Figured out how to root, but confused about backup and SPRecovery

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by the5rivers, Feb 1, 2010.

1. the5rivers

the5rivers New Member

Hey guys, just bought a Droid, and registered for the site. Newbie to the Android game. Was a WM user for years, and was proficient with unlocking SPL/flashing/cooking roms for WM phones.

Have read through the various threads on how to root, etc, and it seems pretty straightforward after reading through tutorials, but I have noticed that many users have stated making a back up and using SPRecovery. I know that these have something to do with having recovery images in case the phone experiences problems, but I do not know how to go about making back ups or using SPRecovery, of if these are one and the same thing. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

I couldnt find a thread or guide that had this info in it, so I apologize ahead of time if this has already been posted. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Obviously having a back up image would be important before I root my phone!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
  3. ashkev843

ashkev843 New Member

It is really one in the same. SPRecovery is where you go into to make backup images or restore you system to an earlier version you have saved. Has options for mounting, etc so you can push over files to your phone while it is in recovery mode.
  4. the5rivers

the5rivers New Member

5. the5rivers

the5rivers New Member

Thanks for this info. So do I use SPRecovery first to make a back up image of the stock rom, and then root, or do it vice versa?
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Root first, install sp, make backup, install update.zip or install the rom using a nandroid backup
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

1. Download all the files you will need first. (You may need to search for them):
    update.zip - Grants super user (root) access to the phone.
    flash_image - Utility used for flashing recovery.img.
    recovery-0.99.2b.img - Thanks SirPsycoS and Sholes.info!!
    virginoem-backup.zip - A clean 2.0.1 ROM with root and busybox.
    sholes_info-1.0.1.rom.tgz - Sholes.info ROM. This is where the GOODS are. Be sure to check for ROM updates at www.sholes.info.

2. Copy 'update.zip' from your computer to the root of your phone's sdcard. Disconnect usb.

3. Turn off phone.

4. While the phone is off, slide open the keyboard.

5. Hold down 'x' and then begin to hold down the power button at the same time. When the screen lights up, you can let go of the buttons. You will now be booted to a screen with an exclamation point in the middle.. Sort of like this /!\

6. Press the 'volume +' and 'camera' buttons together until you see the screen change to a menu.

7. Choose the option to 'run update.zip.' Wait for finish... This update gives you super user or 'root' access to the phones internal drive and filesystem. If you stopped here, you would simply have a 'rooted' phone.

8. Reboot phone.

9. Go to Android Market and install 'Android Terminal Emulator.'

10. If you downloaded flash_image from a differnt source than above it may have a '.zip' on the end of the file name. If this is the case, you will n eed to extract the zip file so you have 'flash_image' without '.zip.

11. Copy 'flash_image' from your computer to the root of your sdcard.

12. Copy 'recovery-0.99.2b.img' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Disconncet usb.

13. Open 'Android Terminal Emulator.' (In the launcher, you will see it is simply called 'Terminal Emulator'.) You will now see a blue screen with command prompt.

14. Slide open the keyboard and type 'su' then press 'enter'. You will be prompted to press 'Allow'. Press 'Allow'.

15. Type 'mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system'. This will make the phone's internal drive writable so that we can copy files to it from the sdcard in the next step.

16. Type 'dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/system/bin/flash_image'. It will tell you how many bytes in/out. This copies the flash_image utility to the phones internal drive where we need it.

17. Type 'chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image'. This changes the permissions of flash_image so that we can use it.

18. Type 'sync'.

19. This step was redundant and has been removed.

20. Type '/system/bin/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img'. There should be a short pause as the custom recovery image is flashed and then the command prompt will appear again. At this point, the stock recovery screen you saw in steps 6-7 has now been replaced by the one you will see in steps 29-30 and on. This recovery image was written by SirPsycoS and is shared by him at sholes.info.

21. Type 'mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old'. This should prevent the custom recovery from being over-written on reboot. If this step doesn't work for you, skip it. I've haven't witnessed the problem that it is supposed to prevent. bernal125 skipped it without issue. For others, this step has worked without issue.

22. Type 'sync'.

23. Close 'Android Terminal Emulator.'

24. Going back on your computer, extract 'virginoem-backup.zip' so that have you have folder called 'virginoem-backup' with the contents resembling 'boot.img' 'cach.tar' 'data.tar' etc...

25. Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'nandroid'.

26. Copy the folder 'virginoem-backup' from your computer to the 'nandroid' folder you just created on your sdcard in step 25.

27. Copy the file 'sholes_info-1.0.1.rom.tgz' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Make sure it is spelled 'sholes_info-1.0.1.rom.tgz'. Disconnect usb.

28. Power off the phone.

29 . Hold 'x' and power button to boot into recovery as in step 5 above. You won't get the exclamation point this time. Rather you will be booted right into the recovery.

30. READ THE RED COLORED TEXT SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MENU.

31. Choose 'backup/restore'.

32. Choose 'Advanced Nandroid backup'.

33. Choose 'Set backup name'.

34. Type a descriptive name for your backup and press enter.

35. Choose 'Perform backup'. An image of your phone's current state will now be made. It will take a couple minutes. With this backup you can always revert back if you don't like the ROM. Keep in mind if you revert back to this image, you will still be rooted with sprecovery. To return to FULL stock, visit this thread: *Easiest* way to get back to stock (No root, no busybox)
  8. the5rivers

the5rivers New Member

Perfect! Thanks for the advice my friend, I appreciate it! Just found some threads regarding how to use sp as well.

Thanks again guys!
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

If you follow the steps in post 7 you can't go wrong. And no thanks necessary, that's why we're all here
  10. ashkev843

ashkev843 New Member

you have to root first to gain access to put SPRecovery on. Once you have it rooted and SPR on your phone you can then do a backup of your stock system setup. Then you can go to town with all the different ROMs on here by saving them to a folder on your sdcard called nandroid that will appear once you have SPR in place. The nandroid folder is where all your backups are stored and read from. So if you download say the Smoke Glass Rom you would put that file in your nandroid folder. Then when you reboot into recovery mode you go to the restore option and choose a backup to restore with it will be there. Hope this makes sense.