Finally root the droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by THier, Jul 17, 2010.

1. THier

THier Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the 13th came and went, found some great vids on rooting the Driod,, so I did it. I put the sapphire ROM on it,, works well. Now,, How do all the ROMS compare? What does everyone suggest? ALSO is there someway to keep the apps I have if I reflash the phone? I don't feel like going back and redownloading all the apps.

Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. 713King

713King Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you can use Titanium Backup to backup your apps and other things or use My Backup Pro to back up your messeges, apps, and various things. Make sure to do a nandroid backup if you are using sprecovery or if you are using Rom Manager with clockworkmod; within the application of Rom manager click on backup current rom.

3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    hi Tom,
    Congrats on your successful root!

I use titanium backup to back up all my apps and data. When I switch roms the apps usually all auto download from the market again and then some apps I restore because they have data, like colornote a notepad/list app or aldiko that has books, and a few others.

Using Astro you also can back up all the installation files on your phone to your card. Then you can install them all at once. No data, just fresh installs.

Ask for a favorite rom out of ten different roms out there and you know you will get ten different answers:) I tend to stick with one that works. Others like to bounce around flashing a couple a day as the releases come out. I like the smoked glass theme you can get with sapphire, but the one with "no fonts". Before flashing a theme or another rom or a kernel do a full advanced backup in case you don't like the change you made...or in case your phone doesn't like it. Get your apps all set up and the desktop/s how you like it, then back it up.

4. ChugIt

ChugIt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations! Welcome to the world of rooting!

5. THier

THier Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so is there a comparison to show the different ROMS?

Thanks,
    Tom

6. THier

THier Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now for the dumb question,,,

Do I load any ROM like I did the Sapphire Rom,, (change name to "update.zip" load it into the root directory, boot into recovery,, install "update.zip")

Of course I know (I think) I need to get rid of the sapphire, and replace it with the new ROM renamed to just "update.zip,, right?

Thanks,
    Tom