Filter email out email i don't want on android

NetComrade

Reaction score
On the blackberry i used to be able to filter out anything I didn't want on BB, but was ok to be in Outlook (the sweet thing was that the rules were stored on the server too, which meant no new setup if I switched devices)

Anything like that on the Droid?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
On the blackberry i used to be able to filter out anything I didn't want on BB, but was ok to be in Outlook (the sweet thing was that the rules were stored on the server too, which meant no new setup if I switched devices)

Anything like that on the Droid?

Not sure if an app like Touchdown provides such functionality (directly on the Droid), but I accomplish exactly what you're trying to do by putting rules in Outlook that exclude certain emails (from particular senders/topics/etc) from being forwarded to gmail. Otherwise, I simply forward my Outlook email to gmail. I then have my Droid checking my gmail account rather than my Outlook account.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, there's no BIS equivalent in the Android world so there's nothing like BIS filters.

Second, if you want to filter email that gets delivered to your device then you need to filter it before it hits the device.

Additionally, you really need to clarify your situation. We're all using different email accounts and apps and your options will be limited by what you're specifically using. If you're talking about gmail, the closest thing I can find is selecting only certain labels to sync. The other part of that solution would be implementing filters or whatever to label your mail.

If you're not talking about gmail then please let us know so we can help you. Jsh1120's post is a perfect example of yet another email setup with its own possible solutions. I'm on Exchange so I have server-side rules that I can use to filter mail into subfolders. I just choose not to sync certain subfolders.

If you have a POP account you may be out of luck unless you use gmail as an intermediary. Or unless someone more clever than I am has a suggestion.

Last edited:

barrettrking

Reaction score
I'm a recent convert from the BB Curve, so I miss the BIS filter functionality.

I've only set up my personal Gmail account and a school account on my phone. I don't care about the school account, since I get maybe two emails a month there and only during the semester.

For my Gmail, I get daily emails from different vendors, digest emails from listservs, and other messages I don't care to see pushed to my phone. I'm interested in filtering these out from coming to my Droid.

So, all I've determined that I can do is this: set up a filter within Gmail on my browser that automatically applies a label to the email I don't want synced to my phone. Then, on my droid, go into Gmail, settings, then "labels", and select the label I _don't_ want synchronized, and pick "none." Voila! No more emails from the websites I shop at.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Set up your rules in outlook on your desktop. Move emails to folders based on those rules. On the Droid only display the folders that contain the emails you want to see on that device. The desktop gets all the folders.

No need to worry about if you set the rule before the email hits the device if you are using Exchange as your email setup. Both devices sync to thge server so both devices see the exact same thing and it is all dynamic.

Nate

barrettrking

Reaction score
So, all I've determined that I can do is this: set up a filter within Gmail on my browser that automatically applies a label to the email I don't want synced to my phone. Then, on my droid, go into Gmail, settings, then "labels", and select the label I _don't_ want synchronized, and pick "none." Voila! No more emails from the websites I shop at.

I spoke too soon. Now I'm still getting the daily email from Groupon, etc., even though I set Gmail to auto-label them "listervs" and set my Droid to never sync that label. BOOOO!

farmermike

Reaction score
Set up your rules in outlook on your desktop. Move emails to folders based on those rules. On the Droid only display the folders that contain the emails you want to see on that device. The desktop gets all the folders.

No need to worry about if you set the rule before the email hits the device if you are using Exchange as your email setup. Both devices sync to thge server so both devices see the exact same thing and it is all dynamic.

Nate

Hi Nate - Altho I'm using a BB Bold 9780, which is great for email filtering, I'd like to buy a myTouch G4, which I tested for a week. Will your suggestion (above) make the myTouch filter my email, which is a POP account (earthlink.net)? I use Mac's Mail pgm but could switch to Outlook I guess. I don't want to get a gmail acct, b/c I like my earthlink address too much and someone else has the same address for gmail so I can't switch. Thx for any insight.

hkay1

Reaction score

Hi there, I am new to droid too and miss this functionality....so I have set up folders in Gmail but I can't figure out how to edit which folders get displayed. The email account I am trying to do this for is a corporate Gmail account, but it is set up like a regular account which I am wondering if that is the problem.

glensantacruz

Reaction score
This thread is a bit old now, but there is an app that has very similar functionality to the old BlackBerry tier 1 support.

It is called eNotify, free version here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hermes.enotifylite&hl=en_GB

It lets you create triggers based on sender, recipient, subject, body, priority flag and more. You can assign a unique sound to each trigger and also add a schedule to each trigger. It covers most of what was available on the BlackBerry.

The app supports any type of email IMAP, POP3 or Exchange via EWS or IMAP. It also does push-mail / imap-idle.

Cheers,
Glen