File Transfer from MacBook Pro

Gus

Reaction score
I'm a sort of a newb with all this stuff, so forgive the ignorance if it rears it's ugly head.

I'm a new Droid owner/user and have a MacBook Pro, and I am having a couple of issues transferring files.

First, I am connected and mounted with a USB, and am able to find the Droid in "Preview". It is my understanding that I should be able to simply drag files into this window and they will be added to the Droid. However, this doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I have Documents To Go installed on my Droid, and I am trying to open an Excel document that I emailed to myself as an attachment, but the Droid won't open it. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

deadernie

Reaction score
I did the same with mine but with a word document and had no problem. Opened it on my droid with documents to go app. I saved it in my downloads folder (probably not necessary. Just did that so I knew where to look) and made sure I included the file extension as part of the file name (.doc, .xls, .jpg etc).

Statman

Reaction score
I'm a new Droid owner/user and have a MacBook Pro, and I am having a couple of issues transferring files.

First, I am connected and mounted with a USB, and am able to find the Droid in "Preview". It is my understanding that I should be able to simply drag files into this window and they will be added to the Droid. However, this doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

What files are you trying to transfer? When connected to the mac, you should see a "drive" show up on the desktop (this is the finder, not preview). You open the drive (double click) and drag and drop your photos and mp3 files onto the drive.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gus, I'm new to Droid and have a new MacBook Pro, also. To-date, I've been able to move a few photos and ringtones to my phone. I did not use preview. Instead, prior to mounting my phone, I created two folders that contained the pictures and ringtones. Once mounted, the "no name" icon for my phone appeared, so I did a click and drag of the two folders to "no name" icon, then ejected and unmounted.

During my first attempt I did not EJECT and my Sd card locked. I had to take my phone to VZW and they reformatted the Sd card. I've been fine since.

I do not have any experience with documents to go. However, since, I have the Mac version of the Office Software Suite, I will install. I'll let you know how I make out.

Please keep in touch! So many of the discussions and forums are Windows based so it is good to see other Mac users.
BTW--I'm a former iPhone user got my Droid between Christmas and New Year.

Mike

OP
G

Gus

Reaction score

What files are you trying to transfer? When connected to the mac, you should see a "drive" show up on the desktop (this is the finder, not preview). You open the drive (double click) and drag and drop your photos and mp3 files onto the drive.

OK. Just had the wrong window open. It seems to work with photos and music just fine, but I still can't seem to transfer the Excel file. I dragged it into documents, but it's nowhere to be found on the Droid. Any idea on how to do this?

OP
G

Gus

Reaction score
So, I created a file on my laptop for Word/Excel documents and dragged it into the No Name window, and it appears to be there.

When I open up Documents To Go on my Droid and choose Sheet To Go/Open file..., the folder appears in the list, but when I tap it, the documents are not there and only the "Up" icon shows up.

Can anyone help with this? Am I doing something wrong?