Final thoughts of decision: "bionic or razr?" the end.

OP
B

bens42608

Well, it sounds to me like you have already made up your mind! That post was almost entirely PRO-Bionic!

And yes I did lol... that's why I bought the bionic but I still appreciate hearing how other peoples' rationalizations differed from mine

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

bens42608

I will say the data isn't entirely exaggerated. If you haven't had problems, that's cool! But a lot of us have. HOWEVER, it's not the end of the world and it certainly doesn't make Razr a better phone. I agree with everything else you said and especially appreciated the camera part. People expect the phone to be the best of everything, and it simply wont ever be possible. Even if the camera WAS somehow able to be made comparable to a professional camera, you'd still have natural lighting issues and too many buttons and things and then people would complain about that. Technology is an adventure and not a destination, and this is a pretty freaking sweet part of the adventure.

That's a very optimistic(yet very true) way of looking at it and I appreciate hearing your POV

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'm still awaiting some decent feedback from those two who almost IMMEDIATELY went pro-Razr with 0 explanation. I don't care if you want one, but I'd also like to know why.

To add a few potential benefits to your list, which was excellent btw, personally I don't think I'd like a super skinny phone like that. I think it LOOKS snazzy, but I like to feel my phone in my pocket and not have to double check it's not my 5-Energy Gum box. I like a decent weight, makes me feel like it's a solid piece of equipment, even if it doesn't have a "kevlar backing" (which, no, doesn't stop bullets). Also they did a drop test for the razr and it fared just as well as other phones. Little dinged up on the corners, but still runs fine unless it's dropped multiple times.

So in this battle, I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference, as I've said all along. Do you want a skinny phone? Do you use your phone outside a lot? Do you have small hands? When it comes to everything else, there really is no point in comparing since it's basically the same thing.

Also, the ONLY thing I sort of disagree with is the data drops being exaggerated. It's a real issue, I barely experience it, but for those on fringe zones it can actually be a fairly common occurrence, which would piss me off too. Unless by exaggerated you mean the majority of people don't have this issue and it's mostly those that are angry who speak out about it, then I guess yeah it's exaggerated a bit.

OP
B

bens42608

I'm still awaiting some decent feedback from those two who almost IMMEDIATELY went pro-Razr with 0 explanation. I don't care if you want one, but I'd also like to know why.

To add a few potential benefits to your list, which was excellent btw, personally I don't think I'd like a super skinny phone like that. I think it LOOKS snazzy, but I like to feel my phone in my pocket and not have to double check it's not my 5-Energy Gum box. I like a decent weight, makes me feel like it's a solid piece of equipment, even if it doesn't have a "kevlar backing" (which, no, doesn't stop bullets). Also they did a drop test for the razr and it fared just as well as other phones. Little dinged up on the corners, but still runs fine unless it's dropped multiple times.

So in this battle, I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference, as I've said all along. Do you want a skinny phone? Do you use your phone outside a lot? Do you have small hands? When it comes to everything else, there really is no point in comparing since it's basically the same thing.

Also, the ONLY thing I sort of disagree with is the data drops being exaggerated. It's a real issue, I barely experience it, but for those on fringe zones it can actually be a fairly common occurrence, which would piss me off too. Unless by exaggerated you mean the majority of people don't have this issue and it's mostly those that are angry who speak out about it, then I guess yeah it's exaggerated a bit.

I didn't mean to undermine any problems other people are having simply because I am not experiencing this, or to imply they are not telling the truth, I was using the word exaggeration in a different context and I edited my post to try to express myself more appropriately. Thanks for the feedback.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Thanks Horcrux, this has been a issue for me telling the 2 apart. Uve summed it up very well. The Bionic won hands down to me, it can have a extended battery, it has a better screen and its cheaper, its a no brainer. If I don't get the GN the Bionic will be my next phone. Thanks again.

Sent from my Moto Droid

OP
B

bens42608

Thanks for your post INCREMENTAL :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger concern here is that Voldemort's soul still lives on in the OP... we need to deal with this immediately.

