Finally considering rooting, thanks to FRG22DD

donerico

Reaction score
I have never been interested in rooting before; I don't care about themes, overclocking or wifi tethering. Thanks to Launcher Pro Plus and a few other applications and widgets I had my phone looking good and highly functional (my droid is not a toy but an extremelly versatile tool to communicate, organize and DO). I could do most things with no more than two clicks or swypes. Here comes FRG22D with its stupid exchange security implementation, now I have to enter a pin no matter what I want to do with my phone. I am sick of entering the idiotic pin number hundreds of times a day and there is no way around it if you are not rooted (touchdown might be an acceptable workaround if you do not need to sync with the stock calendar).
Sooo...I am seriously considering rooting for the first time. I know there are lots of guides and tools for this, but I am not sure which ones work best for FRG22D, any recommendation on where to start?

brute48

Reaction score
I went the easyroot route. No problems at all. Having the droid rooted is tons of fun. Trust me once you do you will want to try out some themes. There is so much you can do. I have used the Bugless rom and right now I am using CM6. Both are awesome.

OP
D

donerico

Reaction score
I went the easyroot route. No problems at all. Having the droid rooted is tons of fun. Trust me once you do you will want to try out some themes. There is so much you can do. I have used the Bugless rom and right now I am using CM6. Both are awesome.
I thought I read somewhere that easyroot does not work with FRG22D?
I should probably head over to the hacks section, no?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't use easyroot. Search for MotoCache1. He created a post for the right way to root from any version of the os (eclair, froyo, etc).

fiver643

Reaction score
i used one of those one click roots and it sucked(for me). i found a kid on craigslist the rooted me for 20 bucks. now my phone does this dancedroid

brute48

Reaction score
I used it when I was running 2.1. Not sure about it now. I am sure you can find some great info in the hacks section. Good luck!

eggsped

Reaction score
I used this to upgrade to FRG22D with root..

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-official-frg22d-stock-rooted.html#post795595

I had a few problems but it wasn't too bad in the end. I would assume you could ignore the FRG22D lines and end up with FRG01B rooted. I'm not much into custom themes or anything. I run the generic FRG01B with a black background and no widgets. I deleted all of the fluff I don't use and am very happy I rooted.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
check out my sig link 3 to root FRG22D.

and why pay $20 when the guide is free on here? heck i woulda done it for $19 :icon_ banana:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

and why pay $20 when the guide is free on here? heck i woulda done it for $19 :icon_ banana:
where were you 2 days ago lol. i was going to use your method, but i dont have a pc.

did he have one i assume? you didnt know anyone that you could borrow their computer for 20 min and saved that 20 spot

fiver643

Reaction score

where were you 2 days ago lol. i was going to use your method, but i dont have a pc.

did he have one i assume? you didnt know anyone that you could borrow their computer for 20 min and saved that 20 spot
im sure i could have. but that kid lives like 5 min from house, it took him like 10 mins to do it. save my self a headache. plus he put a bunch of paid apps on my sd for me

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

im sure i could have. but that kid lives like 5 min from house, it took him like 10 mins to do it. save my self a headache. plus he put a bunch of paid apps on my sd for me

haha well thats nice he charged you $20 and gave you stolen apps. have fun trying to get all of them to work with googles new anti piracy measures in place

Droooiiid

Reaction score
Going to root

When I do root am I going to lose all my sms/mms, call log, apps, photos and contacts? I know my contacts are stored in my gmail account, so maybe contacts isn't an issue.

Thanks to all.

Reaction score

This is what I used when I finally gave in to rooting. So much easier than you think when you read it.