Files from a dead Razr

bnp415

Reaction score
I have a RAZR. It's smashed. No screen & no power. I was able to salvage the SD card and SIM. I didn't realize pictures from texts were stored internally by default. USB is non-responsive. The phone is completely dead. Is there a way to extract the photos?

For instance, can I get into the hardware?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Unfortunately, if it won't power up, what is stored on the internal SD card is essentially a loss. The internal SD card is a surface-mount chip, soldered directly onto the motherboard and not removable.

Theoretically, you could de-solder it and remove it but it's a raw flash ram card, meaning there is no memory controller in the chip so it's not like the removable one where it can be plugged in and begins working immediately. Also, removing it brings with it the risk of static discharge which could destroy any data on it as well.

There may be a data recovery company out there which could retrieve the data through some technical miracle-working, but it would be very expensive and probably only worthwhile if the data is hyper-critical. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

bnp415

Reaction score
That was my assumption. The battery ribbon cable has been torn. Anyone know where to get a battery for RAZR in the Atlanta area? Any repair shops? At least, then, I can hook it up to USB. I've already ordered one online, but I'm not sure I'll get it before I need to send the damaged phone back to Asurion.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That was my assumption. The battery ribbon cable has been torn. Anyone know where to get a battery for RAZR in the Atlanta area? Any repair shops? At least, then, I can hook it up to USB. I've already ordered one online, but I'm not sure I'll get it before I need to send the damaged phone back to Asurion.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Here's a search listing several sources, but I am not attesting to any as being either more or less reliable than the other.

qurl.orgood luck! :biggrin:

avenged61973

Reaction score
I had to jump my phone on Christmas eve trying to get the jelly bean leak I let my battery die flashing it back to stock! Oops! All you have to do is take a phone charger cut the end off that plugs into your phone, strip the wires (I had a red and a black wire.) You hook the red wire to the positive and the black to the negative terminals that the battery ribbon screws into. then plug it in. It makes your phone think it has 50% charge. I used an old LG charger I had from an old phone it worked like a charm!

yaterml

Reaction score
Feel free to explain that process if you have the time! Sounds interesting.

Its not that hard you need
1) Soldering Station
2) Static Free Pad
3) Razor Knife
4) Point Tip Solder Gun
5) A piece of wire for each broken fiber of the cable

Way one is to jumper point of contact on board 1 to point of contact in the terminal. Its not really that hard it still is conductive and will transfer the electric signal. Way 2 is to lightly strip with broken ribbon cable with your razor knife on both sides and heat press the 2 together with the side of the iron. Some people will also solder jumpers from one to the other but this can get very messy. I prefer to just replace then entire ribbon cable. I have seen people do things like this in a tight pinch. Too much heat will cook the cable and can make things worse. its fun. When you have a background in EE the insane is routine.

yaterml

Reaction score
I had to jump my phone on Christmas eve trying to get the jelly bean leak I let my battery die flashing it back to stock! Oops! All you have to do is take a phone charger cut the end off that plugs into your phone, strip the wires (I had a red and a black wire.) You hook the red wire to the positive and the black to the negative terminals that the battery ribbon screws into. then plug it in. It makes your phone think it has 50% charge. I used an old LG charger I had from an old phone it worked like a charm!

For a bad ribbon connector on the lipo battery I would just either 1 direct wire a the control board on the battery point for point to the phone's ribbon terminal, bypassing the ribbon cable. 2 like you said direct wire a usb connection to give it power bypassing the battery this should work although it will usually display the battery with an ? mark or ! over it.

avenged61973

Reaction score
For a bad ribbon connector on the lipo battery I would just either 1 direct wire a the control board on the battery point for point to the phone's ribbon terminal, bypassing the ribbon cable. 2 like you said direct wire a usb connection to give it power bypassing the battery this should work although it will usually display the battery with an ? mark or ! over it.

Yes it did display a? Over my battery, when I did it. But I found out I broke my battery ribbon and had to order a new battery for my phone. Had a bad night with my phone on Christmas eve! Lol

yaterml

Reaction score
Yes it did display a? Over my battery, when I did it. But I found out I broke my battery ribbon and had to order a new battery for my phone. Had a bad night with my phone on Christmas eve! Lol

Oh I bet that would still suck regardless

OP
B

bnp415

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it works out.