Fiance already threatening to return droid, get iphone back...help w/ problem...

OP
J

JayC707

Reaction score
I have to go run some Christmas related errands for the next hour or so. After that I can give you more detailed instructions on creating the CSV by exporting your data. What version of Outlook are you running?

Thanks for your help.

I never had outlook setup, my contacts were from my iphone which I sync'd to my computer. They are saved as windows contact files (Contact file (.contact)) so I'm not sure what my options are at this point.

Anything you can suggest is greatly appreciated.

mrnelson86

Reaction score
Have you tried using Astro to access the files on the SD card? You connected the droid to the PC (I'm assuming not a mac correct?), mounted the sd card, copied the contact files to the sd card, UNmounted the card, and the contacts weren't there...so try using Astro to access the files that you copied over and see if you can add them to the contact list that way?

edit: If you don't want to or can't figure out that way, have you tried importing directly to your google account by opening the .contact files there?

Xerozix

Reaction score
The reason why it wont let you import cnlontacts from the SD card is because vcards are what Verizon uses to import and export contacts between phones.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i say let her switch. sounds like she already has her mind made up and she won't be happy with her "user un-friendly" phone.

if she wants to suffer in the "blue", let her suffer.

ldimick

Reaction score
Time to find a new fiance. :icon_ nono:

+1 hehehe.

Tell me, how long did she complain about getting her contacts over to her iphone from the earlier one? Or did the at rep do it for her?

That is a good question. The rep at most places will move them over for you. My daughter works at Best Buy and when I bought my drfoid she offered to move them over from the iPhone.

Another easy solution is to set up the iphone (using wifi) to sync with Gmail and then set the droid up to sync with Gmail.

As a last resort go back to Verizon and ask them to transfer them FOR FREE. DO NOT pay to have it done. They will try to charge $5-10 but do not let them get away with that.

MInkyboi

Reaction score
You are probably getting an error on the SD card because you have it mounted for the PC to see it.

IMO, the easiest thing to do is to export from Windows to a .CSV file. Then import it into GMAIL. I would not mess with trying to copy it to the SD card etc.

Sorry but of course I have it mounted to the PC, what is the alternative to transfer the information?

Re: The .CSV, how do I do this? Help?

I know you say you mounted it, but you should be able to access your SD card no matter what. By mount we dont mean to plug it into the computer.
Are you sure that after you plugged it in, you went to the notification drop down to select "Mount"

[video=youtube;w83UQkiuNZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83UQkiuNZQ[/video]

boatman2220

Reaction score
I'm curious why everything wasn't done when you got the phone. If you didn't get it at Verizon. I'd still let them do it and get the lady happy as soon as possible. Then if she's still unhappy, well there's just no pleasing some people.

OP
J

JayC707

Reaction score
Does gmail recognize .contact files???

Understand my situation...please...

The iPhone is gone, sold.
I use a PC
My contacts are stored as .contact file types, not in outlook, and not .csv format.

Now offer me the solution, please. :) Thanks!

ldimick

Reaction score
OK Open the file using Excel. It may complain about not recognizing the schema of the file. Tell it do it anyway.

SAVE THE FILE WITH A NEW FILENAME of type CSV

Now you should have several columns in your spreadsheet. Delete the columns that you don't want. Save the file again as a CSV.

Close Excel.

Now open Gmail and import that new CSV file.

CSV is a basic text file where each of the pieces of data is separated by a comma.