Finally Rooted. What rom is the best?

mwolfe38

Reaction score
Be sure to post how you like it compared to stock.
So far i've only had stock/rooted stock/cm7/BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4

Of these I like bamf the best.. I really wanted to like cm7 but the battery life was a good 20-30% less than with bamf.. Same radio (from 7/8 -- not the one that came out 7/18).. Also the launcher sometimes crashed and I would lose the call/app menu/internet buttons at the bottom making my phone useless until I restarted the launcher..

So far with BAMF sense 3.0 I am getting better battery life than stock and the UI for sense 3.0 is greatly impoved (as well as many of the programs contained within sense).

The only downside is that I have had is some connectivity issues.. I had to use advanced wifi lock so that my phones data connection could still receive push messages while idle. Also I ocassionally lose internet without realizing it even when not connected to wifi.. Its rare though and nothing worse than what I had before rooting.

Overall I'd say my experience has been much better since I've rooted and installed custom roms on my phone. I can't stand the verizon bloat

phreek

Reaction score
Well I think Im going to try Liquid Thunderbread. See how I like that.

Out of all the roms I've tried, this is my favorite. Make sure you go to the thunderbolt sister site and grab the downgrade kernel, it will fix a little bug with the rom.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I think Im going to try Liquid Thunderbread. See how I like that.

Out of all the roms I've tried, this is my favorite. Make sure you go to the thunderbolt sister site and grab the downgrade kernel, it will fix a little bug with the rom.

What bug is that?... So far LiqGS is running bug free for me..so was curious what you are referring to...

phreek

Reaction score
There is or was a bug with the phone having issues with unlocking. Liquid may have just started using the older kernel now or something.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I tried it. I ended up putting it back to stock root. I ended up liking the stock version better. There was nothing wrong with it and I dont know much about roms and stuff. I dont know if you can change that stuff or not. I had to put it back to stock before I messed around to much because I couldnt get the radio to install. The only way I could get back to stock was using wifi and downloading rom manager again. Maybe one day I will try it again. It was just the little things I didnt like. I like the stock start up with the thunder. But its just me I guess lol

Fuglly

Reaction score
There is or was a bug with the phone having issues with unlocking. Liquid may have just started using the older kernel now or something.

ye. i had this problem. I just ended up not doing a data restore after upgrading to the latest and its all been good since then.

phreek

Reaction score
Well I tried it. I ended up putting it back to stock root. I ended up liking the stock version better. There was nothing wrong with it and I dont know much about roms and stuff. I dont know if you can change that stuff or not. I had to put it back to stock before I messed around to much because I couldnt get the radio to install. The only way I could get back to stock was using wifi and downloading rom manager again. Maybe one day I will try it again. It was just the little things I didnt like. I like the stock start up with the thunder. But its just me I guess lol

What did you not like? There is a slew of options in the toolkit where you can switch out apps like the stock camera and stuff. If you like sense there are a ton of sense gingerbread roms you can try. Just remember with sense you will take a hit on battery life and performance.

OP
B
Reaction score
It was the little things I didnt like. I liked the stock start up. I didnt like how you unlocked the screen. The way the buttons were on the bottom of the screen. I didnt get a chance to mess around to much with it because everytime I tried to install the radio it said installation aborted. I have no idea why it did that. I was freaking out and I was trying everything to get it back to stock root.

I had to connect to wifi to get into marketplace and install rom manager. I guess I didnt like the way it was laid out. Usually I dont care about stuff like that but Im so use to the stock version and it took me awhile to get use to that.

Is there away to change the start up (back to the thunder) and change the way its laid out. I have never messed with roms before so its all new to me. I guess if I would have gotten my radio installed I would have messed with it a little bit more.

How come it told me installation aborted when I tried to install the radio. I also tried to install the radio for the stock rooted update and it said the samething.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Did you install the radio through bootloader or through recovery?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B
Reaction score
I cant get into the bootloader. I powered off the phone. and held the power and volume down. No matter how long I hold it the phone does nothing and as soon as I release it the phone starts up normally. So I tried the recovery and thats where it comes up with installation aborted.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
It has to be installed in bootloader. It can not be installed through recovery.

Did you try holding down the volume down first then the power button and just keep it held?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I got it to work. I messed around with it and I like it but its still not me. Im going to try some roms with the Sense 3.0 in them. I just found out that the keyboard in Liquid Thunderbread was to small. I got big fingers lol. The more I messed with it the more I got use to the stuff I didnt like before. I had a hard time trying to find the digital clock that goes on the main screen. Only a little analog clock that I didnt like.

Also I dont know if its a glitch on my phone but whenever you hit the power button to put in sleep mode it looked like a t.v. when you shut it off. The screen blacked out and there would be a line that would go across the center like it flashed. Is that normal? I also had a heck of a time trying to get the phone to wake up.

I ened up taking the rom off the phone again and Im downloading a few new ones. I also downloaded the rooted stock update so I will give that a try too just incase I dont like the other 2 im downloading.