File Structure on Android

turbomentor

Reaction score
Noob to the Android and the Incredible, long time smartphone user (BB Storm).

I had a buddy email a file to me the other day. I am able to open the email then open the file (actually the button in the email says "Preview"). I want to download the file to my phone, then be able to access it at will, vice having to open the email then open the file.

Similarly, I went to a website and played an ogg file (DRROOOOOID!). I want to figure out where that file is stored on my phone so I can set it as a ring tone. I'm used to being able to do that directly on my BB. Right click the file and save to a file location (usually my microSD).

I'm guessing the answer is going to be "wait for Incredible Rooting" or something similar because I've messed around a good deal and can't figure out how to find where downloaded files (multimedia or otherwise) go.

Thanks for the help.

chuck4buck

Reaction score
Blackmoon AttachSave

I use Blackmoon AttachSave it works great for saving attachments from your email. You can read more about it here.

nightfishing

Reaction score
Attachment dl'ing works on the Mail app (but not on the gmail app)

File structure on the Inc is VERY similar to the Storm (and accessed the same way).

Either plug it into your computer and browse the SDCard with Windows or dl a File Explorer from the market.

I use eStrongs EStrongs File Explorer - Android app on AppBrain

(due to LAN access), but Astro is VG also.

The only thing to watch out for is: when asked always pick to save on the SDCard. Some direcotories are not fully accessible in Phone storage unless rooted. The SDCard is not effected by any of that.

matt30

Reaction score
The files are saved on the '/sdcard/download/' directory. You can't explore folders directly with the stock apps. You use can pdf viewer and it will search your phone for all PDF files, Quickoffice for an MS office attachment, or the pictures apps to search all picture attachments. If it's not recognized by any program you have to plug the phone into your computer.

I recommend Astro File Manager to see all your phones folders. '/emmc/' is the phone's internal storage and '/sdcard/' is the external storage.

jdeslip

Reaction score
I'm developer trying to modify an app to work properly on the incredible. Can someone tell me the browser downloads files to if there is no sdcard installed (I assume it can't be /sdcard/download) perhaps /emmc/something? And does it change location if you do have an sdcard installed?