Files cached somewhere?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by czerdrill, May 5, 2010.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Running into a weird and annoying problem. I'm trying to replace some files with customized ones, namely my launcher.apk, and my bootanimation. Normally, I'd edit the files, then apply them as an update.zip and that's always worked. However, it's not working for me for some reason. For example

for the launcher.apk, I deleted the old launcher.apk and then ran the update.zip with the new launcher.apk in it. when i restart etc and go to root explorer and view the contents of launcher.apk i see that my edited files are there and in place however, the widget shows up like the default stock one. it's like the system is ignoring what's actually there and pulling the stock ones from somewhere

for the bootanimation.zip i deleted the current one, and the pasted my new one into /data/local. restart, but the old one still shows. I search in rootexplorer and the only instance of bootanimation.zip i find is the new one. So where is the old one pulling from? and how is it playing?

I tried an adb push, I tried a root explorer cut and paste, and i tried pete's switchboot script. All appear to work, and the old bootanimation is in fact gone from the filesystem, but it still shows when I restart the phone.

Are the files cached somewhere, or is teh system reading a cache from somewhere? Any help would be great.

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure on the Launcher.apk issue, but for boot animations, the android system will actually look in a few different places (in some specific order) for the animation and use the first one it finds.

I don't remember the order of the locations offhand, but I found a copy of bootanimation.zip in /system/media and /system/bin (what is it doing in bin? It's not executable!)

3. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    it might also help if the file i was applying wasn't corrupt and 0KB . I redownloaded the bootanimation and it worked. Thanks for your help se7enlc, but this one was just me being a moron.

i gotta check if the launcher.apk was the same deal, although that one i dont think was....but after this anything is possible i guess...haha

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    disregard this post...i've realized i'm playing with my phone too much and missing the obvious haha...