Final Answer: Does ICS Break "CDMA Only" Setting In D4

Inundated

Reaction score
I've been ranting about this in the D4 ICS leak thread...my worry that the ICS update for the Droid 4 will break the ability to go into the Mobile Network Settings menu and turn OFF 4G (CDMA Only). I do this, as many others do, to save battery life when I'm away from a charger or power source for a long time.

The screenshots in the ICS leak thread show three settings: Global, LTE/CDMA and UMTS/GSM, with no separate option to switch between LTE/CDMA and CDMA Only.

I think I've figured it out, with help from some friends in another (non-Android-topic) forum.

It is not necessarily ICS itself that does this. It's the capability to do global roaming, which is apparently bundled into the 4.0.4 update for the Droid 4, the Droid RAZR and the Droid RAZR MAXX (the last two are now released).

Fortunately, there's a way around it.

The app LTE OnOff, which is in the Google Play store and says it's for the HTC Thunderbolt, will also work on the D4...and as I've been shown, post-update on the RAZR/RAZR MAXX. (I don't have the ICS leak for the D4.)

Instead of popping up a direct menu, the LTE OnOff app on the D4/RAZR/RAZR MAXX pops you into the phone's internal phone info screen.

Scroll down until you can select networks...open the menu and select one of these:

GSM/CDMA only (PRL) - for 4G/LTE
CDMA only (PRL) - for 3G

*** CAREFUL HERE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE OTHER OPTIONS DO! *** If your phone stops working because you hit the wrong menu option, select the right one...but I'm not responsible if it doesn't work after this! It should be OK, though.

After selecting one, just let it flip in a few seconds. That's it!

On the D4/RAZR/RAZR MAXX, LTE OnOff takes you to the same internal menu as this phone keypad code:

*#*#4636#*#*

I hope this helps someone. I asked, and asked, and Google searched, and asked, and it took all that to get to this point.

Last edited:
OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
Those network settings may change on the Global Roaming enabled D4/ICS. Can someone with the leaked ICS check for me? Thanks.

cbalde04

Reaction score
I'm still on the 6.16.200 leak of ICS, and it does give the option for "CDMA Only". Here's the screenshot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

silverfang77

Reaction score
Why would they remove the 3G only option when LTE isn't universally available yet?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
Why would they remove the 3G only option when LTE isn't universally available yet?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Not talking about it being removed from the phone itself...only talking about the menu option to set it (by the user, manually).

silverfang77

Reaction score
That's what I mean. Why would they remove the option to set the phone to CDMA only? LTE isn't available everywhere yet, but these phones will keep trying to find a 4G signal, killing their (non-removable) battery in the process.

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
I'm not even sure why that other message shows it gone from a D4 ICS leak. Maybe they put it back in, and all will be well when the update finally gets pushed out.

Let's see if I can carry that screenshot here directly:

View attachment 52007

Dave Lister

Reaction score
There is another way to turn off LTE, but there are a few steps involved. Using the app AnyCut, create a shortcut to the Programming Menu. Launch that and select "06 Test Mode". Hit Next twice and under Network Mode touch the little triangle on the right side. There you can set CDMA and EVDO, CDMA only, or one of a few other options. After you hit Back and exit the programming menu, the phone will reboot into your selected mode.

hradek422

Reaction score
I'm not even sure why that other message shows it gone from a D4 ICS leak. Maybe they put it back in, and all will be well when the update finally gets pushed out.

Let's see if I can carry that screenshot here directly:

View attachment 52007

They didn't add it back in. The screenshot in the thread I posted in above, is on ICS version .212, which is pretty much the latest leak out. The CDMA Only was removed.

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
They didn't add it back in. The screenshot in the thread I posted in above, is on ICS version .212, which is pretty much the latest leak out. The CDMA Only was removed.

Oh, great.

Can you still get CDMA Only via the internal phone info menu?

OP
I

Inundated

Reaction score
And now that I'm on the newly released ICS for the D4:

CDMA Only is indeed gone from the open Mobile Networks menu.

The app LTE OnOff does work to take you to the internal phone menu, and you can select CDMA auto (PRL) to go into 3G,

The app Phone Info also works to do the same, but you have to select the Phone Information menu option first. That takes you to the same screen reached directly by LTE OnOff.

Both apps are free, in the Google Play store last I checked.

swc2001

Reaction score
I've been ranting about this in the D4 ICS leak thread...my worry that the ICS update for the Droid 4 will break the ability to go into the Mobile Network Settings menu and turn OFF 4G (CDMA Only). I do this, as many others do, to save battery life when I'm away from a charger or power source for a long time.

The screenshots in the ICS leak thread show three settings: Global, LTE/CDMA and UMTS/GSM, with no separate option to switch between LTE/CDMA and CDMA Only.

I think I've figured it out, with help from some friends in another (non-Android-topic) forum.

It is not necessarily ICS itself that does this. It's the capability to do global roaming, which is apparently bundled into the 4.0.4 update for the Droid 4, the Droid RAZR and the Droid RAZR MAXX (the last two are now released).

Fortunately, there's a way around it.

The app LTE OnOff, which is in the Google Play store and says it's for the HTC Thunderbolt, will also work on the D4...and as I've been shown, post-update on the RAZR/RAZR MAXX. (I don't have the ICS leak for the D4.)
Well using the app lte on off did the trick for me. I just wanted to thank you for posting this it helped me out alot.

Instead of popping up a direct menu, the LTE OnOff app on the D4/RAZR/RAZR MAXX pops you into the phone's internal phone info screen.

Scroll down until you can select networks...open the menu and select one of these:

GSM/CDMA only (PRL) - for 4G/LTE
CDMA only (PRL) - for 3G

*** CAREFUL HERE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE OTHER OPTIONS DO! *** If your phone stops working because you hit the wrong menu option, select the right one...but I'm not responsible if it doesn't work after this! It should be OK, though.

After selecting one, just let it flip in a few seconds. That's it!

On the D4/RAZR/RAZR MAXX, LTE OnOff takes you to the same internal menu as this phone keypad code:

*#*#4636#*#*

I hope this helps someone. I asked, and asked, and Google searched, and asked, and it took all that to get to this point.
Thank you for posting this useful tip. It helped me alot!