Finally rooted!

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
I seem to be having one last problem.

I rooted with Z4Root and I downloaded the Liberty .zip file direct from the website.

now I''m on the step where I need to Flash the new Liberty Rom using ROM Manager. problem is, when I downloaded the Liberty Rom from the browser, it automatically put it in my generic "downloads" file. it says that I need to open ROM Manager and "Install ROM from the SD Card" but I don't see any folders that are specific to the SD Card.

I guess what I'm basically asking is how do I now transfer the Liberty .zip file from the downloads folder to an SD Card folder so that I can then flash it?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can install from the download directory. I wouldn't use ROM manager to do it....dl droid bootstrap and use that. JMO

OP
Z

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
you can install from the download directory. I wouldn't use ROM manager to do it....dl droid bootstrap and use that. JMO

okay I'll look into that. thanks. but one more thing of concern.....all this time I've been using ROM Manager. will it matter if I suddenly change the app I'm using for this final stage?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong here but I thought there were issues with ROM on D2 and DX's. Again, I could be wrong but I haven't used it much after reading a thread about that somewhere.

OP
Z

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
I dunno. it worked fine up until this point. now I don't know which directory to put the Liberty ROM file so that I can flash it. it says it has to be the SD Card file but I don't see any such directory, not outright, anyway.

tried bootstrap but the link to the free download is dead and I've never had any success downloaded from google checkout via the android market.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
you aren't looking for an "sd" folder...you are looking for download directory....what do you see when you first open it?

OP
Z

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
you aren't looking for an "sd" folder...you are looking for download directory....what do you see when you first open it?

okay so apparently I just had to extract the Liberty ROM .zip file out of the sdcard/download folder and put it in the regular /sdcard folder. still doesn't seem to be working though.

after I click on Reboot and Install the phone reboots but nothing is changed.

here is the website I have been following;

[Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
For the DX, D2, D2G, Pro, you need Bootstrap to flash Clockworkmod Recovery. To my knowledge, ROM Manager can't do that on those models. Bootstrap also makes ROM Mangler irrelevant. Its worth what Koush is asking for it! If its that bad, try emailing him to see if he'll send it to you. He put A LOT of time and effort into that app so, I'd say a $2 donation isn't really out of the question :)

okay so apparently I just had to extract the Liberty ROM .zip file out of the sdcard/download folder and put it in the regular /sdcard folder. still doesn't seem to be working though.

after I click on Reboot and Install the phone reboots but nothing is changed.

here is the website I have been following;

[Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
Z

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
okay now my phone reboots to the Liberty screen with the flashing eagle icon but it doesn't go anywhere beyond that. how do I get it to load?

droidxethan

Reaction score
Im guessing u got it to work right? Even tho u seemed to be doing it in a complicated way

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Z

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
haha yeah, I followed everyones advice and went with bootstrap instead. had some scary moments, was afraid that I might have "bricked" my Droid when I couldn't get it to move past the animated "Liberty" screen, but I finally got it working and now it's like I have a whole new phone. now I just need to remember which apps I had and plug in all my old passwords. ugh!

droidxethan

Reaction score
Alright good deal have fun man being rooted is an aweosme thing

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App