I currently have a P3 kernel running with my RedRum.

Hope this helps.
  18. Thach

Thach New Member

Thanks, that helps a ton. I currently have installed the CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2 so I will look around and see what people say runs best with that. Again I want to say thank you to everyone that has helped me out here. Its made the transition from boring to amazing really smooth.dancedroid
  19. Thach

Thach New Member

Ok this is probably the dumbest question I have asked so far. But I downloaded a theme from the RomManager. After its downloaded, how do I apply it? Common sense is telling me that I would go through RM like I was installing a Rom since thats where I downloaded it at, but from that point I am not sure anymore lol.
  20. hoagie52

hoagie52 New Member

After you download the theme it should pop up a box telling you to flash.