Joking aside... (or not?!?)... I've had both phones in my possession at the same time. I finally returned the Razr tonight. Great device, solid, very solid, piece of hardware and engineering. I don't know if it has a different GPU, but the graphics/transitions felt a bit smoother on the Razr - obviously it's clocked slightly higher as well. The external speaker seemed better/louder on the Razr, but both are great. I had similar data drop "issues" on the Razr as the Bionic, but my issues have by no means been near as bad as some people, and almost nonexistent the last week or so. The feel of the phones is definitely a personal preference, and while the Razr did feel good and solid, the Bionic felt better overall to me, when including ergonomics. I got better battery life on the Bionic, quite a bit better.

The screens... each has its own quirks. Neither are perfect. However, if I'm going to have a quirky screen, I'd rather have one with some practical benefits to it (i.e. outdoor viewing). So I prefer the Bionic in that regard as well.

What did I prefer on the Razr? SmartActions is very helpful. As mentioned, just felt smoother overall. Despite my comment above on the screens, the Razr's did look better when the colors weren't oversaturated. I liked having the ability to uninstall some bloat, and hide just about anything in the stock launcher.

Both great devices... personal preference is key. Problem is the Bionic has a lot of haters right now (and some for legitimate reason), and the Razr is the next step, so it has a lot of "lovers" as well... therefore you get too many dogmatic opinions on these two phones.

Last edited:

Spartans_08

Reaction score
It also depends on whether or not you would want to root these phones.

At the moment the bionic has at least 4 different ROMs to play with (obviously the razr will get some I'm guessing sooner rather than later) I have been running liberty 3 test 5 (2.0) and aside from all the awesome customization options, I haven't had one data problem since I installed it 5 days ago...no reboots or any other issues and I'm still on .886.

I realize moto has to do something about these issues...but for the bionic, at least you can try an alternative until an OTA has been released.

That being said, I haven't seen, or got my hands on a razr so I have no business saying which phone to get, I definitely love my liberated bionic though ;)

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for a great post. One thing I would like to have seen included though is the reasons you leaned toward the RAZR, if any. I'm disappointed that many of the replies didn't include any reasons at all - making this thread less useful for its intended purpose.

I agree with all your pro-Bionic reasoning, except one: speed. While it may not be a significant difference now (and I don't think it is), if Motorola keeps both the Bionic and RAZR at their current clock speeds for the life of the products, it's possible that the RAZR will see software updates that the Bionic will not, because the Bionic will be deemed to be insufficient.

The only things I can find that cause me to lean toward the RAZR are software related - the camera speed, and the ability to remove bloat and hide apps. Since I expect these things to all even out as software updates are released, I consider them non-issues when it comes to locking myself into a piece of hardware for two years (assuming I'm not willing/able to pay full retail).

OP
B

bens42608

I think the bigger concern here is that Voldemort's soul still lives on in the OP... we need to deal with this immediately

Lmao I've been waiting for someone to make fun of me fir that. I made that name back in feb. And I do not know why I chose that or what state of altered consciousness I was in when doing it but I can't find a way ti change it now - believe me I tried. ..... either that or I really am possessed.

Husker_fan_

Reaction score
I finally messed with a razr. A guy at work had one and I messed with it for a few minutes. They're really similar. I do like the feel of the bionic better. The razr is wider and you can tell. Its also really light. Almost too light for my taste. I noticed I was handling it like Id hold a baby lol. Im sure its something I'd get used to though. Camera? Exactly the same one with a faster shutter. Still takes a bit to focus but a big improvement. His biggest complaint so far? No removable battery. Would I trade? Nope. I like what I have and playing with the razr made me like it more. I must admit I even had some buyers remorse when I saw the razr was coming out. Its gone now. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Jelem1880

Reaction score
I've had my bionic since the week it was released and I still love this phone. I agree with most of the OP's post except for the part about the camera. It's terrible. I'm still not gonna return my phone over a terrible camera but it does bug me that it is worse than my OG Droid. I dont expect it to match my stand alone camera but it should be better. Still a great phone though.

OP
S

SFGate

Thank you for providing this input. Am certain some will find this thread helpful. It would be more helpful if everyone responding would give reasons for their choices. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger concern here is that Voldemort's soul still lives on in the OP... we need to deal with this immediately

Lmao I've been waiting for someone to make fun of me fir that. I made that name back in feb. And I do not know why I chose that or what state of altered consciousness I was in when doing it but I can't find a way ti change it now - believe me I tried. ..... either that or I really am possessed.

no making fun here... I'm a HP fanboy big time - loved the books and movies!

and if you really want to change your name once, shoot me a pm... unless you want to change it to Nagini... :icon_eek: